The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

First post , need an expert on the 200 4r conversion

Search this Thread

Old June 29th, 2014, 10:35 PM

First post , need an expert on the 200 4r conversion

Hey Guys
Been using this site to find much needed info for my 71 Olds Cutlass S.
I've been enjoying my Olds for 26 years. I restored the car in 1988 after I purchased from my Grandfather for $1000. Two years ago I started making some changes to the car as it was getting tired. lol

Lately I have rebuilt the 350 adding a performance cam and a 600 Holley and a performer intake. I got some headers from Mondello in California.
Changed the control arms to the tubular ones and new Eaton springs with Bilstien shocks and a 12.7 :1 gearbox, polyurethane bushings from Summit and a new sway bar in the rear, Disk brake conversion up front(car handles way better even with the 14 in SS11 Rims!)
installed 3.73 posi in rear also.

Now to the Transmission, I found a 2004r core that I took to a Transmission shop and had it rebuilt. It bolted right in with no issues. Had the Transmission Guy set up the tv cable to the throttle ( had to buy a adjustable bracket from a local performance shop to hook it up to the carb as the original cable that ran from my 350 turbo went to the gas pedal) also put in a vacuum switch that he wired to 4th gear for the lock up. Also put in a new torque converter that they use on the Grand National
Transmission seemed to shift too soon 3000 rpm at wot, even when you were putting your foot to it also it wouldn't kick down.
So I started reading about the kit from CK Performance CUSTOM STREET/STRIP VALVE BODY, GOVERNOR AND SERVO PACKAGE #24RVB/SSK

Had the guy put it in, on the test drive it slipped in 2nd gear and had to come out and get fixed. Trans Guy says it was the servo and it was too tight even though it was air tested. Spoke with Chris at PK and he sent me another one no problem. Put the new one in and it seemed alright but the problem of shifting too soon is still there it almost feels like the torque converter is locked in every gear. Spoke with Chris again and he's asking what the line pressure is he said it should be 240psi minimum
Had the pressure tested by the Trans Guy here's what he gave me.
He said he did it at idle, I'm not sure if it was done right?
Park 60 psi
Rev 130 psi
Neutral 60 psi
O/D 60 psi
3rd 60 psi
2nd 60 psi
1st 60 psi
I still have to Call Chris again to see what he says.

Car works great shifting manually up thru the gears I get a really firm shift from 1st to second and it squawks real good and 2nd to 3rd get a firm shift and a small squawk too!
Any input would be great.
Thanks in advance.

BTW how do you post a pic to your Avatar?