The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Hello from Columbus OH!

Search this Thread

Old March 16th, 2014, 09:02 AM

Hello from Columbus OH!

Hello, Everyone, My name is Cody, I paint cars for a living, and I have a 1964 Oldsmobile Starfire. I stumbled across the forum, figured I would join. I'm currently in the process of restoring the car, I'm 21 years old and have had the car since i was 16. I have found in the past it's helpful to be able to pick peoples brains for ideas and it also helps to have people to turn to that may know things about the car i never did or could never find. Anyway I look forward to talking to many of you and ill be posting pictures as i progress through it. Thanks everyone!
Cody
Attached Images
Old March 16th, 2014, 09:15 AM
Administrator

Welcome, it's nice to get younger people into the hobby. Looks pretty solid.
Old March 16th, 2014, 09:31 AM

Thank You!, Fortunately the car is pretty clean. Motor and Trans are built and ready to go. All I have left is the chassis, suspension, interior and paint.
Old March 16th, 2014, 09:53 AM

Welcome to the forum, fellow buckeye!
Old March 16th, 2014, 09:56 AM

Welcome from C-BUS
Old March 16th, 2014, 10:40 AM

Welcome form the left coast

Glad to have you with us. Your part of the generation that will be assuming guardianship of these great cars and its nice to know you care
Old March 16th, 2014, 01:08 PM

Thank you everyone. My goal is to have the car drivable
In time for goodguys here in columbus in july, even if i have to go in primer id like to make it.
Old March 16th, 2014, 01:58 PM

Good project

Looks to be in good shape. Looking forward to seeing pics of the progress. You got a color in mind yet?
Old March 16th, 2014, 02:11 PM

Thanks. Yes I want the car to be the factory blue color, I believe its Wedgewood Mist Metallic. Ive thrown a few other ideas around in my head to compliment the blue, ive contemplated a blue body, white top with blue pearl, also have thought of doing a white marble effect for the top but I definitely want to incorporate the factory color into the car. Right now money is really just a factor at this point lol.
Old March 16th, 2014, 02:18 PM

I know how the money thing feels

At least you can do the paint yourself. My last estimate was around 12000.00. Ill be living with what I got for a while. Factory color is a good one.
Old March 16th, 2014, 02:23 PM

Yes I am very thankful for that lol. My biggest problem is, This is the first car ive ever restored, I know a little here and there from growing up working on cars with my dad, but he always drag raced so it was never anything resto related, every car he had was gutted and had aluminum interior and wheel tubs lol. He raced super gas. But where i get hazy is where to start when it comes to chassis and things like that. I dont have the resources to do a frame off right now so im trying to figure what the best way to attack this is.
Old March 16th, 2014, 02:29 PM
Administrator

Not every car has to be a frame off trailer queen. Theres a lot to be said for a driver. Just start with making sure the body is secured to the frame and replace/repair just what's necessary on the suspension, brakes, and front end, etc to make it safe and road worthy.
Old March 16th, 2014, 02:34 PM

Which leads me to a question actually. I haven't really looked into it a whole lot, but from hearing other people talk or whatever do you think finding suspension parts for this car will be a pain. Now as far as brakes go, I used to work at O'Reilly Auto Parts and we could get everything for the brakes except for drums, I imagine I can probably just have the drums turned but Ive yet to pull them off the car.
Old March 16th, 2014, 02:36 PM

preventive maint

At some point while the interior is still out you may want to look inside the doors and quarter panels for rust. Example: mine had minor surface rust so cleaned inside the body panels and I got some brush on rust converter and some rust encapsulate from Eastwood.com. Not very expensive and may prevent or slow down rust through after all the paint work.
Old March 16th, 2014, 02:41 PM

Welcome to CO, Cody! Nice car, and looks to be in good shape. Lots of good folks on here willing to help in any way! Be sure and post pictures as your Oldsmobile progresses!
Aron
Old March 16th, 2014, 02:41 PM

Oh yeah definitely! Yeah I'll certainly get as much rust taken care of as i can. The car had the lower half of the quarters replaced when I got it and thankfully they were done right. also the body mounts in the back of the car were rusting and those have been repaired and rust proofed as well. My main concerns are really chassis and interior. especially interior because while the seats aren't all that bad, the drivers front definitely needs new foam and a new cover, the passenger could use recovered. luckily the back seats are really unscathed. But I've never recovered a seat nor have i replaced the foam, I don't even know where to start there lol
Old March 16th, 2014, 02:42 PM

search

The parts wanted/for sale section of this forum may help with those items or search the internet. Fusick.com has some stuff. enter your year and model in the search pain of the internet. I found lots of places for my car.
Old March 16th, 2014, 02:45 PM

Thanks Aron!
Old March 16th, 2014, 02:46 PM

Look for a car upholsterer shop in your area. I've had work done in the past in St. Louis. Came out good. Check the better business bureau in your area for complaints before pulling the trigger.
Old March 16th, 2014, 03:14 PM

Welcome Fellow Buckeye! It's good to see a young guy interested in Oldsmobiles. Starfires of any year are rare at car shows. Get some lipstick and rouge on her for that Goodguys show. Good luck, Ken
Old March 16th, 2014, 03:17 PM

Thanks Kenny! Gary, are seats difficult enough to be unable to diy? Im pretty handy for the most part and if its something i can tackle id much rather do that.
Old March 16th, 2014, 04:18 PM

Usapartssupply.com

Just saw this website but never used them. They look like they have covers and other parts you may need. As I said, I never used them. You can probably do seat covers yourself if you can do body work.
Old March 16th, 2014, 04:21 PM

