The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

G'day from Down Under ;)

Search this Thread

Old March 2nd, 2013, 01:00 AM

G'day from Down Under ;)

G'day all, new to the forums, and in fact, new to Olds ownership. My brother is something of a classic car nut, and imports a few here and there when and where he can. He has a 68 Galaxy, a 71 Gran Torino, 73 Mustang.. well, you get the idea.
He imported a 1966 Dynamic 88 convertible, but when he showed it to his repairer, the guy just threw up his hands and walked away.. didn't want to touch it. So he's handballed it to me to see what I can make of it.
It does have rust, mostly in the rear, trunk (or boot as we Aussies would call it) is perforated and half gone, quarter panels have been eaten through (although someone did make an "attempt" at repairing them.. by pop riveting new sheet tin over the top.. ), and driver side chassis has two rust holes the size of a silver dollar in it. All of which is repairable, but seeing as there was only about 5500 of the 66's convertibles made, there's a fair to good chance that this is the only one in Australia, therefore making parts hunting a nightmare at best.
Anyway, good to be onboard, will pick some brains when I can.
Haven't got any pics shrunk small enough to fit on here, but all images that I have so far can be found at the following link.

http://imgur.com/a/6HHAa

Cheers guys.
Old March 2nd, 2013, 03:30 AM

Hi and Welcome; looks like a typical, winter driven, Ontario car. With optional test rust...I like those Buick wheels but then they are Buick. If you are ever in need of a 'safety sentinel speedo' for that car, let me know...