The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Found an Olds F85 on my property

Search this Thread

Old January 18th, 2021, 06:05 AM
RMC

Found an Olds F85 on my property

Hello everyone! I'm posting because I recently purchased a piece of property in the area between Gainesville and Dawsonville Georgia. When I purchased the property it was late summer and for lack of better terms quite overgrown. I didn't get to investigate all 16 acres. After being in a few months we began to clear the property. Well....I found what looks like a complete 63-65 blue 2 door F-85 (please help identify). I'm definitely no F-85 expert, but I am a car guy. I'd rather try to find it a home for some one that would appreciate it to either restore or use for parts to restore another, rather than scrap it. I can send as many pictures at you like and I'll attach one here. It does have some damage, but I've restored worse on other vehicles.

Here's the way I found it.
Old January 18th, 2021, 07:01 AM
Always room for one more

Welcome to the fold. That's a 65. It actually doesn't look that bad. Floors are probably gone from sitting in the mud. The absence of the V8 badge on the fender suggests this is a V6 car.

Old January 18th, 2021, 07:10 AM
RMC

Thank you for the info and I can confirm it is a V6. I don't know how log its been in the current spot.....it is next to an old pole barn. Side offer......if any one needs 75 tires and wheels......I have those too.....pulled out of the woods! It's been a discovery mission as I also found old Harley parts from what looks like a blown up Sportster.
Old January 18th, 2021, 07:28 AM
Olds Fever

Welcome to the group... Great find... I'm sure there must be some salvageable parts, drive train, trim, etc...
Old January 18th, 2021, 07:42 AM
RMC

Originally Posted by CRUZN 66
Welcome to the group... Great find... I'm sure there must be some salvageable parts, drive train, trim, etc...
Yes!....and I'm hoping someone will want them or it......if not.....it's going be scrap metal...and that would be a shame.
Old January 18th, 2021, 08:20 AM

65 "post cars" and some of the related parts would be very usable for someone putting together an early Olds A-body 64-65. I know guys-some of the parts between 64-65 are not interchangeable...
Old January 18th, 2021, 08:31 AM

Welcome to the site! Please don't scrap it! I see a lot of nice parts there, some hard to find. If you have the time you could likely dismantle and sell parts from it. If you don't have the time hopefully another car guy will buy it from you to part out. I'm guessing you don't have a title for it. In my state its become very hard to get a title on an old car, how is it in your state? If its not too much trouble you might evaluate the car to see how much rot is in it. If its solid enough to save then you might try selling it as a project first.
Old January 18th, 2021, 05:18 PM

Thats so cool! I could definitely see that being pulled out and fixed up.
I might even be interested.
Any more pictures would definitely help.
Please feel free to PM me if you want it gone.
Thanks!
-peter
Old January 18th, 2021, 08:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RMC
Yes!....and I'm hoping someone will want them or it......if not.....it's going be scrap metal...and that would be a shame.
Huge props for you trying to save/give this abandoned car some new life. Even if it is rotted from below there is a crap load of usable parts available there. If I were close I would already have it here.

SOMEBODY GET THIS CAR !!

PS: Love that dark blue
Old January 18th, 2021, 08:09 PM
Phantom Phixer

Try sending a PM to Olds442redberet .
He's in Birmingham AL , and is always parting out Olds .
He may be interested in picking it up .
Old January 19th, 2021, 12:46 PM
RMC

Originally Posted by Charlie Jones
Try sending a PM to Olds442redberet .
He's in Birmingham AL , and is always parting out Olds .
He may be interested in picking it up .
Thanks for the info........Red Beret.......Hmmmm.....I wore a Maroon beret in the 82nd Airborne..
Old January 19th, 2021, 01:14 PM
Always room for one more

It's not a running, driving car so I don't think Oldsberet would be interested...

Old January 20th, 2021, 09:10 AM
RMC

I've had several requests for more photos...so here goes: (Note - trunk pan felt solid - I couldn't get the door open this morning, but have had open before)

Old January 22nd, 2021, 01:49 AM

Maybe post this in the olds cars for sale, and see if you get a set of eyes that can use/ do something with this.
Old January 22nd, 2021, 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by slantflat
...Floors are probably gone from sitting in the mud...
Probably not. It looks dry under there, from here. We also can't see if it's held up on blocks or how long it's been there altogether.
The radiator core looks like it hasn't seen that much action. If it isn't a replacement or rebuild, this would hint on some genuine low milage.
Ordering power steering, automatic transmission bucket seats and air conditioning on a base F-85 with standard engine does seem kind of odd. This combination alone makes the vehicle even more unique, thus valuable, since there couldn't have been that many produced like this one was

Last edited by Killian_Mörder; January 22nd, 2021 at 02:21 AM.
Old January 22nd, 2021, 04:37 PM
Banned

