The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Hello

Old October 28th, 2018, 02:08 PM

Hello

Hello,I am Alex and looking towards buying a 1966 to 1970 Olds Toronado.One is for memory reasons.Another is I love this body style of these years Olds Toronados.I remember seeing one when I was in the Marines.The owner and I talked more after I told him nice car,it was a blue one.Plus he let me drive it around,loved how it drove and handled.It was a 1969 Olds Toronado.It is time and going to take my time,will be next month after a getaway with my friend Angelica to Ireland.Been through a lot,husband passed away recently.
Old October 28th, 2018, 02:42 PM
Olds Fever

Welcome to the group... Sad to hear of your husband's recent passing... Good luck in your search for your dream Toronado... Post up a wanted ad in the classifieds and check out the Toronado section of this forum as well...
Old October 28th, 2018, 03:59 PM

Thanks and moving on very well.I still remember it to this day,came off my duty hours.Parked my car,came up and looked at it.The guy loved it after I told him nice car.
Old October 28th, 2018, 05:26 PM

Early Toronado's seemed to have disappeared off the map. I never see one on the road anymore. You have good taste, they are stunning cars and quite an engineering achievement. Finding a nice clean one may take some patience, lots of scammers out there. Buying locally is my favorite preference. Some options are this website / cars for sale, craigslist, ebay, and autotrader classics. Sorry for your loss, good luck finding your dream car. https://classics.autotrader.com/clas...6&year_to=1970
Old October 28th, 2018, 05:31 PM

I know it is going to be hard,have help from a local Toronado,Riviera and El Dorado club too.
Old October 28th, 2018, 06:28 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the, condolences. They are still out there, good luck in your quest.
Old October 28th, 2018, 07:34 PM

Did my research,parts were hard to find for the 1966 to 1970 Toronados.Now Classic Industries makes parts for them.
Old October 28th, 2018, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by Anoldslady
Hello,I am Alex and looking towards buying a 1966 to 1970 Olds Toronado.One is for memory reasons.Another is I love this body style of these years Olds Toronados.I remember seeing one when I was in the Marines.The owner and I talked more after I told him nice car,it was a blue one.Plus he let me drive it around,loved how it drove and handled.It was a 1969 Olds Toronado.It is time and going to take my time,will be next month after a getaway with my friend Angelica to Ireland.Been through a lot,husband passed away recently.
Welcome to the group Alex an sorry to hear about your husband. But on another note, have fun in Ireland! Been there back when I was in the Navy and it was awesome! And yes, I kissed the Blarney Stone!😀
Cheers!
Dave
Old October 28th, 2018, 08:51 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

You're in good company here. Dad had a Dubonnet (Plum colored) 66 Deluxe. Awesome car. Powerful comfortable ride, great looks. Love the 66-67 Rivs too.
You have knowledgeable people helping you look at cars, that's great. Take your time to find the right one.

Rust is your biggest concern. The A-pillars and dashboards seem to be susceptible to rot even in a southern car(desert cars seem to be exempt). Watch for collision damage and evidence of shotty body repairs. Look at the lower door seams, floorboards, and the undercarriage. Look under the trunk mat.
The comfortron AC system can be hard and expensive to repair.

If you can find a documented well cared for lower mileage example you will be far better off. Pay a little more you will be much farther ahead. Paint and mechanical work are much cheaper than rot repair.

Once its home it will need some immediate attention such as changing all the fluids.. trans, brake, steering, coolant, et al...radiator hoses, belts, soft rubber brake lines, rear wheel bearing grease etc...to make it safe and reliable but most of all FUN to drive.

Keep us updated and once you have it we like pictures here! hint hint.
Pick away at our Oldsmobile brains here. We are a one-stop wealth of knowledge....or at least we'd like to think so.

Last edited by droldsmorland; October 28th, 2018 at 08:54 PM.
Old October 29th, 2018, 05:47 PM

I might find one already restored too.Plus I know the transmission was a modified TH400 doing my research.These guys said if I see one I am interested in buying,said give them a call and they will tell me if it's a good buy.
Old November 1st, 2018, 12:25 PM

If I were looking for a Toro I would check out the FOR SALE listings in the Oldsmobile Club of America pub, Journey with Olds..

Here is one from the October issue:
1970 Toronado GT – Porcelain White/black
vinyl roof/black interior. PS. PB. AC. AM/FM
stereo. 455cid/400hp, W34. Balanced and
blueprinted from the factory. 65,141 miles.
$30,000. Joseph Connolly, Norfolk, MA (781)
769-3310, connollyjoseph@hotmail.com
(11/18)

And here are a bunch ==> http://toronado.org/public/pubclassifieds.html
Old November 2nd, 2018, 09:07 AM

Welcome! Sorry to hear about your loss.
I am partial to the '68 as it was my first car. Everything about the early Toronados is cool. Good luck with your search!