The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Father and son from Colorado with 73 Omega

Search this Thread

Old December 17th, 2017, 08:35 PM

Smile Father and son from Colorado with 73 Omega

I just bought my youngest son (19) a 1973 Olds Omega for his graduation/birthday , It was bought in Cali at Century Oldsmobile in Van Nuys California. & was built in the Van Nuys California plant,and took to Texas in the late 70's-early 80's , the some how ended up here in Northern Colorado and was stripped/gutted for a drag car in 1981-82? sat in their barn ever since until it was given to my buddy to scrap , Colt saw it & he wanted it so I made the deal to buy it for $200 ( a little of scrap price~But it's totally rust free) I had to evict 7000 spiders out of their lifetime home!
Now we're putting back together ......... slowly since I can't find many parts!
Just got a 1973 sbc 350 W/110K miles for it ( I know-I know ) but I couldn't find a Olds engine around here for nothing.
Old December 18th, 2017, 03:01 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, looks like a really solid start. We love father and son projects.
Old December 18th, 2017, 04:08 AM

Nice save! Hatchback is a plus! Its a Nova so parts are no problem, just some of the Oldsmobile specifics will be had to locate. Olds engine are pricey to build so SBC is good choice to keep cost down.
Old December 18th, 2017, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Welcome to the site, looks like a really solid start. We love father and son projects.
Thanks, I buy each one of my kids their 1st car, Colt's the last in line he's never really been a 'car' guy, But he's starting to have fun with this one.

Originally Posted by AZ520
Nice save! Hatchback is a plus! Its a Nova so parts are no problem, just some of the Oldsmobile specifics will be had to locate. Olds engine are pricey to build so SBC is good choice to keep cost down.

Thanks, No Nova parts cars around here, I've had adds up on F/B & C/list for awhile. I find it funny i have to tell the parts guys it's a Nova in order to get parts
Old December 18th, 2017, 07:16 AM

Welcome to the site. Looks like a fun project.
Old December 18th, 2017, 01:57 PM

Great father son project. Good luck. I was wondering if you knew what those wheels were from. I had a Skylark project car (sold) that had them.
Old December 18th, 2017, 02:45 PM
Olds Fever

Welcome to the group... Good luck with the new project and enjoy the time with your son in the rebuild process...
Old December 19th, 2017, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by Cutlass Fan
Great father son project. Good luck. I was wondering if you knew what those wheels were from. I had a Skylark project car (sold) that had them.
They're just chrome Olds rally's from a mid 80's Cutlass I also have some early Olds rallys
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
rally.jpg (210.9 KB, 9 views)
File Type: png
rally2.png (509.7 KB, 11 views)
Old December 19th, 2017, 08:39 AM
Forward into the Past

I don't frequent the salvage yards around here as much as I used to a couple of years ago, but it was rare to see cars older than maybe the 1980s. If a car was from the '70s, there was seldom anything useful left on it.

That said, there are lots of reproduction parts out there for Novas from companies like Classic Industries and Year One but those could run up a big bill if you're not careful and they're not always of the same quality as OEM. Other GM models that might be suitable parts donors include the Pontiac Ventura (1971-77) and Buick Apollo (1973-75). Later versions were badged Phoenix and Skylark, respectively. I owned a '77 Skylark coupe from 1983-88. For what it's worth, the rear hatch on that car appears to have been replaced with one from a Buick Apollo.

Good luck with the car. Half the fun is in the hunt!
Old December 19th, 2017, 09:38 AM
Administrator

I was looking at the pics again, does it have roll bar?
Old December 19th, 2017, 10:11 AM
Forward into the Past

There's definitely a roll cage in there. It's most visible through the rear quarter window in the fourth photo.
Old December 19th, 2017, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
I was looking at the pics again, does it have roll bar?

Yep, they gutted it make a drag car, My boy wants the roll bar gone, I told only if we find a rear seat........... for a early 70's Xbody hatchback ! HA HA HA
Old December 19th, 2017, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Human
I don't frequent the salvage yards around here as much as I used to a couple of years ago, but it was rare to see cars older than maybe the 1980s. If a car was from the '70s, there was seldom anything useful left on it.

That said, there are lots of reproduction parts out there for Novas from companies like Classic Industries and Year One but those could run up a big bill if you're not careful and they're not always of the same quality as OEM. Other GM models that might be suitable parts donors include the Pontiac Ventura (1971-77) and Buick Apollo (1973-75). Later versions were badged Phoenix and Skylark, respectively. I owned a '77 Skylark coupe from 1983-88. For what it's worth, the rear hatch on that car appears to have been replaced with one from a Buick Apollo.

Good luck with the car. Half the fun is in the hunt!
yep the hatch has been replaced with a Buick's, I found a Omega hatch but the guy wants $300 for it 'cause it's "rare" I think we can live with mismatched parts.
Old December 19th, 2017, 07:17 PM
Forward into the Past

Yeah, there's no sense swapping out the hatch if the Buick one is in good shape. The sheet metal is probably the same. Just shave the "Apollo" badge and find an "Omega" badge to go in its place after the car is painted.

Just a random thought on the rear seat. I wonder if it's the same as would have gone in a Vega hatchback, or at least close enough to bolt in.
Old December 19th, 2017, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Human
Yeah, there's no sense swapping out the hatch if the Buick one is in good shape. The sheet metal is probably the same. Just shave the "Apollo" badge and find an "Omega" badge to go in its place after the car is painted.

Just a random thought on the rear seat. I wonder if it's the same as would have gone in a Vega hatchback, or at least close enough to bolt in.
The badges were swiped off it I'be looking at different rear seats to see if they'll fit between the roll bar down tubes