I agree. Top of the line for an F-85. Buckets and AC? Cool colors too. That car was a beauty new. I really hope someone gets it. Huge props for the original poster trying to get this car some Oldsmobile love. Like I said. If this car was near me it would already be here.
Old January 22nd, 2021, 07:00 PM

also has the vinyl/painted top chrome trim,and back up lights.and a trunk light.man why can't you be a thousand miles closer.
Old January 22nd, 2021, 07:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by cherokeepeople
also has the vinyl/painted top chrome trim,and back up lights.and a trunk light.man why can't you be a thousand miles closer.
Amen Cherokee. This is one of the most loaded F-85's ever. Man I hope this gets a home. Beat up rusted no back window and all. Hell I couldn't even tell you an F-85 that I have seen with bucket seats. Let alone all the rest. Especially a 65. Like it was an F-85 that was ordered. Super cool Oldsmobile history.
Old January 22nd, 2021, 09:40 PM

Try to get the VIN. This looks like one of those F85 Sports Coupes, which was kinda a sporty V-6 model with buckets and chrome trim that you can see on both sides (not found on other F85s). By no means a high-dollar car, but a curiosity that kinda makes for a nice driver without paying for 4-4-2 prices.
Old January 23rd, 2021, 02:42 PM

pic of the cowl tag would be nice to see where it came from and what colors etc.
Old January 23rd, 2021, 02:46 PM

swear i see the magnet from a rear seat speaker too.
Old January 31st, 2021, 12:00 PM
RMC

As soon as I can get it to stop raining here....I'll post VIN plate pic. Unrelated.....I pulled 76 wheels and tires out of the woods.......various styles.
Old January 31st, 2021, 12:44 PM
Old(s) Fart

This car is apparently a V6 Sport Coupe. The 1964-65 F85 V6 Sport Coupe was actually a Cutlass with the V6 instead of the Cutlass V8. Same Cutlass bucket seats, side trim, etc, but with a V6.

Old January 31st, 2021, 12:58 PM

65 cutlass

good for you on trying to save this car. if you decide to part it out, I would take all the dash *****, the rear dress panel(between the taillights). how bad are the bumpers? asking for a friend(me)
Old January 31st, 2021, 01:34 PM
RMC

Here's the VIN plate:

Old January 31st, 2021, 01:37 PM
RMC

If that's not the VIN plate....let me know....
Old January 31st, 2021, 01:44 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by RMC
If that's not the VIN plate....let me know....
That's not the VIN, that's the cowl tag.
Old January 31st, 2021, 01:45 PM

Thank you for trying to save this car! That isn't the VIN plate. It should be inside of the driver door on the post that continues down from the windshield pillar between the hinges.
Old January 31st, 2021, 01:46 PM
RMC

Well....that'll be a problem......can't get the driver's side door open.
Old January 31st, 2021, 01:55 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by RMC
Here's the VIN plate:

04D = built fourth week (D) of April (04) 1965
ST65 = 1965 model year
33827 = Oldsmobile (3) Cutlass (38) Sport Coupe (27) - Note that the V6 Sport Coupe came with Cutlass cowl tags. The VIN will show 33527xxx as a V6 Sport Coupe.
LAN = Lansing assembly plant
1568 = Fisher Body sequence number
TR943B = blue bucket seat interior
E-C = Royal Mist (E) lower body color with Provincial White (C) roof

Accessory Codes
Group 1
E = Tinted Glass
O = Trim piercing for two-tone paint

Group 2
K = Firewall piercing for A/C
P = Parking brake signal lamp

Group 5
C = ???

Cool and unique car, but sadly that rust on the firewall doesn't bode well.
Old January 31st, 2021, 02:53 PM
RMC

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
ST65 = 1965 model year
33827 = Oldsmobile (3) Cutlass (38) Sport Coupe (27) - Note that the V6 Sport Coupe came with Cutlass cowl tags. The VIN will show 33527xxx as a V6 Sport Coupe.
LAN = Lansing assembly plant
1568 = Fisher Body sequence number
TR943B = blue bucket seat interior
E-C = Royal Mist (E) lower body color with Provincial White (C) roof

Accessory Codes
Group 1
E = Tinted Glass
O = Trim piercing for two-tone paint

Group 2
K = Firewall piercing for A/C
P = Parking brake signal lamp

Group 5
C = ???

Cool and unique car, but sadly that rust on the firewall doesn't bode well.
So......you're saying it needs to go to scrap recycler?
Old January 31st, 2021, 03:03 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by RMC
So......you're saying it needs to go to scrap recycler?
All I'm saying is that once all the rotting leaves and pine needles get cleared away, don't be surprised by gaping rust holes. Let's be serious - there isn't much of a market for a V6 Sport Coupe. A really nice 1965 442 can be bought for $15K or so, and this car in the same shape will only be worth part of that. V6 Sport Coupes are rare, but they are not that desirable, so this car will be underwater in any restoration. Full disclosure: that's never stopped me from throwing good money after bad, but do it with your eyes open. The missing back window, dented roof, and crumpled left quarter will be expensive to replace and the rain that's been running into that back window hole isn't helping the floor pan. All that pot metal trim will be extremely expensive to restore, and the tail panel is bent anyway. The V6 is rusted solid, and the Jetaway trans isn't really worth anything either. Make an informed decision.
Old January 31st, 2021, 03:17 PM
RMC

