The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Greetings from Indianpolis

Old October 25th, 2018, 04:29 PM

Greetings from Indianpolis

Hi all - new classic Olds owner here. If the weather is nice, I'll take and post some pictures this weekend, but I found this site and know from experience what a good forum will do for you.

I live on the north side of Indianapolis and have done most of my own maintenance and repair on my own vehicles over the last 20 years or so, but have pretty much lived in the fuel injection era, and my fleet is currently four 2000's Saabs. I am finding that I need to accumulate a few standard tools now and not just metric. And I have a lot to learn about carburetors and distributors, as well as a host of other items. I've been active on a Saab forum for years so looking forward to the same on this forum as well.

Now to the car - I now have a 1966 Cutlass Holiday Edition that I picked up and drove back from Virginia last week. Though by far the oldest, it has the least miles of any of my cars - 47k, less than a mile a year. In fact, I think I put more miles in one day driving home than it had done in the last 3-5 years combined. It drove great and brought back memories of that era when I was a kid. The history of this car is that my great-grandmother bought it new (10/12/1966, I have the receipt) and after maybe 20 years of driving back and forth to the hair-dresser once a week, she couldn't drive it and gave it to my grandparents. They drove it, putting most of the 47k on it then, for about 10 years, after which it came to my dad. He's put a couple thousand miles on it since 1995 and has kept it up and done a few repairs as well as the maintenance - painted in maybe 06, bumpers rechromed in the last few years, some engine maintenance, and now it is time for it to come to me. I have three sons, so I'm sure at least a couple of them have eyes for it as well, but they will have to wait. ;-)

There are a few items I need to address:
1. coolant leak at the engine outlet. small at the moment, but making a minor mess. Probably replace all the hoses while I am at it.
2. oil leak - very slight, but i think coming from behind the crank pulley
3. AC/Vent lever is jammed and the HVAC controller doesn't stay in the dash opening so something has broken or come undone.
4. some adapter piece for the steering wheel center was lost or damaged back in the 80s. I have the center piece with the Olds logo, but it doesn't mate up
5. AC is not operating
6. front and rear speakers are shot. Radio works and I get some recognizable sound from the back, but not real great
7 Rewire horn and remove the external button added to the dash back in the 80s when the horn didn't operate and it had to pass inspection.

Most all of the car is original other than what was previously mentioned. It was garaged or car-ported for the entire 52 years, and the interior could almost pass for brand new. There's probably a few things I need to add to the maintenance list, but can't think of them at the moment.

Any input from the forum is greatly appreciated. Not sure exactly where to go for some of the things on my list. Also, any input on what to try to keep stock would be helpful too. As I said, this era of car is new to me and I know I have a lot to learn. I'm just starting here so trying to figure out where to go.
Old October 25th, 2018, 04:38 PM

welcome , I'm up by Fort Wayne, live in Decatur Indiana.
Old October 25th, 2018, 05:13 PM

Welcome.....I'm in NW Indiana.....I end up in Indy frequently.....both kids on the north side....one in Geist, another in Washington Township. Glad the trip from Virginia went well.

Old October 25th, 2018, 05:45 PM
Old School Olds

Welcome from another 66 owner.
Old October 25th, 2018, 06:46 PM

Welcome from another Hoosier in NE Indiana. We have family in Indy, visit or pass through there a couple times a year. Sounds like you have quite a gem, and with full family history! I can certainly relate to that. You've come to the right place for sure, tons of knowledge and helpful people here. Can't wait to see pictures.
Old October 25th, 2018, 07:10 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, look forward to some pictures.
Old October 25th, 2018, 08:02 PM
Olds Fever

Welcome to the group... Looking forward to seeing another Oldsmobile family history vehicle...
Old October 30th, 2018, 06:45 PM

Here's a few pictures I snapped yesterday. I saw several families at the park with photographers in tow so apparently it was a good day, still warm and sunny, to get some photos with the fall colors. How 'bout that gleam off the bumper in the first photo? Couldn't do that again if I tried... going to an Indiana plate this weekend.

Old October 30th, 2018, 06:58 PM

Very nice! I am also a Hoosier from the West side.
Old October 31st, 2018, 08:12 AM
Pat

Welcome! Very nice looking original car. What part of Virginia did it come out of? I live in Danville, VA. 24540.
Old October 31st, 2018, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by patshotrods
Welcome! Very nice looking original car. What part of Virginia did it come out of? I live in Danville, VA. 24540.
It came last from Manassas area - northern VA. It was originally purchased in Northeast Arkansas and stayed there until 1995.
Old October 31st, 2018, 03:35 PM
btw
Smokin' BBQ Member

I'm a former Trollhattan enthusist too so welcome to Oldsmobiling!
Old October 31st, 2018, 04:33 PM

Welcome aboard! Nice car...
Old November 2nd, 2018, 09:01 AM

Nice car!