The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Hello from Houston-1956 Super 88

Search this Thread

Old October 28th, 2018, 05:16 PM

Hello from Houston-1956 Super 88

Hello everyone. I've been lurking around for a while but decided it's time to finally say hello. I'm Jarrad and the car is a 1956 Super 88.

Brief history for those interested: The car had a frame off restoration in the late 1990's. My grandfather bought it in 2004 (when I was 15), so I spent a lot of time working on it with him and going to car shows. When he passed in 2010 it came to me. At the time I was still in school, but we had it shipped down from Rhode Island where he lived to Houston. After finally getting out of school, I got it in my garage in 2016. It wasn't until early this year that I was able to begin giving it the attention it deserved--got it registered and back on the road. I recently had a disc brake conversion done and have since been driving it around and doing small things to learn as much as I can about everything.

Here are some pictures with my dad at a recent car show in Houston. I haven't been to a car show since my grandfather passed away, so it was certainly fitting for the first time to be with his Olds and being with my dad.

Old October 28th, 2018, 05:21 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Welcome. Very nice 56. There are lots of us on here with 50's cars but I think you are the youngest. A lot of us are old farts much older than your Dad. It is good to see a youngster interesting in the 50's cars. Let us know if we can help with anything.
Old October 29th, 2018, 03:36 AM

Welcome Jarred! That is a very nice car! Great story that you worked on it with your Grandfather. I also have a 56 that could be a twin to yours. I have hopes to leave my car to my Grandson who is 13 now and showing interest in the car. I installed seat belts and harness in the car when he was little so he could ride in it.
Rick
Old October 29th, 2018, 05:06 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, thanks for sharing your memories.
Old October 29th, 2018, 07:32 AM

Welcome aboard, great story neat car! My Old's also was previously owned in my case by my dad and handed down to me unrestored though, some of the best time were had with him and I working on that car.

This forum is a great place to pick up knowledge and a few good friends along the way. Many here have years experience on your era car and are willing to take their time and work you through most any problem you might encounter. See you around the Vintage forum where most of us 50's guys and gals hang ...Lost in the fifties ...Tedd
Old October 29th, 2018, 08:16 PM

Thanks everyone, I appreciate it! I will definitely be asking tons of questions...the shop manuals and google only get me so far!