The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Hello, My 1953 Olds 88 2Dr. Stick

Search this Thread

Old September 8th, 2011 | 09:08 PM

Hello, My 1953 Olds 88 2Dr. Stick

I found the Classic Olds Forum by accident and joined. My first Olds was a 1952 Super 88 hardtop stick. I have a nice picture of the rear only. I may use it in my Avatar here. Here are a few pictures of my Olds when i purchased it in 2003 from Oregon. The group pictures were from the original ad on eBay. The lone picture is ith my wife in 2004. I purchased some better chrome parts and some 15 inch WW tires with rims.

I put new carpet and other accesories to upgrade it also. The car is laid out as it would be in the 1955-56 era. The motor is stock with 3 Stromberg carbs and Wiend aluminum manifold and alum.valve covers. A Mallory distributor and light chrome. It is column shift stick. There are a few items I need like a driver door glass and a cluster temp gauge that may be burnt out. Everything else is all working condition with 84K miles. This is a fine car.

Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
olds01.jpg (82.3 KB, 98 views)
olds02.jpg (72.9 KB, 100 views)
Maria_Olds 01.jpg (107.7 KB, 103 views)
Old September 8th, 2011 | 09:11 PM

Welcome to CO

Nice ride
Old September 8th, 2011 | 09:19 PM
goin crusn in my55 olds

Now thats a cool looking ride, i just purchased a 53 98 4 door, to add to my 55 super 88, the 53 is going to be low and slow, can i ask i want to put a set of triple lake pipes like the ones on yours, can you tell me what size yours are, i think they come 60", 70",or 80", would be much appreciated.
cheers chris.
Old September 8th, 2011 | 09:47 PM

Thank you Citcapp and Chris,

Citcapp, that is a big motor shoehorned in that early Olds. Nice ride.

Chris, Your Olds is a pretty one also. Darn pretty well in original state also.

The pics I have here have the triple long Lakes pipes. I got the car without them. I installed the single dummies and they are 60 inches long. They are holding up very well also. They came from a company here in the states which I am sure you are familiar with online. J.C. Whitney. I got my Olds group Avatar with the original 52 Olds Hdtp in place. Taken in Massachusetts, Cape Cod Canal with my wife in 1964. I bought it for $100 in 1962 with 70K miles on it. I miss that car. I had it setup as a mild custom with 55 Pontiac bumpers front and rear, 55 Desoto grill, 55 Crhysler taillights. The tranny let go later and I put in a 37 Buick floor shift box. It was rolled & pleated leather interior too. Nosed and decked with electric doors. It was looking good then and was pretty quick back then with the 4 barrel carb. It is many years ago and seemed like yesterday. That is my wife with our 1953 now also.
Bob
Old September 8th, 2011 | 09:51 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Neons, that is a gorgeous car. Really like the color combo. I was surprised to see the triple deuces under the hood.....
Rocketdownunder..what are the chances of someone else having the exact same color combos???
Old September 8th, 2011 | 10:39 PM
goin crusn in my55 olds

Originally Posted by Neons
Thank you Citcapp and Chris,

Citcapp, that is a big motor shoehorned in that early Olds. Nice ride.

Chris, Your Olds is a pretty one also. Darn pretty well in original state also.

The pics I have here have the triple long Lakes pipes. I got the car without them. I installed the single dummies and they are 60 inches long. They are holding up very well also. They came from a company here in the states which I am sure you are familiar with online. J.C. Whitney. I got my Olds group Avatar with the original 52 Olds Hdtp in place. Taken in Massachusetts, Cape Cod Canal with my wife in 1964. I bought it for $100 in 1962 with 70K miles on it. I miss that car. I had it setup as a mild custom with 55 Pontiac bumpers front and rear, 55 Desoto grill, 55 Crhysler taillights. The tranny let go later and I put in a 37 Buick floor shift box. It was rolled & pleated leather interior too. Nosed and decked with electric doors. It was looking good then and was pretty quick back then with the 4 barrel carb. It is many years ago and seemed like yesterday. That is my wife with our 1953 now also.
Bob
Thanks bob, by the look i may be able to go for the 70 inch as i would prefer to go all the way back and maybe start a little more forward, our 55 is pretty much restored original( still has the generator) and will be staying that way, the 53 we are going to have some fun with, just waiting for my import approval to australia, can't wait for it to get here so i can start tinkering here is a pic.
cheers chris.
IZAIAH2MONTHS6MONTHSMISCPIXS2011916.jpg
Old September 9th, 2011 | 03:06 AM

Nice car...but where is the 102" whip aerial??? My wife won't let me put one on our '57!!!

Last edited by Yellowstatue; September 9th, 2011 at 03:09 AM. Reason: Discovered sentence under keyboard!!
Old September 9th, 2011 | 03:21 AM
Oldsdruid

I'm digging those 53's- Chris' Ninety Eight esp brings back memories as a 53 98 was what brought me home from hospital as an infant and carted my folks around till 1960.
Old September 9th, 2011 | 05:25 AM

Thanks guys,
These 53's were a well made solid cars. Chris that 98 sure is purrty too. Nice condition also.

