The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Forum Newbie Post '77 Cutlass Salon/'77 Regal

Search this Thread

Old February 13th, 2020, 01:45 PM
Nucking Futz

Forum Newbie Post '77 Cutlass Salon/'77 Regal

Obligatory forum newbie post. Name is Crash, yes I know the luck or lack thereof with said nickname. I own a '77 Cutlass Salon and a '77 Buick Regal. I'll post pictures of the Regal because its my main project car later, but I don't have any pictures of the Cutlass currently. It's more of a donor car for the Regal, honestly. I'm joining the forum so I can share my build, find help trouble shooting, etc etc. This is my first "real" build. Been working on cars for years but mostly just maintenance stuff and bolt-on mods. Even though my main project car is a Regal, its getting the Olds 455 out of the Cutlass and seeing as Regals are few and far between for these years, I figure SOME information may cross over. Though I MAY try and save the Cutlass as its body paneling is in fairly poor condition. I'm a young buck compared to some of you on this forum. Hopefully, you'll be forgiving of my generational differences and help bring me further into my passion for these cars.

-Cheers
Old February 13th, 2020, 02:04 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, sounds like an interesting project for you that will give you a lot of experience that you can use for later projects.
Old February 13th, 2020, 02:22 PM
Old(s) Fart

Welcome. You do know that the 455 didn't exist in 1977, right? If that's really a 455, it's not original to that Cutlass.
Old February 13th, 2020, 03:09 PM
Olds Fever

Welcome to the group... As Joe stated, you may want to get some more info on the current engine since it would not be original to the 77... Post up some engine ID info such as the "Letter" or "Number" located on the corner of the head, and/or the block number located near the oil fill tube... Good luck with your project...
Old February 13th, 2020, 03:11 PM
Nucking Futz

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Welcome. You do know that the 455 didn't exist in 1977, right? If that's really a 455, it's not original to that Cutlass.
Yessir, I am aware they did not come with a 455 in '77. I am also aware that it's not original to that Cutlass. The previous owner, my uncle, did the swap about 2.5 decades ago. He has since passed away and left the vehicle to me. He was aware of my intentions and was behind them seeing as the Regal was his sister's car which I bought from her as my first car when I was 15 or 16 for appraised value. And has since had 40+ years of age catch up to it and its Buick 350. The original 403 that came in the Cutlass is still around on his property (I have to find it) hence why I might restore it as well. But the body panels amd cabin itself are rusted through so bad there is no saving it, so I'll restore it if I can find decent shape body panels/cabin.
Old February 13th, 2020, 03:13 PM
Nucking Futz

Originally Posted by CRUZN 66
Welcome to the group... As Joe stated, you may want to get some more info on the current engine since it would not be original to the 77... Post up some engine ID info such as the "Letter" or "Number" located on the corner of the head, and/or the block number located near the oil fill tube... Good luck with your project...
I will definitely post up that info next time I run by the storage unit to work on it a bit more. Its been raining and chilly here for a while so I haven't been by.