General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Olds Down Under

Search this Thread

Old November 1st, 2009, 01:23 AM
...should get a life....

Thumbs up Olds Down Under

Guys,....and Cutlassgal....I said I'd post a few pics when I got her home and tidied up. Apologies for the light'n'shade but it was hot here today and the only shade was under a few pine trees in my driveway.
Took her for a run down the coast......used just under a tank of gas. Some really steep climbs, some traffic jams in hot temps, freeway cruising, backstreets....the lot (no snow). Goes like a new car. Did not miss a beat, pulled up hills without even putting the foot down and turned heads all the way. A few honked horns and thumbs up and even a couple of conversations at traffic lights. One thing about driving a LHD car in RHD world is that you can chat driver to driver at the lights 'cos you're only a couple of feet apart.
The biggest test was my wife Janet. She hated the Road Runner but she loves the Olds. Her biggest worry was that her hat didn't match the car so she's gonna buy a new one. Mission accomplished folks!
I've called the car Dorothy after the previous owner, and Australia is known as Oz so it fits together nicely.
Anyway, here's a few shots of Dorothy before her first cruise down under.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Olds at home3 010.jpg (81.2 KB, 49 views)
Olds at home3 006.jpg (80.4 KB, 32 views)
Olds at home3 009.jpg (82.3 KB, 46 views)
Olds at home3 001.jpg (80.8 KB, 24 views)
Olds at home3 008.jpg (81.4 KB, 30 views)
Old November 1st, 2009, 02:34 AM
Registered

Sound like a fun and satisfying conclusion to a long and perilous mission.

A tank of gas is is a pretty long run so I guess she runs fine and is dependable, no surprises except good ones.

My mother in laws name is Dorothy.

Land of Oz?

If I lived there or in Kansas I would name my car "Flying Monkey", they were the coolest.
I sure wouldn't want to be standing below a bunch of them flying around though.
Old November 1st, 2009, 04:46 AM

Beautiful!
Old November 1st, 2009, 06:25 AM
Captain of my ship

Well Col sorry that at first the car was not as good as you had hoped but in the same breath you would have to say that there are a few things about the car that are a pleasant suprise. All things considered I think that you should be somewhat happy with the car and if it continues to run well I think that she will grow on you. There is not too much that is needed on the car to turn it into a really nice Olds plus I think you may find that once you start doing the things that you want done it will become even more difficult to sell. In the meantime enjoy your new car this summer ( summer is coming soon down there eh!) here there are presious few days left to get out and drive mine.
Old November 1st, 2009, 06:46 AM

She's a real beauty. I would like to take the same drive you took. Australia is a great place. Good luck with your Olds, it sounds like she's a great performer.
Old November 1st, 2009, 10:04 AM
is Fast Enough ...

Originally Posted by Col Wickham
Guys,....and Cutlassgal....I said I'd post a few pics when I got her home and tidied up. Apologies for the light'n'shade but it was hot here today and the only shade was under a few pine trees in my driveway.
Took her for a run down the coast......used just under a tank of gas. Some really steep climbs, some traffic jams in hot temps, freeway cruising, backstreets....the lot (no snow). Goes like a new car. Did not miss a beat, pulled up hills without even putting the foot down and turned heads all the way. A few honked horns and thumbs up and even a couple of conversations at traffic lights. One thing about driving a LHD car in RHD world is that you can chat driver to driver at the lights 'cos you're only a couple of feet apart.
The biggest test was my wife Janet. She hated the Road Runner but she loves the Olds. Her biggest worry was that her hat didn't match the car so she's gonna buy a new one. Mission accomplished folks!
I've called the car Dorothy after the previous owner, and Australia is known as Oz so it fits together nicely.
Anyway, here's a few shots of Dorothy before her first cruise down under.

Will she get matching nail polish ..?
Old November 1st, 2009, 06:25 PM
Cutlass Lover

Very beautiful!!! Thanks for sharing her with us! Enjoy your hot weather.... It's cold here, though we did have some sunshine today!!! And yes, your wife should get matching nail polish!
Old November 2nd, 2009, 09:59 PM

Col, having a good Spring I suspect. Was in Oz on 04 and had a great time. Was there on business (Surfers Paradise, QLD) and loved the people. Especially the female people .

I was told that once a car with LHD arrives in Oz, you have to convert it to RHD before you can register it. You seemed to get around that. Seems we're seeing alot of RHD cars in Canada lately. Mostly the Skylines but have seen a Ute at a car show this year. Enjoy your car, she's a beaut mate!
Old November 3rd, 2009, 07:38 AM

Looks great, congrats. My wife and I spent 3 weeks down under a few years ago even went to a car show. had a great time, we'll be back sometime in the future
Old November 3rd, 2009, 08:50 AM
Loose Radical

That car is meant to be driven(and with the top down)! I hope you burn a tank a month!
Old November 3rd, 2009, 09:11 AM
Telecom Guru

Absolutely beautiful car! I love that color on '64-'67 models. Something about it just suits them perfectly.
Old November 3rd, 2009, 02:24 PM
...should get a life....

Originally Posted by 442much
Col, having a good Spring I suspect. Was in Oz on 04 and had a great time. Was there on business (Surfers Paradise, QLD) and loved the people. Especially the female people .