All I'm saying is that once all the rotting leaves and pine needles get cleared away, don't be surprised by gaping rust holes. Let's be serious - there isn't much of a market for a V6 Sport Coupe. A really nice 1965 442 can be bought for $15K or so, and this car in the same shape will only be worth part of that. V6 Sport Coupes are rare, but they are not that desirable, so this car will be underwater in any restoration. Full disclosure: that's never stopped me from throwing good money after bad, but do it with your eyes open. The missing back window, dented roof, and crumpled left quarter will be expensive to replace and the rain that's been running into that back window hole isn't helping the floor pan. All that pot metal trim will be extremely expensive to restore, and the tail panel is bent anyway. The V6 is rusted solid, and the Jetaway trans isn't really worth anything either. Make an informed decision.
Maybe you missed my first post.......I'm trying to give it away.....to someone that wants original parts for their build. I don't have time to part out, so it's going out of my property whole....one way or another.
Old January 31st, 2021, 03:23 PM

I see the following usable:

Front bumper
grille
headlight surrounds
maybe some side trim and badges
some glass
maybe rear decklid
bucket seat frame cores
instrument panel for parts
maybe glove compartment lid
radiator
vacuum can
maybe wiper motor
maybe alternator and compressor for cores

Old January 31st, 2021, 06:25 PM

ST65 = 1965 model yearll.
Joe, I think you need to clean your glasses . The pic shows fourth week of September (09) 1964. Check out the LOW sequence number in the OP's photo..

Old January 31st, 2021, 06:29 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by BackInTheGame
Joe, I think you need to clean your glasses . The pic shows fourth week of September (09) 1964. Check out the LOW sequence number in the OP's photo..
Ya know, as I was writing that, I initially thought it was 09D, then I got distracted and the second time I looked, I swore it was 04D. Thanks for the correction. Don't know what the heck I was looking at. And I was going to comment on the low sequence number also. DOH!
Old February 1st, 2021, 05:48 AM
RMC

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Good on you for joining this site to see if anyone is interested in the vehicle. You've received some very good commentary allowing you to make an informed decision on what to do next. I see no wheel on the RH front of the vehicle, the vehicle is literally buried in soil & contained w/in a serious network of trees. I'm not trying to tell you what you don't already know. What I am trying to suggest is if you aren't going to part out the car, you're going to need to find someone to remove the car from your property if that is your intention...

...it's most likely going to cost you a ~$300-$400 to remove it. It isn't just sitting there waiting to be hauled away - it needs a wheel & tire, it doesn't run & it's buried, you'll need a winch to drag it out & onto a trailer, and someone needs to remove the trees before they're going anywhere. It isn't a simple deal, but still good on you for attempting to find someone to give it to.
I understand all that and yes....I have the wheel and hub....still rooting around to find the castle nut! I've worked on cars all my life and know the value of have a parts car when trying to restore one. I'm 59 1/2 now and started helping restore cars when I was 12. My brother restored vintage Jaguars and then I went through several: 1967 Chevelle Malibu, 69 Cougar, 73 Camaro Z28, 67 Kaiser Jeep CJ 5, 78 Jeep CJ-5, and most recently a complete resto on a 1973 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ-40. I know if I can free it.......someone will come!

I've had a lot of work done on my new property with a Bobcat with forestry mulcher. The owner of that Bobcat has 3 of them and a MIni-Ex.........so we'll get her out....if it'll stop raining. The reason I don't want to part it out is I keep finding work here and don't have the time. I still have to tear down and old pole barn and barn. The good thing, in the tearing of those two buildings down, I may add a driveway and give me enough access to get in and make the F-85 extraction easier.

It's almost a joke on the wheel and tire........I did find the original.......and 76 other ones!
Old February 1st, 2021, 06:24 AM
RMC

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Sounds typical of old abandoned farm land. Wouldn't you like to know who and why that car was abandoned. I've relatives with large dairy cattle farms up North who had the typical hundreds of cars, tractors, combines, spreaders, and the like laying about their fields. Some things I can actually understand. I don't suppose the local Farmall, JD, M-F, Ford, etc. equipment dealer was interested in your now completely non-functioning combine. Good Luck!
I'm guessing it was driven to the spot it's in so a bad wheel bearing could be replaced. This property has come with many stories and we hear more everyday. The husband passed away in 2016 at 89 years old and the wife passed 2 days after she signed our offer. My guess is that the car was one of those things he was going to get around to and never did. I've spoken to the youngest son and he said the F-85 was his oldest sister's first car.
Old February 1st, 2021, 07:02 AM

I appreciate the effort you're going through to save the car, especially with no gain for yourself. If I was closer I would be there in a heartbeat ! Somebody needs this Cutlass and is really going to benefit from your effort.
Old February 5th, 2021, 07:49 PM

I,d love to have your car when things dry out. I’m restoring a 65-442 and I see parts in your pictures that would be useful.

Quick Reply: Found an Olds F85 on my property