The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Changed timing chain now car won't start

Search this Thread

Old March 30th, 2020, 03:49 PM

Changed timing chain now car won't start

I changed the timing chain on my 68 olds 350 to a double roller cloyes(it fit), and now it won't start. I lined up the chain before i took it off and marked it(cam sprocket@ 6oclock)(crank sprocket@12oclock) so that's the way i put the new one on. Now it wont start like it's getting no spark. Help guys thanks
Old March 30th, 2020, 03:58 PM
Running On Empty

Have you reviewed this thread?

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...-marks-142002/
Old March 30th, 2020, 03:59 PM

Check it for spark and fuel. Guessing it ran before replacing the chain? Did you put the fuel pump eccentric back on the front of the cam?

Good luck!!!

Last edited by Sugar Bear; March 30th, 2020 at 04:03 PM.
Old March 30th, 2020, 04:05 PM

You're more than likely 180 degrees out
Old March 30th, 2020, 04:07 PM
Running On Empty

Read the post #2 link I provided - review both oldscutlass and Joe's suggestions regarding stabbing the distributor and it's alignment relative to #1 & #6 @ TDC.
Old March 30th, 2020, 04:08 PM

I thought i was 180 but i didn't remove the distributor.
Old March 30th, 2020, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
vintage chief yea i just looked at it
so i when i have it lined up the way i did just turn the crank one full turn right?
Old March 30th, 2020, 04:17 PM
Running On Empty

Correct
Old March 30th, 2020, 04:21 PM

Thanks guys, now taking everything back off ohhhh yeaaa😐😅
Old March 30th, 2020, 04:22 PM
Running On Empty

You did read the distributor needs to be pointing @ #1 TDC? Post #8 of the link.
Old March 30th, 2020, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
You did read the distributor needs to be pointing @ #1 TDC? Post #8 of the link.
yea so when my distributor rotor is pointing at my #1 plug i am good right?
Old March 30th, 2020, 04:26 PM
Running On Empty

Correct
Old March 30th, 2020, 04:39 PM

Did you check for fuel and/or spark first? If it is 180 out it does not have to come apart, just rotate the crank one turn. Put number one TDC restab the distributor.
Old March 30th, 2020, 04:42 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by sugar bear
if it is 180 out it does not have to come apart, just rotate the crank one turn. Put number one tdc restab the distributor.
exactly
Old March 30th, 2020, 04:49 PM

I should have been more specific TDC on the COMPRESSION stroke.
Old March 30th, 2020, 05:46 PM

Right now the rotor is facing the firewall towards the passenger side
Old March 30th, 2020, 05:54 PM

So it's facing the #6 plug at tdc, what next
Old March 30th, 2020, 05:54 PM
Running On Empty

Well, that's no good. Point it to #1 when #1 is @ TDC.
Old March 30th, 2020, 06:03 PM
Running On Empty

In case there was any misunderstanding w/ regard to what has been stated several times from the previous post I'll re-post it again.

"Its easier to align when the crank is at 12 and cam is at 6 with #1 at tdc (in this position #6 is firing). Once assembled, turn the crank 1 full turn (puts crank at 12 and cam at 12) and install the distributor pointing to #1."
Old March 30th, 2020, 08:11 PM

The rotor must point to #1 when the #1 piston is at Top Dead Center TDC on the COMPRESSION stroke. To the OP #1 at TDC isn't good enough because it could be TDC on the exhaust stroke, that will not work.

Another way of confirming TDC on the COMPRESSION stroke is that both #1 cylinder rocker arms will be closed and not move if the crank is moved a few degrees in either direction AND at the same time the #6 cylinder rocker arms will move/seesaw as the crank is moved back and forth.

Install the distributor with #1 on TDC COMPRESSION stroke with the rotor pointing at #1 plug wire, start the engine and set the timing with a light.

Good luck!!!
Old March 30th, 2020, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by Sugar Bear
The rotor must point to #1 when the #1 piston is at Top Dead Center TDC on the COMPRESSION stroke. To the OP #1 at TDC isn't good enough because it could be TDC on the exhaust stroke, that will not work.

Another way of confirming TDC on the COMPRESSION stroke is that both #1 cylinder rocker arms will be closed and not move if the crank is moved a few degrees in either direction AND at the same time the #6 cylinder rocker arms will move/seesaw as the crank is moved back and forth.

Install the distributor with #1 on TDC COMPRESSION stroke with the rotor pointing at #1 plug wire, start the engine and set the timing with a light.

Good luck!!!
thanks a lot I'm only 16 so i might ask a lot of questions just to be sure of things lol me and my brother share this profile
Old March 31st, 2020, 10:35 AM

You are welcome. It is great to see youth showing interest in the hobby. If you have questions ASK, ASK, ASK, that is the purpose of the forum.

Good luck!!!
Old March 31st, 2020, 12:19 PM

I remember having the same problem after I rebuilt my first engine when i was 15. My Dad was able to solve the problem. Great to see someone your age working on and enjoying the cars us old fogeys grew up with.
Old March 31st, 2020, 01:33 PM

I took off the distributor cap and the rotor will not spin🤔🤔😐 the car started and ran everyday
Old March 31st, 2020, 01:44 PM
Running On Empty

The rotor doesn't spin on its own. The rotor spins from the spinning of the distributor shaft. The rotor itself is locked in place. There is a key-way which keeps the rotor locked into its position. As the rotor spins, the extended metal piece on the rotor contacts each and every single contact point on the distributor cap. You'll notice the distributor cap is where you will find 9 wires - 8 on the circumference and one in the middle. The one in the middle is your coil wire. The 8 on the circumference are the contact plug wires for each of the 8 cylinders.

