The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Gday from Queensland

Search this Thread

Old July 16th, 2010, 02:06 AM
...should get a life....

Spider....Jamesbo's instructions are spot on. Just make sure the attachments aren't too big as there's a limit.

Allan: Vegemite (breakfast of champions) tastes like concentrated yeast extract....cos that's what it is and I can't really describe the taste. We were bought up on it. It's full of vitamin B so good for hangovers.
You can keep it in your cupboard indefinitely (ignore the use-by date) and you don't need to refrigerate it.....in fact it's better not refrigerated.
The trick is...DO NOT APPLY IT LIKE JAM. It has a strong taste.
And try it on toast first. Buttered toast with a thin scraping of vegemite. A little goes a long way. My wife hated it until I showed her how to eat it. She's from Ireland and came here when she was 10. They bought a jar of vegemite to do the Aussie thing, plastered it all over a slice of bread and wondered what hit them when they took a bite.
I can recommend toast and vege and a cup of black tea for breakfast.

See....not too much. You should still be able to see plenty of butter.
Old July 16th, 2010, 09:54 AM

I wanted try sum Col,

I'll check de sto next time I go.
Old July 16th, 2010, 11:00 AM

Col,

You would have had to be brought up on vagemite to stand the taste of that stuff. Tried it when I was downunder, will never try it again
Old July 16th, 2010, 11:08 AM

Pat,

So ya think I oughta pass on this epicurean delight?
Old July 16th, 2010, 11:10 AM

Jamsbo,

Get yourself a packet of yeast, make a paste with heavy salt water, spread on a piece of dry toast and enjoy.
Old July 16th, 2010, 11:45 AM
Cutlass Lover

You guys make me laugh!!!! Yummm Yum!!
Old July 16th, 2010, 11:57 AM

Pat,

I think I'll pass. Kinda reminds me of when I was a kid and ate one of those fizzy drink tables. De ones you were spose to drop in a glass of water to make a fizzy Kool aide kinda thing

Anywho, Sum one gave me sum Tasso ham, I think I'm gonna make sum shrimp and grits with tasso fer super. May fry me up a few green maters.
Old July 16th, 2010, 12:35 PM

That shrimp and grits is some good stuff I'm here to say, and adding the ham is a great idea. Yum, Yum
Old July 16th, 2010, 06:51 PM
...should get a life....

Jamesbo....don't let Pat put you off trying Vegemite.
Here's a video made mainly for Americans who traditionally have a problem with how to eat the stuff.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n34e5DMza3g
Old July 17th, 2010, 03:20 AM
Captain of my ship

A buddy of mine who is from downunder originally had some at work. he actually had vegimite sandwiches at work and let me try a bite. An aquired taste for sure.Pat just got back from spending 6 months working in aussieland so I imagine he got some more of the stuff back in the country.
Old July 17th, 2010, 09:41 AM

Col,

Good video, that's the way I was told to try it from friends we met downunder, still did not work for me, must be a required taste. They all laughed at the face I made while trying to eat that slice of toast.
Old July 17th, 2010, 10:54 AM

Col,

I think Pat short sold Kraft last week. He's not encouraging me. But I'm still on the fence.
Old July 17th, 2010, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Col Wickham
G'day Jamesbo. We don't discriminate between north & south....all Americans are Yanks to us. Its a term of endearment, except when we inadvertantly call a Canadian a Yank. They don't like it. Bit like calling an Aussie a Kiwi I suppose.
When Queenslanders and New South Welshmen talk football its Rugby League.
When the Southern & Western States talk football it's Australian Rules..."AFL"...or Gay FL as we call it. We don't know what to think about American football, we only ever follow Rugby Union when the Wallabies are playing England and we couldn't give a rat's patoot about soccer unless there happens to be a World cup going on.
A Carby is a devise for mixing fuel and air and crackers are what polly eats.

There ya go mate. You're up to speed.

j

...and "Blue" is a bloke with red hair, unless he's "True Blue" in which case he's a fair dinkum, salt of the earth type of bloke. A "blue" is also a punch-up. So if you got into a fight with a real decent red headed chap, you'd be getting into a blue with true blue blue.
I am just a bit further south o the black stump in maori land(kiwi land) not land o the abos ,dingoes and platypus.
And you got most of it right except the kiwis also don`t like being called aussies --actually we don`t give a toss but it adds to good sporting competition.Yanks is a name for americans but not meant in a derogatory sense --may have been back in the days of ww2 ,just as English are called limeys or poms
Oh and you wombats don`t play rugby union(you just make up the numbers) but hold your own in rugby league ,some funny high jump game called aussie rules on an oval field.Just to confuse our American bros you should throw in cricket !!!
Welcome ockers
mike
Old July 17th, 2010, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by geckonz08
I am just a bit further south o the black stump in maori land(kiwi land) not land o the abos ,dingoes and platypus.
And you got most of it right except the kiwis also don`t like being called aussies --actually we don`t give a toss but it adds to good sporting competition.Yanks is a name for americans but not meant in a derogatory sense --may have been back in the days of ww2 ,just as English are called limeys or poms
Oh and you wombats don`t play rugby union(you just make up the numbers) but hold your own in rugby league ,some funny high jump game called aussie rules on an oval field.Just to confuse our American bros you should throw in cricket !!!
Welcome ockers
mike

Gottcha,

I think?
Old July 17th, 2010, 11:27 PM

Was out west of the black stump in me EH and broke an axel. Met a couple of nice abo's who helped me out. They got an old gum tree branch and use some old thongs cut up to tie it to the original axel, lubed it up with the only thing we had which was Vegemite and drove back home 600 miles. That vegemite is good sh-- mate. LOL
Old July 17th, 2010, 11:32 PM

All you fellas over der in yanky country don't be fooled by them blokes from the island with the long white cloud. They been livin with them sheeeeeep for tooooo long, Dey think that them all blacks can play rugby. dey only good caus they been chasing dem sheeeep all over the paddock. Bahhhhhhh. LOL
Old July 18th, 2010, 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by ralsy
All you fellas over der in yanky country don't be fooled by them blokes from the island with the long white cloud. They been livin with them sheeeeeep for tooooo long, Dey think that them all blacks can play rugby. dey only good caus they been chasing dem sheeeep all over the paddock. Bahhhhhhh. LOL
I think you are onto it Ralsy.

