The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Did I bite off more than I can chew? 98 newbie

Search this Thread

Old June 14th, 2010, 11:59 PM

Did I bite off more than I can chew? 98 newbie

Hi! I am new to this website - Last week, I was doing my daily ritual of surfing craig'slist - when I came upon a guy who had 1972 olds 98 for $2800 - as the week progressed, the price got lower and lower - till by fri it was $1300 - So I struck a deal over the phone and then went and put down on it - It's real clean, 455, runs good, only rust are hole is in the trunk bout the size of a quarter - front seat had some rips - The bad thing is the bumper is rotted in the back - and was missing hubcaps - can someone tell me where the hell I can find a bumper for this car?

Thanks
Old June 15th, 2010, 01:02 AM
Registered

Welcome... you know.

Sounds like a good deal if it only has that much rust, runs, stops and the tires are good.

Need pics.

There are several land yacht skippers on here that may know where to find wheel covers and a stern bumper unit for the mighty craft or have something.

I was in the same class with those bohemoths at the last car show with my Vista, can I be in the neat and swell "Land Yacht Club" now you guys??
Old June 15th, 2010, 04:50 AM
Past Administrator

Yeah, wait until those guys wake up and read about it. I guarantee you they will tell you that you did good. I think so too. Welcome to CO. Pictures! pictures!
Old June 15th, 2010, 05:30 AM

Welcome to our site. I bet your car is awsome! We can't wait to see pics.

To get a new rear bumper you will have to locate a parts car. Definitely check out Craigslist and Hemmings in your area for parts cars. You can also find parts here:

http://www.billionsandtrillionsinc.com/

If you are interested, I have a set of wheel covers off of a 1971 98 that I would be willing to part with. I don't think they are identical to wheel covers from 1972, but they are in decent condition.
Old June 15th, 2010, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by iknow
can someone tell me where the hell I can find a bumper for this car?
There is no one source for things like this. You'll need to search the used parts places on the web, possibly making calls or filling out "parts request forms" along the way.

I needed a front bumper for a '73 full-size Olds a few months ago, and, after searching the web and finding not a few dead-ends (places often don't update their inventory on the web, and when you call them about a part they list, they'll say "oh, we crushed that car a year ago," or "we sold that part six months ago"), I finally found one in Minnesota. Cost me $125 plus $100 for shipping (to Ohio), but it was worth it because, if you need a bumper, you need a bumper. If he had been just a little closer, I might have driven there to pick it up as it would have given me a chance to see it first-hand before buying, but it turned out to be a fine bumper just as described.
Old June 15th, 2010, 08:54 AM

Thanks! I will post pics as soon as I get the car home next - Unfortunately, the only thing I find on craigslist are the parts I don't need - yet. If there's one thing I hate, is driving around with a rotted out bumper and no hub caps - makes you feel like white trash! Not to mention the law factor. I will park it in front of the house with pride and the neigbors can kiss my butt!
Old June 15th, 2010, 08:56 AM

how much on the covers i live in ohio.
Old June 15th, 2010, 09:01 AM

Not to mention the law factor.
Do they have a law requiring a bumper in OH?

BTW, check out the wheel covers on my Flickr site. They are on page 4. I will get closer photos this evening.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sunsalamander14/page4
Old June 15th, 2010, 09:12 AM

cool give a price thanks - if i don't find hub cabs soon, i will be forced to put 22" spinner wheels on this vehicle, Now you don't want that to happen, do ya? LOL
Old June 15th, 2010, 09:32 AM
Past Administrator

NOoooooooo! don't do that!
Old June 16th, 2010, 12:59 AM

cool that would be great i live in gibsonburg oh. about 28 miles south east of toledo.
Old June 16th, 2010, 04:03 AM

I posted the pictures of the wheel covers. I sent you a PM.