My ex -1952...........I had it setup as a mild custom with 55 Pontiac bumpers front and rear, 55 Desoto grill, 55 Crhysler taillights. The tranny let go later and I put in a 37 Buick floor shift box. It was rolled & pleated leather interior too. Nosed and decked with electric doors. It had a full set of real 55 Fiesta spinner hubcaps also. It was looking good then and was pretty quick back then with the 4 barrel carb. It is many years ago and seemed like yesterday.

Good Day,
Bob
Attached Images
52Olds_Canal.jpg (52.2 KB, 35 views)

Last edited by Neons; September 9th, 2011 at 06:11 AM.
Old September 9th, 2011 | 09:21 PM

Nice Olds, Bob.
Old September 10th, 2011 | 06:20 AM

Thanks 55. I like yours also. They were great cars back then. Bob
Old September 10th, 2011 | 06:30 AM

Welcome aboard

Nice car
Old September 10th, 2011 | 07:16 AM

Neons, love the 50's era Olds,they have class. You did a great job on the mild custom, reminds me of my high school days. Welcome aboard...Tedd
Old September 10th, 2011 | 11:45 AM

Nice car, welcome to the site
Old September 10th, 2011 | 11:51 AM

Nice setup, welcome.
Old September 10th, 2011 | 07:52 PM

James,Ted, Redog, and 1969W,
Thank you for your welcome and comments. I even have the raccoon tail on the antenna and the hat on the rear deck. Anyone from that era knows what it represents.
Good day.
Bob
Old September 10th, 2011 | 09:48 PM

Nice car. Thanks for sharing!
Old September 11th, 2011 | 08:48 AM

Hat and tail

Does that mean that you had critters in your car and you beat them with that funky hat? Tedd
Old September 11th, 2011 | 02:37 PM

Thanks Cratethis. Looks like a nice 55 there.I only see part of it in the Avatar.

Tedd,
Some poorcritter was shot to make that funky hat on the rear deck and antenna. I'll give you a clue. It may or may not have been Fess Parker of Davy Crockett. I have to keep an eye on it so some mutt doesn't fall in love with it.

Bob
Old September 11th, 2011 | 03:13 PM

I'll give you a clue. It may or may not have been Fess Parker of Davy Crockett.
That was going to be my guess!
Old September 11th, 2011 | 03:18 PM

I can say you are in my age group or at least know a fad frrom that time.. Good guess.
Bob
Old September 11th, 2011 | 03:45 PM
Past Administrator

Nice car, I like the fender skirts they make it look good. Welcome to our site.
Old September 11th, 2011 | 04:06 PM

Hi Oldguy. Thanks.
I bought an Olds from the 70's or sometime in that era for my daughter some years ago and it had that sledgehammer motor 455 in it. She used it for a couple years and junked it. I always envied that motor. I told her the motor was always worth more than the car. I hated to see it scrapped.
Bob
Old September 12th, 2011 | 05:21 PM

Here is a quiz for anyone reading this thread. Try this on a younger generation to see what kind of answer you get. How Old is Grandma?

Stay with this -- the answer is at the end. It will blow you and especially a younger generation away.

One evening a grandson was talking to his grandmother about current events.
The grandson asked his grandmother what she thought about the shootings at schools, the computer age, and just things in general..

The Grandmother replied, "Well, let me think a minute, I was born before:
' television
' penicillin
' polio shots
' frozen foods
' Xerox
' contact lenses
' Frisbees and
' the pill
There were no:
' credit cards
' laser beams or
' ball-point pens
Man had not invented:
' pantyhose
' air conditioners
' dishwashers
' clothes dryers
' and the clothes were hung out to dry in the fresh air and
' man hadn't yet walked on the moon .