Nothing wrong with vegemite or marmite either .Spoon of either( v or m) in one hand and avocado in the other --equal proportions --she`s a beauty mate.Moosh looks like a coal miner but straight into the billabong
Old July 18th, 2010, 02:37 AM
Ozspider

Hi all,
I'm laughing, but I'm not so sure our friends on the other side of the world will understand.
Spider
Old July 18th, 2010, 02:54 AM
...should get a life....

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Gottcha,

I think?
Don't worry Jamesbo, we don't understand Kiwis either....which is a worry because there are more of them in Oz than there are in New Zealand
I was in Auckland a few years ago when my kids were little and I tried to buy them a few touristy bits'n'pieces like a toy kiwi. a tiki and whatever else New Zealand has to offer and the bloody tourist shops were all full of koala bears, boomerangs and stuffed kangaroos. Everything on TV was Australian and besides Jap imports just about every car was Aussie as well.
And they don't like being mistakenly called Aussies?
They should stop trying to be Aussies then!

Mind you, the Gecko is right about the All Blacks and Aussie Rules football.
AFL is rubbish and the Kiwis sure can play rugby. In fact New Zealand is a great sporting nation for it's size, they have a better national anthem than us and great seafood. We're heading over on our next holiday to check out the South Island after we learn the language.
Old July 18th, 2010, 04:17 AM

.Hey Col just pinch your nostrils together pull your pants up to your navel and you'll be right mate.Lol. No really, the kiwi's are bonza fellas and shielas.
Old July 18th, 2010, 04:54 AM

As a Mod, I'd like to change the name of this thread to
"Greetings from Mars"

Speaking of sheep.

I was told that during the Falklin war, the British soldiers got P.O'd cause they could bring home any sheep as "War Brides"
Old July 18th, 2010, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
As a Mod, I'd like to change the name of this thread to
"Greetings from Mars"

Speaking of sheep.

I was told that during the Falklin war, the British soldiers got P.O'd cause they could bring home any sheep as "War Brides"
you have to clean em up first
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Old July 18th, 2010, 03:31 PM
...should get a life....

Originally Posted by ralsy
.Hey Col just pinch your nostrils together pull your pants up to your navel and you'll be right mate.Lol. No really, the kiwi's are bonza fellas and shielas.
Mate...let me tell ya that I have heaps of Kiwi mates at work and down the pub and I've played rugby with a stack of them and there's not a decent one among 'em (That's what I like about 'em)
Never far from a beer and a good time...and the buggers can sing! Gerard is a Maori mate of mine. Dreadlocks, tats all over him and no front teeth. Looks as rough as guts but gee he can sing. We've played a bit of guitar/harp together and he can really belt out a tune. I found the pub bands in Auckland to be excellent. Really good musos and it was all free.
Great allies mate...ANZAC
Old July 19th, 2010, 03:06 AM

I'm in Melbourne,

Not that many Olds down here either, I tried to join the Olds club down here and they didn't seem interested in new members, guess I was under 40 or 50 or even 60 for some of them I have seen.

the local All American day at Flemington race course ( melbourne cup) has generally over 1500 cars and there were a handful of olds there, mostly the early stuff as the AOMC runs the day. I know a guy up the country who has a couple of olds, but none are on the road, also know a guy building a 48 olds ute, he's been at it for about 15 years. My olds in my daily driver, so I'm a bit different from you lot as its not my weekend car, not saying I don't like driving it, wouldn't have bought it otherwise! but its not what gets my crank turning, well not as much as my roadster does.

None the less the olds is a cool car, and I like it, and its different, sometimes a bit too different, at least when it comes to finding parts locally! which can be the down side of it being a daily driver. if you look up the club section in 'just cars/parts' it lists the olds club chapters around the country
Old July 19th, 2010, 04:41 AM

Yeh know what you mean about the the olds club, seems like they are all into OLD olds, like stone age stuff lol. Not really my thing, but still cool cars. Tried emailing them a few times about different things and never got a reply. Just found a few aussie part suppliers for OLDS
http://www.automotivetech.com.au/
http://www.chevparts.com.au/olds/index.htm

Last edited by ralsy; July 19th, 2010 at 04:51 AM.
Old July 20th, 2010, 02:52 AM
...should get a life....

Same experience here so I joined the American Muscle Car Club of Australia. Great Club.
You might see my old car down there. Its a yellow '67 Cutlass Supreme Convertible. Sold it to a guy called Brendan Pitcher. Darren from C.O. has a tatoo shop down there somewhere. He has a big burgundy coloured convertible.
This is my old Olds..
Oldsathome3010.jpg?t=1279619413

Chevparts is really good. About an hour from home. I was down there last week getting some wheel bearings. Very knowledgable, good service and not too pricey.