You want the #1 spark plug wire location on the distributor cap and the rotor itself pointed to the #1 cylinder when the #1 cylinder is in the TDC of its compression stroke.

Take some pictures and post your pictures so we can see what you're dealing with here.

So, what you need to do is loosen the distributor hold-down, remove the distributor and then re-insert the distributor back into the hole from which you pulled it until it is situated at the points which we have been explaining.

Notice we stated you will perform the above after you have turned the crankshaft one full turn. That will align the distributor shaft into the camshaft and when re-inserting the distributor, you will insert the distributor (shaft) at the position I just described.

I think you need to read up on what and how a distributor operates. Review some YouTube videos on distributors. We can post some for you.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; March 31st, 2020 at 01:48 PM.
Old March 31st, 2020, 01:59 PM
Running On Empty

Have a look at Post # 35 on this thread and maybe Post # 38.

We're going to assume at this point (pictures would be good if you can post some) you have OEM-Style (Original Equipment Manufacturer-Style) contact points distributor and NOT an HEI distributor. The HEI distributor is another ball game. See my link below, it demonstrates what an OEM distributor looks like, and the post I provided above show a person changing the rotor and distributor cap on an OEM-Style distributor.

I think this might take you a little longer than anticipated, but there are many here who are willing to assist you in your efforts - be patient.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...-drive-134624/
Old March 31st, 2020, 02:20 PM
Running On Empty

Here's a decent video on the ignition system of a vehicle.

Old March 31st, 2020, 02:34 PM

When wouldn't it spin? While cranking or trying to turn it by hand? It should turn when cranking the engine. It should have about 1/4-1/2" rotational spring tensioned movement when turning the rotor by hand.

If it won't turn when cranking the engine, pull a valve cover, crank it and see if the rocker arms go up and down. Let us know the result and we'll go to the next step.

Good luck!!!
Old March 31st, 2020, 02:38 PM
Running On Empty

That's a good point. It should certainly spin when cranking the engine (or turning the crank by hand). I assumed he was attempting to turn the rotor with the engine off and the distributor cap removed (obviously).
Old March 31st, 2020, 04:50 PM

I took out the distributor everything is good there. I got plenty of time so i took everything back off..... The cam sprocket hole isn't on the camshaft dowell😐😐 so i guess i found the issue.
Old March 31st, 2020, 05:15 PM

Good work, stay at it and get it running.
Old March 31st, 2020, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Supremecutty
The cam sprocket hole isn't on the camshaft dowell😐😐 so i guess i found the issue.
Yes, yes you did. I just can't comprehend how the timing gear was bolted to the camshaft without that being aligned correctly.
Old April 1st, 2020, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by Supremecutty
I thought i was 180 but i didn't remove the distributor.
Just found this thread, if he didn't remove distributor why is anyone giving advice to remove it. Seems like this got out of hand for this young man.
Old April 1st, 2020, 08:00 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by classicmuscle.442
Just found this thread, if he didn't remove distributor why is anyone giving advice to remove it. Seems like this got out of hand for this young man.
Chris - I'll accept some responsibility. At the beginning of the thread up until Post # 8 (or somewhere) there was moderate information and it appeared a case of being 180° out. I did catch the thread the OP did not remove the distributor later on; and, you're correct at that point why pursue the 180° out any longer. In hindsight there was perhaps some malformed information being presented to the young man, in the end I certainly would not have suspected timing gear was bolted to the camshaft without being aligned correctly. The giveaway would have been when the OP stated the rotor isn't turning - honestly, I thought the OP was referring to the inability of the rotor just free turning. Pretty clear now - why the rotor was indeed, not turning.
Old April 2nd, 2020, 09:45 PM

I'm having trouble getting the cam sprocket on the cam dowel, even if i try putting the old one back on it wont go on. Any advice? Thanks
Old April 2nd, 2020, 09:55 PM

Look closely at the end of the dowel, it probably has a burr or nick on it. It doesn't take hardly anything to cause a fit problem. If you see anything use a fine file to chamfer (angle it toward the end so it isn't square) the edge of the dowel. The chamfered/angled leading edge will guide the pin into the gear. Visualize trying to line two holes using a pick or tapered punch. The taper is what helps it get started.

Good luck!!!

Last edited by Sugar Bear; April 2nd, 2020 at 09:58 PM.
Old April 2nd, 2020, 09:57 PM

Look closely at the end of the dowel, it probably has a burr or nick on it. It doesn't take hardly anything to cause a fit problem. If you see anything use a fine file to chamfer (angle it toward the end so it isn't square) the edge of the dowel. The chamfered/angled leading edge will guide the pin into the gear. Visualize trying to line two holes using a pick or tapered punch.

Good luck!!!
thank you sugar bear, I'm guessing it's happened to others as well. Lol
Old April 4th, 2020, 01:59 PM

My cam sprocket won't go fit on the side the timing mark is on, so can i mark the other side right behind it and be ok? It goes on the other way.
Old April 4th, 2020, 07:03 PM

Will the old gear go on the correct way?
Can you post a picture of both sides of the new cam gear and note which side faces front when it will go on?
Confirm that the part #'s on the box and the gear match and that they are correct for your motor.
​​​​​​
​​​​​
​​​​​
Old April 4th, 2020, 07:22 PM

Will the old gear go on the correct way?
Can you post a picture of both sides of the new cam gear and note which side faces front when it will go on?
Confirm that the part #'s on the box and the gear match and that they are correct for your motor.
​​​​​​
​​​​​
​​​​​

I marked both sprockets.

Quick Reply: Changed timing chain now car won't start