Your Grandfather and I got married first, .. .... ... and only then lived together..
Every family had a father and a mother.
Until I was 25, I called every man older than me, "Sir".
And after I turned 25, I still called policemen and every man with a title, "Sir."
We were before gay-rights, computer- dating, dual careers, daycare centers, and group therapy.
Our lives were governed by the Ten Commandments, good judgment, and common sense.
We were taught to know the difference between right and wrong and to stand up and take responsibility for our actions.
Serving your country was a privilege; living in this country was a bigger privilege...
We thought fast food was what people ate during Lent.
Having a meaningful relationship meant getting along with your cousins.
Draft dodgers were those who closed front doors as the evening breeze started.
Time-sharing meant time the family spent together in the evenings and weekends-not purchasing condominiums.
We never heard of FM radios, tape decks, CD's, electric typewriters, yogurt, or guys wearing earrings other than pirates in movies.
We listened to Big Bands, Jack Benny, and very early Rock and Roll was starting to come in, and the President's speeches were on our radios.
And I don't ever remember any kid blowing his brains out listening to Tommy Dorsey.
If you saw anything with 'Made in Japan or China' on it, it was junk
The term 'making out' referred to how you did on your school exam....
Pizza Hut, Mc Don ald's, and instant coffee were unheard of.
We had 5 &10-cent stores where you could actually buy things for 5 and 10 cents.
Ice-cream cones, phone calls, rides on a streetcar, and a Pepsi were all a nickel. A cup of coffee was 10 cents.
And if you didn't want to splurge, you could spend your nickel on enough stamps to mail 1 letter and 2 postcards.
You could buy a new Ford Coupe for $600, . .. . but who could afford one?
Too bad, because gas was 11 cents a gallon.
In my day:
' "grass" was mowed,
' "coke" was a cold drink,
' "pot" was something your mother cooked in and
' "rock music" was your grandmother's lullaby.
' "Aids" were helpers in the Principal's office,
' "chip" meant a piece of wood,
' "hardware" was found in a hardware store and
' "software" wasn't even a word.
And we were the last generation to actually believe that a lady needed a husband to have a baby.
No wonder people call us "old and confused" and say there is a generation gap.
How old do you think I am?
I bet you have an old, old lady in mind....you are in for a shock!
Are you ready ?????

This woman would be only 59 years old.

Bob - 67 yoa
Old September 12th, 2011 | 06:47 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Neons
I can totally relate to that. Brings back some memories - some good; others not so good. But I lived through them too!
Old September 12th, 2011 | 06:51 PM

Welcome Neons. That is a fine looking car you have there. I hope one day my '56 will look anywhere near as nice as yours.

-Shaun
Old September 12th, 2011 | 07:14 PM

ShaunM Thank You. I am sure with your determination you will have a fine looking car. You have a great start already.

Allan,
Those early days did not have all the goodness of materials available today. But, those were my Golden years. I had some of my relatives and friends back then that are no longer here now. It was a more carefree time. I feel bad for many of todays kids. It is nice to look back to those days. At least we have some of our cars with us to roll back in time.
Bob
Old September 12th, 2011 | 07:18 PM

Thank you. I've got a good base, now I just need the time and money. No need to rush anything though.

-Shaun
Old September 12th, 2011 | 07:54 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Neons
............Allan, Those early days did not have all the goodness of materials available today. But, those were my Golden years. I had some of my relatives and friends back then that are no longer here now. It was a more carefree time. I feel bad for many of todays kids. It is nice to look back to those days. At least we have some of our cars with us to roll back in time.
Bob
Ditto Bob. Sounds like you and I are right around the same age. I also remember when:
My hair was brown instead of silver
My waist was a number less than 40
I could see long distances without glasses
I could stay up all night and not be phased
Bathroom breaks were for sissies
3 meals a day was not always enough
Leisure time meant a trip to the gym
my 72 Cutlass S was brand new
I learned to drive with my Dad (RIP)
Work was something you took seriously
A paycheck was actually paid in cash
Cars cost less than some monthly mortgages today
You popped pills only when you were sick and your Dr told you to
There was no waiting around in the Doctors office
Service stations actually had service attendants
and I remember most of all when I was young and carefree. Gas cost only 28 cents a gallon; and it was 2cents difference between reg & prem.
My uncle would send me to the gas station for 2 gallons of gas for the lawnmover, 3 packs of smokes (yeah they would sell to minors with no ID if you said it was for your Dad or Uncle) and I could have the rest of the 2 bucks for what ever I wanted.

Now I'm older but still feel young inside. Tell that to my bones and achey muscles sometimes.
Old September 15th, 2011 | 09:13 PM

Nice car!!!!!!
Old September 16th, 2011 | 05:09 AM

Thanks Spider,
That is a nice collection you have there also. The Cougar is a great car too.
Bob
Old December 12th, 2014 | 12:13 PM

Been a while since I have been here. Boy, where does all the time fly? But I had to take a look back here. Reached my 71 yoa today. Nice to see the cars again. Merry Christmas Olds people.
Neons - Bob
Old December 12th, 2014 | 04:55 PM

Welcome To C.O. .You will find a bunch of the 50's olds fans on this site. Enjoyed the pictures. Classy looking car and glad to have you. Larry
Old December 13th, 2014 | 01:12 PM

Glad to see you back and doing well, come visit often...Merry Christmas.....Tedd
Old December 16th, 2014 | 08:02 PM
GM Enthusiast

Welcome to CO, nice looking car!
Old December 13th, 2016 | 08:14 AM

Wow! time flies. Here I am again at 73yoa. Was here 2 years ago. Another pic of my 53 Olds Super 88.
Wishing all a very Merry Christmas
Bob
Attached Images
Ron Hamel Run -Oldsmobile.jpg (272.4 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by Neons; December 13th, 2016 at 03:15 PM.
Old December 13th, 2016 | 01:53 PM

AND "Party" was a noun