Gary, I found a place www.automotiveinteriors.com Looks like they had decent prices on covers and rebuild kits, certainly going to look into them
Old March 16th, 2014, 04:31 PM

Thanks

I'm going to save them to my favorites on my webpage. They do look interesting. May need them in the future.
Old March 16th, 2014, 05:33 PM
70 Cutlass SX

Welcome Cody. Great looking car, that puppy is going to be great. Nothing has to be done right away. Do not be in a rush, take your time and have fun.
It is all about the journey, not the destination.
Old March 17th, 2014, 01:30 PM

Hey Neighbor

Cody:
I live in Grove City and doing a major body off resto on my 66 Cutlass I have had since 1974, yes that makes me a few days older than you. It is great to see a younger guy into older cars instead of the all too common rice rockets w/ the weird sounding exhaust tone. Wear your Cowtown badge w/ honor when you go to the Good Guy Nats this summer.
Thanks Ron
Old March 18th, 2014, 09:08 AM

Thank you Pcard. Ron, i appreciate it, hopefully ill see you at goodguys, wether im in my car or just walking around i make it a point to be on 161 and doubletree every year haha. Like i said, if i have to be in primer ill be there
Old March 18th, 2014, 09:15 AM

Welcome Cody, It's always nice when some younger guys get involved.
Congrats on your Starfire they were great cars!
Old March 18th, 2014, 09:19 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by StarfireCoupe
Which leads me to a question actually. I haven't really looked into it a whole lot, but from hearing other people talk or whatever do you think finding suspension parts for this car will be a pain. Now as far as brakes go, I used to work at O'Reilly Auto Parts and we could get everything for the brakes except for drums, I imagine I can probably just have the drums turned but Ive yet to pull them off the car.
While not the cheapest source around, Kanter sells all the suspension and brake parts for this car.
Old March 18th, 2014, 10:05 AM

Welcome Cody, From Canton. I still work for O'Reilly have ex team member do a search for does drums for you or get them turn at the store. Good luck
Old March 18th, 2014, 02:11 PM
The Noob Messiah

Welcome aboard Cody....

Old painter here too....You will get lost in all the great info and tech stuff here. Just brilliant.
Old March 19th, 2014, 05:50 PM

Welcome from Louisville! (15 min. away from Canton, Lol)
Old March 20th, 2014, 06:25 AM
Oldsdruid

Looks like it has the rust common to many 64's, between door and rear wheelhouse. Looks like a good start though and a great color. I'd lean away from a two tone because the Starfire's body lines just don't lend themselves to it.

You've already learned a lot of the trim is Starfire-only and that the rear bumper is near impossible to find in good condition. The brackets are welded to the bar to eliminate bolts showing, and the tiny drain opening at the bottom gets plugged with road crap and the bumper rusts out from behind. 62-67 big Olds bumpers are all bad about it.

There are no 64 Starfire interior kits. It'll be a cut and stitch job. 1964 seats are combination leather bolsters and vinyl skirts and cushions, but the vinyl is common to 60s GM and easy to find. Metallic blue leather will be tough and expensive because to duplicate the color will require buying a whole hide. Many people just find a close smooth-grain vinyl to do the bolsters.
Old March 20th, 2014, 06:44 AM
Past Administrator

Welcome to CO Cody, glad that you have joined us.
Old March 21st, 2014, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
Looks like it has the rust common to many 64's, between door and rear wheelhouse. Looks like a good start though and a great color. I'd lean away from a two tone because the Starfire's body lines just don't lend themselves to it.

You've already learned a lot of the trim is Starfire-only and that the rear bumper is near impossible to find in good condition. The brackets are welded to the bar to eliminate bolts showing, and the tiny drain opening at the bottom gets plugged with road crap and the bumper rusts out from behind. 62-67 big Olds bumpers are all bad about it.

There are no 64 Starfire interior kits. It'll be a cut and stitch job. 1964 seats are combination leather bolsters and vinyl skirts and cushions, but the vinyl is common to 60s GM and easy to find. Metallic blue leather will be tough and expensive because to duplicate the color will require buying a whole hide. Many people just find a close smooth-grain vinyl to do the bolsters.
Thanks for the info Rocketraider. Definitely good stuff to know. The nice thing is even if i cant get the interior completely original as far as color and material, im ok with settling for a cheaper alternative that still looks good. Im 21 and engaged so money is a big factor for me right now lol. As far as the bumper your not kidding. I talked to a guy yesterday about one from an arizona car, unmolested for 1000 bucks. Dont get me wrong it sounds like a fair price for an impossible to find bumper but i just cant do it right now. Ill have to put my car together this first time around as a budget build. Ill probably patch and paint my back bumper to match the car. The front bumper is luckily in good shape.
Old March 21st, 2014, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
Welcome to CO Cody, glad that you have joined us.
Thanks! Me too
Old March 21st, 2014, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by eric66
Welcome Cody, From Canton. I still work for O'Reilly have ex team member do a search for does drums for you or get them turn at the store. Good luck
Definitely. Im sure ill be able to turn them. Once i get them off the car Ill know for sure haha
Old March 21st, 2014, 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by txrob779
Welcome aboard Cody....

Old painter here too....You will get lost in all the great info and tech stuff here. Just brilliant.
Thankyou. I certainly dont doubt it. Hopefully i can help anyone as much as possible with paint info as well
Old March 21st, 2014, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by Keegan
Welcome from Louisville! (15 min. away from Canton, Lol)
Thanks!
Old March 21st, 2014, 07:03 AM

Welcome to the site. I hope to see you around town. I plan to have my car back on the road this summer too.

Quick Reply: Hello from Columbus OH!