The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

dannyboy

Search this Thread

Old February 1st, 2013, 06:34 PM

dannyboy

New to this. Father in law passed away and has a 63 Olds 98 that has been stored in the garage and covered for 12 to 15 years. Shows 10,000 miles and seems to be in pristine conditions, except for a little mildew on the seats and door liner. No battery in it, but I expect it will run with a little work. Any ideas out there as to the value, etc?
Old February 1st, 2013, 09:11 PM

Welcome aboard.

We would need quite a bit more Information than what you have supplied us to even venture a WAG. Is it a four door,two door ,a Holiday Two bbl or four bbl High compression or low,will it run or not,will it stop and shift when asked. Things like that, Other than that 63's are one of my favorites and a car I had in my youth. We would love to see a few pictures when you find the time...Lost in the fifties...Tedd
Old February 2nd, 2013, 05:42 AM

Welcome to the forum.
Old February 2nd, 2013, 06:34 AM
delete

Sorry about your father in law. To get any kind of ballpark you should push it out into the light of day & take a few pics. I wouldn't go beyond that at first. On the upside unrestored original cars are the flavor of the month & bringing good money right now. Pics will help determine if there is any way 10K is orig miles or 110K or 210K for that matter. If there is any way its 10K miles the pedals should show little wear and items like spark plug wires would still prob be original.
Old February 2nd, 2013, 08:09 AM

003.jpg

010.jpg

002.jpg

Took these couple of pictures before having it towed to a guy's shop that was recommended to me. The battery had been taken out and I felt like before we made any effort to crank it, the fuel tank should be drained and checked for rust.
Old February 2nd, 2013, 10:53 AM

Well, from the pics, she does look pretty pristine. The one incongruity is the paint wear on the upper radiator tank. That does not go with an engine compartment that looks as though it just came off the showroom floor.

Good move on draining gas, changing fluids, etc. before trying to fire.

$7.490 to $10,900 for a #2 car, depending on model -
http://collectorcarmarket.com/menus/.../63ol9898.html
Old February 2nd, 2013, 12:13 PM

Thanks for the info. Not sure what the deal is with the radiator. Didn't reall have much chance to look at it. It had been under multiple layer of cloths and stored in the garage for about 15 years. The discoloration on the hoses seems to be mildew. It will wipe off with your finger. The car is 4 hours away from me, so I was just there to meet the tow truck driver and left soon after.
Old February 3rd, 2013, 10:03 AM

When you get a chance, do post some pics of the interior. Is it a 2 or 4 door? Check out the glove box for the Owner Manual and Protect-o-Plate, and any other docs pertaining to the car. Valuable items to have.

Since you are asking about price, is it your intent to sell? I hope not. This care should be enjoyed by you!
Old February 3rd, 2013, 06:27 PM
GM Enthusiast

Welcome, looks like a nice car.
Old February 3rd, 2013, 06:45 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Sharp car.

Dave, the view through the windshield looks like a 4-door sedan.

Using your site, with A/C, they put the price at $6800 in #2 condition, and $3800 in the (more likely) #3 condition, so somewhere in the $3,000 to $4,000 range seems right, if he can find a buyer.

- Eric