The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Gas Guage for a 70 442

Search this Thread

Old April 30th, 2011, 04:05 PM

Gas Guage for a 70 442

Hi All,

I am helping a friend, he is in need of the dash gas gauge for a 1970 442, any suggestions where I can find one??

Thanks,
Bill
Old April 30th, 2011, 04:21 PM

Bill, does he have the rally pack with oil pressure and water temp or just lights for those? If he has lights then the more common pod will work and there should be several people on this site with extras. If he has actual gauges then its the Rally Pack which included a pod with a tac/clock in it. Those are hard to find used and expensive. It might be worth checking to see if he could have his repaired. If not, then look at repop to see if he could get just that pod. The set of gauges and tac are several hundred dollars used and people seldom have just the gauges but want to sell it as a set. Let me know if this is all clear as mud John

P.S. Welcome to the site! Tell your friend we'd like him to join too!!!
Old April 30th, 2011, 04:41 PM

The gas guage is part of small cluster with Temp and Oil. So not sure why you specifically ask for gas, but anyway try here:

http://www.tamrazsparts.com/product_...oducts_id=2265
Old April 30th, 2011, 05:42 PM

Rally Pack

Thanks guys for the fast response. It is the Rally Pack , I just assumed all Cutlass/442's were the same dash pods. The Fuel Gauge is the one that has failed. Maybe someone does repairs??
Old April 30th, 2011, 06:38 PM

Are u sure it is not the sending unit?
Old May 1st, 2011, 05:09 AM
Past Administrator

My thought exactly. They way those gauges work is fairly simple and most things that could go wrong can be repaired by someone without special tools. The only difficult part would be the meter movement itself which usually doesn't fail. I think there was a pretty good thread on our site about refurbishing the gauges on a Cutlass, I want to say Rob did it (Lady72nRob71) you might check out that thread as it is really good. Welcome to CO.

edit:
I looked for that thread but couldn't find it, however I did find some good images from this thread where Rob was talking about illumination. Look in particular at the circuit board in the small photos of post #1, and the photos of the connectors in post #12. Those are two locations to look for poor connections which could be causing the gauge to not operate. I probably should have just inserted the photos myself but now that I have done it.............oh well.
Old May 1st, 2011, 05:57 AM

Welcome to Olds heaven!!
Old May 1st, 2011, 06:40 AM

Bill, I agree with the other guys that its much more common to have a ground strap or sending unit wire corrode and fail than the dash gauge. Try to make sure it's the gauge before going to the time/trouble to work over the gauge pod. John
Old May 1st, 2011, 08:00 AM

Here is a good troubleshooting chart...
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...tml#post277061
Old May 1st, 2011, 09:14 AM

Sending Unit

Fellas, you have no idea how much I appreciate the comments. The owner ( a Lady) had her mechanic check the sending unit out, He told her the sending unit was fine, he is very good but I will check it out myself.

The Referred Link was great info. especially how to remove the Cluster. I do agree with your comments about the meter movement failure possibility being quite unusual. I am going to ask her to bring the car over here and let me take a looksee. The car has just over 22k on it and in awesome condition, I rather suspect a poor connection between the gauge and the sending unit.

I repaired her 8 Track last winter with some help from here. This Forum is great.
Thanks again for all the comments and the Rally pack restoration installation link

Bill