The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Finally a good BB for olds advice!!!

Search this Thread

Old October 17th, 2009, 05:42 PM
just another FNG

Finally a good BB for olds advice!!!

Looked around forever after I got my first olds and have found a good one. Now all I need is a lot of advice. Thanks for having me on.
Old October 17th, 2009, 05:51 PM

Welcome to the site. It would be helpful if you post your city and state in your profile. Who knows, there may be another member across town from you.

Please post pictures of your project when you can. Let the questions fly! There's a lot of experience and Oldsmobile history on this site!!! John
Old October 17th, 2009, 05:53 PM
Land Yacht Captain

Welcome. Like John said. We live for pictures here!!!!
Old October 17th, 2009, 06:12 PM

Talking Welcome to CO

Great to have you aboard, now where are the pictures. Still waiting............
Old October 17th, 2009, 06:31 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

It has been almost 12 hours and we don't have any pictures yet. No pictures, no advice.

Just kidding and welcome to the site. We hassle all the new members about pictures. You have found the premier Olds website. Great group of folks here and lots of knowledge. Tell us about your car and your plans when you have a chance.
Old October 17th, 2009, 07:24 PM
Past Administrator

We give you a hearty welcome to CO, glad to have you with us.
Old October 18th, 2009, 05:58 AM
Captain of my ship

WELCOME

You are correct , this is a great site to get all the info you need to keep your Olds running strong
Old October 18th, 2009, 06:13 AM
Registered

Thumbs up Welcome

Did you get the message about pics?

Originally Posted by 2blu442
Please post pictures of your project when you can. Let the questions fly! There's a lot of experience and Oldsmobile history on this site!!! John
Originally Posted by 66ninetyeightls
Welcome. Like John said. We live for pictures here!!!!
Originally Posted by citcapp
Great to have you aboard, now where are the pictures. Still waiting............
Originally Posted by redoldsman
It has been almost 12 hours and we don't have any pictures yet. No pictures, no advice.

Just kidding and welcome to the site. We hassle all the new members about pictures.
Where are they anyway?
Old October 18th, 2009, 09:34 AM
just another FNG

ok so i waited for 18 hours or so. Sorry about that. Ill make sure and have them up quick for you guys next time. Heres some pics.

A little background. this was an ebay score for 800 out of Philly PA. and then shipped out to Saint George UT. I didnt actually look at this car except for the pictures posted up about it. There were a lot of pictures so i knew just about everything i was getting into. It runs and drives. Tranny is just about gone but the engine is fairly strong.

Heres how she looked when i first got her.
my64olds-2.jpg

Its always nerve wracking getting a car covered in primer. You never know what you'll find under it.

Inside the trunk. HOLY SWISS CHEESE!!!! Trunk pan is completely rotted through. The rust monster also took out some trunk supports as well as shock mounts. gonna all have to be replaced.

Sanded the body... yep like i thought. Someone T-boned this car a bit and whoever tryed to fix it was amatuer at best. Bad slid hammer pulls and 1/2" to 3/4 inch thick bondo. That made a mess of my garage I tell you what. And the rear wheel lips are rotted through.

Work has begun....

Surprisingly enough with the exception of the wheel wells the rest of body is almost dead straight. not a lot of bondo and nastiness to speak of. Frame is surface rusty but not attacked badly. Not to bad for an east coast car. The interior is in good shape. No rips on the seat. Dash is ok. Steering wheel was replaced at sometime so its off color from the rest of the car no big deal.

As far as plans. The wheel wells are rusted pretty well too so I think ill do an aluminum Trunk with a mild tub in the back end. Also change it over to a 3 link suspension for better handling. Convert to disk brakes up front and swap out the rear member with a late 80's ford 9" with disk brakes. Everything lowered 1". Shave the trim and handlese. Update the interior. and drop some big block 455 power backed by a 4l60 or a 700r4. first things first though. Trunk and body work. I'll post pics as I go along. Thanks you all!!!!
Old October 18th, 2009, 10:10 AM
Registered

Cool, I could hardly wait.

Sounds like a plan.

You're right, the car really doesn't look that bad for the northeast at all, good deal.

That trunk does look a little ventilated.
At least there was steel underneath the filler and not Mickey D bags shoved in holes with steel window screen over that to form the surface and hold the bondo.
Never did that myself, I used BK bags.
Old October 18th, 2009, 01:50 PM

Welcome

Welcome aboard

I'm sorry I missed your first post. Some of the guys [and gals] have made me proved I yanked my engine with pics.
Old October 19th, 2009, 10:06 AM

Welcome to the forum
Old October 19th, 2009, 10:29 AM

Welcome aboard fellow 1964 F-85 owner.
I have been around the block (many times, infact) with my 64, let me know if you have any questions regarding what will work and what won't on a 64.
Old October 19th, 2009, 01:51 PM

Hey welcome to the site! Great to see another 64 "post" car owner here!!
Old October 19th, 2009, 10:08 PM
just another FNG

Originally Posted by Bluevista
Cool, I could hardly wait.

At least there was steel underneath the filler and not Mickey D bags shoved in holes with steel window screen over that to form the surface and hold the bondo.
Never did that myself, I used BK bags.
Nah its all about Weinershnitzil bags. But it has to be froma six pack of corn dogs. The grease from the bag will lubricate the door hinges for 20 years and put a protective layer over any possible rust spots.

1964f-85. Do you know of anyone that does repops of outer wheelhouses for the 64? Or am I just out of luck and have to re do the whole quarter panel? Also any places other then the usual suspects of the Paddock and Year One to get parts specific for that car?
Old October 20th, 2009, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by 64-olds-f85
Nah its all about Weinershnitzil bags. But it has to be froma six pack of corn dogs. The grease from the bag will lubricate the door hinges for 20 years and put a protective layer over any possible rust spots.

1964f-85. Do you know of anyone that does repops of outer wheelhouses for the 64? Or am I just out of luck and have to re do the whole quarter panel? Also any places other then the usual suspects of the Paddock and Year One to get parts specific for that car?
When you said "usual suspects" does that include Fusick and Supercars Unlimited? I have ordered from both with no problems for mine.