The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Good day and hoping for a hint

Search this Thread

Old November 8th, 2010, 06:56 AM

Good day and hoping for a hint

I have just purchased a 1980 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Holiday 88 coupe and cannot completely remove the tail light to access the bulbs. I have removed the trunk plastic wing nuts, outside screw and the assembly is loose, but I cannot wiggle, shift, turn or otherwise get the assembly free from the car. Any hints? Thanks for any ideas!
Ed M
Old November 8th, 2010, 07:27 AM
Past Administrator

Welcome to CO. I am not completely familiar with your exact model but is it possible there is a gasket between the assembly and the body panel that has just stuck and is acting like an adhesive retaining the assembly to the body panel?
Old November 8th, 2010, 08:12 AM

Look one more time for another hidden fastener. They put a nice hidden one on my caddy's tail light. Took longer to get it apart than to change the bulb...
Take your time, don;t force anything and you will find the issue.

BTW, WELCOME!!
Old November 8th, 2010, 08:13 AM

Welcome to CO!
Old November 8th, 2010, 09:46 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by redwingtour
I have just purchased a 1980 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Holiday 88 coupe and cannot completely remove the tail light to access the bulbs. I have removed the trunk plastic wing nuts, outside screw and the assembly is loose, but I cannot wiggle, shift, turn or otherwise get the assembly free from the car. Any hints? Thanks for any ideas!
Ed M
Welcome. As noted, start by verifying that you really have all the fasteners out. If you are absolutely sure, then apply gentle prying force with a nonmetallic wedge. The gasket sealing the taillight housing to the body often gets stuck after 30 years.
Old November 9th, 2010, 06:45 AM

Wowed by the great responce and the welcome!

Thanks to all of you for the warm welcome to your club, and the helpful ideas! I am working long shifts and will try your suggestions when I get ahead on time, and it warms up some. It is minus 7 Celcius here in Calgary this morning! You folks have some great Olds! I previously had a 1978 Omega which I drove for about 17 years until it was a casualty of a hit and run while parked in front of my home.
This "new" 1980 Delta 88 drives like a dream and appears to have been garaged most of it's life. Many at work have commented on it's good condition.
Have a great day, and I will post my results of the tail light result when I get at it.
Ed M