The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Floor pans

Search this Thread

Old August 19th, 2014, 08:06 PM

Floor pans

Hey everyone, well I finally did it, I bought a major project off ebay...a 1970 Cutlass Supreme convert.....same car I had in HS some 30+ yrs ago Well anyway my ? is, are the floor panel sections sold by classic 2 current ( the cheap ones made in Taiwan) made to oem specs? Has anyone used these? I'm planning on purchasing there full length panels, but only using what I need? If not, any suggestions on where else I can buy them?
FYI I'm planning on building a nice neck wrenching driver, not a show car
Thanks
Eric
Old August 19th, 2014, 08:16 PM

Welcome

Originally Posted by Convertcrazed
Hey everyone, well I finally did it, I bought a major project off ebay...a 1970 Cutlass Supreme convert.....same car I had in HS some 30+ yrs ago Well anyway my ? is, are the floor panel sections sold by classic 2 current ( the cheap ones made in Taiwan) made to oem specs? Has anyone used these? I'm planning on purchasing there full length panels, but only using what I need? If not, any suggestions on where else I can buy them?
FYI I'm planning on building a nice neck wrenching driver, not a show car
Thanks
Eric
Hi Eric and welcome. I can't answer your question but just wanted to welcome you and let you know there is a lot of help here. My convertible is 23 years older, 1947, and still very much a project. Good luck with yours.
Jerry
Old August 20th, 2014, 06:50 AM
Old(s) Fart

Welcome. The Chinesium repro panels typically fit like crap and require a lot of hand labor to install properly. Your call on whether the cost savings of the cheap parts is worth the additional labor cost of installation.
Old August 20th, 2014, 07:19 AM
L69

The chinesium ones that joe mentioned do fit like crap. Try to find OEM floors off a parts car. There is a set of floor braces on ebay now that u can pick up and if u need floors good chance u might need brace work. If not at the least but the one piece section of floors. I have always had better luck with them as opposed to the three piece. Good luck
Old August 20th, 2014, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Welcome. The Chinesium repro panels typically fit like crap and require a lot of hand labor to install properly. Your call on whether the cost savings of the cheap parts is worth the additional labor cost of installation.
x2 - I've been thru this scenario not long ago, and if I ever had to do it again, I would definitely go with the one piece with braces attached. There is a LOT of additional FITTING, grinding, welding, filling, sanding with the pieced sets.

Originally Posted by L69
The chinesium ones that joe mentioned do fit like crap. Try to find OEM floors off a parts car. There is a set of floor braces on ebay now that u can pick up and if u need floors good chance u might need brace work. If not at the least but the one piece section of floors. I have always had better luck with them as opposed to the three piece. Good luck
Again, I would go with a new one piece set with the braces already attached, unless you really like drilling spot welds for days............
Old August 20th, 2014, 08:34 AM

I bought the Taiwan drivers side front half from C2C and it fit well. I bought the USA drivers side back half from C2C and it needed lots of hammering. My case seems to not be the norm though.
Old August 20th, 2014, 07:29 PM

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the info....FYI my braces are fine, but my forward front to firewall need repair and since I'm not building a perfect OEM show car, I figured I would get full pans to firewall? Once again I'm more worried about structural integrity than final fit and finish. Are all repo pans made with same OEM gauge metal? and my feet aren't as tuff as Fred's
Thanx
Eric