I was told that once a car with LHD arrives in Oz, you have to convert it to RHD before you can register it. You seemed to get around that. Seems we're seeing alot of RHD cars in Canada lately. Mostly the Skylines but have seen a Ute at a car show this year. Enjoy your car, she's a beaut mate!
Last time I stayed in Surfers Paradise was before my Olds was built and the tallest building was like 2 storeys high. Nowadays the sun doesn't even hit some streets.
We don't have to convert to RHD as long as the car is over 30 years old. Under 30 and it can't be driven down here unless it is converted. In New South Wales where I live, we don't even have to get the car checked by an engineer if it was manufactured before August 1972. That's when our Design Rules came into play. So I can cruise around sitting on the wrong side of the car with a smug look on my face all day and it's cool. There are a lot of LHD classics down here. The big challenge is parts.
So how can newer cars like Skylines etc be driven RHD in Canada?

Last edited by Col Wickham; November 3rd, 2009 at 02:39 PM.
Old November 3rd, 2009, 02:28 PM
...should get a life....

Originally Posted by citcapp
Looks great, congrats. My wife and I spent 3 weeks down under a few years ago even went to a car show. had a great time, we'll be back sometime in the future
You make sure when "sometime in the future" comes around that you get in touch if your headed to Sydney. Be good to catch up.
Old November 3rd, 2009, 07:55 PM

Last time I stayed in Surfers Paradise was before my Olds was built and the tallest building was like 2 storeys high. Nowadays the sun doesn't even hit some streets.
We don't have to convert to RHD as long as the car is over 30 years old. Under 30 and it can't be driven down here unless it is converted. In New South Wales where I live, we don't even have to get the car checked by an engineer if it was manufactured before August 1972. That's when our Design Rules came into play. So I can cruise around sitting on the wrong side of the car with a smug look on my face all day and it's cool. There are a lot of LHD classics down here. The big challenge is parts.
So how can newer cars like Skylines etc be driven RHD in Canada?
In this province there is no legislation against it. The cars are imported directly into Canada and as long as it meets the emmissions of the province, and the safety requirements of the feds, it's legal. No mention of RHD. In all honesty, there are not many accidents if any, attributed to RHD cars. I heard that BC (British Cloumbia) the province west of us, is going to put some legislation in place. Not sure if that's true. The only accident I've ever heard of here, was with a British diplomat driving a Canadian built car on the left side of the road in rural Quebec. He came over a hill a slammed into a family coming home from a long weekend. Not drunk, just old habits.

Always wanted to drive a RHD car just to see what it would be like. Got a chance in 2004 when I was in Oz. It was a Toyota Avalon. Everytime I changed lanes I put the windshield wipers on more times than not.

Last edited by 442much; November 3rd, 2009 at 07:57 PM.
Old November 3rd, 2009, 10:18 PM

You make sure when "sometime in the future" comes around that you get in touch if your headed to Sydney. Be good to catch up.
I'll do that we liked Sydney a lot.
Old November 4th, 2009, 03:45 AM
Captain of my ship

Originally Posted by 442much
In this province there is no legislation against it. The cars are imported directly into Canada and as long as it meets the emmissions of the province, and the safety requirements of the feds, it's legal. No mention of RHD. In all honesty, there are not many accidents if any, attributed to RHD cars. I heard that BC (British Cloumbia) the province west of us, is going to put some legislation in place. Not sure if that's true. The only accident I've ever heard of here, was with a British diplomat driving a Canadian built car on the left side of the road in rural Quebec. He came over a hill a slammed into a family coming home from a long weekend. Not drunk, just old habits.

Always wanted to drive a RHD car just to see what it would be like. Got a chance in 2004 when I was in Oz. It was a Toyota Avalon. Everytime I changed lanes I put the windshield wipers on more times than not.
Same here in N.S. as far as rules for RHD cars , none. There is a retired air force guy here that has a thing for old Landrovers with RHD and now has 3 of them. A couple of them look like old British army vehicles.
Old November 4th, 2009, 04:10 AM
Registered

I would get a bench seat and move the steering wheel to the middle and then you could drive any car anywhere no matter what. Be a little tough at drive thrus and toll booths but you could date twins and they could both sit next to you while your driving.
I like to dream.
Old November 4th, 2009, 04:30 AM
Captain of my ship

Well you could just buy yourself a mclaren f1 cause the steering wheel is in the middle and it holds 3 in the front. plus you have the added feature of 240 mph
Old November 4th, 2009, 05:02 AM
Trying to remember member

Col, she looks great! I know you had your problems, but fortunately they turned out to be quite on the minor side, and you still ended up with a great car!
Enjoy!!
Old November 4th, 2009, 07:03 AM
Cutlass Lover

Originally Posted by Bluevista
I would get a bench seat and move the steering wheel to the middle and then you could drive any car anywhere no matter what. Be a little tough at drive thrus and toll booths but you could date twins and they could both sit next to you while your driving.
I like to dream.

You just ain't right!!! (but you do have some good ideas!)
Old November 4th, 2009, 12:25 PM
Captain of my ship

He's probably thinking the Barbie twins , that way he'll have side airbags
Old November 4th, 2009, 12:57 PM
Cutlass Lover

God only knows what he's thinking.... LALALALALALALALA