The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Column shifter

Search this Thread

Old July 3rd, 2012, 11:08 AM

Post Column shifter

I have a modified 73 olds 455 cid; 4:11 posi; TH400 and the new B&M shifter is on the floor. the original shifter is still on the steering column and sometimes it is out of the "park" position and the car won't turn over. It usually starts up just fine for me, however the original shifter being out of alignment is sporadically causing the car not to start. I am wondering
1. how to remove that feature
2. how to disable that feature
3. how to bypass that feature
any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old July 3rd, 2012, 04:08 PM

You should hook up the neutral switch on the floor shifter, to be safe.

But at the bottom of the column, the neutral switch has purple wires, you need to splice the two wires together. Or some how pin the switch so as not to move.

Best bet is to run the wires to your floor shifter and hook them to the switch on the floor shifter. For one of these days you or some body will forget and start it in gear, and look out it will be rollen.

Gene
Old July 4th, 2012, 06:31 AM

great info

Thanks for the tip, the person i bought this from recently also has replaced the steering wheel, could this potentially effect the color of those wires? I am not an expert yet at the restoration process, but thankfully I have a car that will help me get there.
Old July 4th, 2012, 06:51 AM

I have another question, what color would the same wires be on my '68? as I am undertaking the same....
Old July 4th, 2012, 09:11 AM

PURPLE is the color.....
The wires are pretty good size, I think a #10 wire, you can't miss them.
Steering wheel should should have no bearing on the color.

Gene

Last edited by 64Rocket; July 5th, 2012 at 07:40 PM.
Old July 15th, 2012, 05:02 PM

Gene, i have tried connecting the purple wires directly that didnt work, then i replaced the switch altogether, that didnt work, i was womdering if you other ideas for me? I am a first time resto guy, looking to find out all he can. Is there something else you think i should i should be looming at? Any direction would be helpful. Thanks in advance for the help.
vinny.
Old July 15th, 2012, 05:09 PM

There is an adjustment that can be made on the safety switch to align it properly with the "Park" position. You can try adjusting it or you can put the column shifter in the "Neutral" position. Either position will allow the starter to engage.
Old July 15th, 2012, 06:45 PM

Vinny, You took the two purple wires off the safety switch and hook them together and nothing happen!!
Then it sounds like you need a starter solenoid. The contacts get burned and they work loose .
My thought is get the "Powerhouse #9510" starter. More torque and lighter and much smaller, more room for keeping the starter cooler.

Gene
Old August 15th, 2012, 11:22 AM

well, i have replaced the neutral switch and that didn't do anything. I tracked the current from the nuetral switch to the starter solenoid and it is working. i am now going to replace the starter and soleniod ( a one peice unit) and see if that helps. my question is there are two posts on the solenoid and the one is large and holds the large black battery cable and such, but the other smaller post holds only a singulare black wire. that came off with the starter itself, where does wire hook back up to?
thanks.
Old August 15th, 2012, 11:27 AM

this is what i have and it is removed, but the black wire i am not sure about.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
013.jpg (33.0 KB, 19 views)
Old August 15th, 2012, 12:26 PM

You should have one small wire going from the solenoid right to the starter, it is not removable. There is another small wire that you disconnect to remove the starter, it goes up to the coil. And then of course you have the battery positive cable.

What I want to know is what's the yellow wire going to the large terminal on your starter?
Old August 15th, 2012, 12:38 PM

ok so, "up to the coil" where/what is that? and the yellow wire connects from up above in the engine where a bunch of wires come together just behind the dist cap. this car was modified when i bought it, so i am not sure what it is/does. i assumed it was the wire from the nuetral switch, giving the solenoid 12 volts to kick the starter on.
Attached Images
010.jpg (31.6 KB, 9 views)
008.jpg (24.4 KB, 10 views)
009.jpg (27.2 KB, 9 views)
011.jpg (24.5 KB, 10 views)
013.jpg (33.0 KB, 9 views)
Old August 15th, 2012, 12:49 PM

Ok, see the large terminal where the battery cable is? That has 12 volts on it all the time...it's connected to the battery. There are two other wires on either side of that that go to the switched ignition and coil. The third terminal that you are taking pictures of goes from the solenoid to the starter and gives it 12 volts to engage and crank the engine when a connection is made with the ignition switch.

Remove the battery terminal from the battery, then remove it from the starter along with the 2 smaller wires on either side of the large terminal. The 3rd fixed terminal is left alone. The starter should come out in one piece.

If you have a new starter already it'll be easier for you to see what I'm talking about.
Old August 15th, 2012, 01:13 PM

i do have the new starter at my house, i will follow your insurcution this evening and let you know tomorrow how i fare. thanks for the hlep. my concern is that i only pulled these two wires (the big post and the little post) from the starter to remove it, when the starter fell down, the black wire from the smaller post got caught on it and i just don't know where it came from. thanks again, i'll keep you posted. here is the cutlass full pic.
Old August 15th, 2012, 01:13 PM

sorry, here you go....
Attached Images
post pic.jpg (171.5 KB, 13 views)
Old August 16th, 2012, 06:44 AM

I see now what you mean. I had to call the guy i bought it from, for a quick explanation on what he did to the car prior to me... I should get it installed this weekend. looking forward to that low rumble again. HOpefully the starter is the problem. I will keep you posted.
thanks.
Old September 4th, 2012, 02:20 PM

new starter

I installed the new starter, quite easy i might add, and she turned right over. got the two wires where they needed to go. it has been running good. onto the carb, the flooring, the hvac system, etc etc etc. thanks for all the help!