The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Canadian newbie.

Search this Thread

Old October 8th, 2014, 11:29 AM

Canadian newbie.

Hidy Ho folks,

Happily the proud owner of a 1970 "survivor" Cutlass S Holiday special coupe.

But I am hoping somebody can help me with a breakdown question.

I have decoded the vin already but it's the unusual options package that was ordered by the original owner (who I purchased the car from)

This one has power windows, hood lock, ralley wheels, power steering, power brakes, and nothing else.

It seems a little odd to me but I have it on the original Factory order sheet.

it's a Fremont C.A. build, can anybody help me with the breakdown of how many were optioned like this?

If it helps it was ordered December 9, 1969 and was delivered to the customer February 21, 1970.
Old October 8th, 2014, 11:43 AM

Welcome to CO , what part of Canada are you in ?
Old October 8th, 2014, 12:03 PM

Coming to you live from Edmonton Alberta,

Bought the car from the original owner in Calgary who bought it from a dealership in Edson Alberta.
Old October 8th, 2014, 01:58 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, what do you think is odd and missing? If your referring to A/C, it's not odd at all. We have quite a few people from Canada here. Post some pictures of your car when you get a chance.
Old October 8th, 2014, 02:33 PM

Power windows, but no locks ... no A/C or tilt ... rallye rims, vinyl top, and oddly a interior hood lock. not latch but lock.
Old October 8th, 2014, 07:30 PM
I'm indecisive. Or am I..

Welcome from the left coast!
Many moons ago I had a '71 Supreme with A/C and power trunk release, column shift bench seat. I beat on it like a rented mule - but I was only 22...
Old October 8th, 2014, 08:34 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by kriggi

it's a Fremont C.A. build, can anybody help me with the breakdown of how many were optioned like this?

If it helps it was ordered December 9, 1969 and was delivered to the customer February 21, 1970.
Welcome aboard. Wow, someone else from Edmonton!
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but the records you're looking for don't exist, even for Canadian built or export for sale to Canada cars. Since it's a Freemont car, you might still be able to snag the build sheet from on top of the fuel tank. Almost all the Freemont cars seem to have them there.

What part of Edmonton are you? I'm up in Elsinore.
Old October 8th, 2014, 09:20 PM

Top of the fuel tank eh?
Interesting... over in the Northmount area.
Old October 9th, 2014, 07:17 AM

Welcome to this great site. I also live in Northmount and I don't think I've seen you around. Do you go to Petro Can on Thursdays or White Oaks on Fridays?
Old October 9th, 2014, 07:34 AM

You mean this car?

Originally Posted by kriggi
Hidy Ho folks,

Happily the proud owner of a 1970 "survivor" Cutlass S Holiday special coupe.

But I am hoping somebody can help me with a breakdown question.

I have decoded the vin already but it's the unusual options package that was ordered by the original owner (who I purchased the car from)

This one has power windows, hood lock, ralley wheels, power steering, power brakes, and nothing else.

If this is your car it also has tinted windshield, vinyl roof, rear defrost, clock & courtesy lights. Those power brakes are also discs.

So...is this your car? If so PM me for more pictures & details.

Old October 9th, 2014, 08:20 AM

Yup as of last week this is now mine.

Yea I should have added those details as well, sadly though the factory tinted windshield is long gone now.

I have been to White Oaks and Petro but not yet with this one. I have been around in a previous Cutlass (The Duck) and a new Design Challenger. Actually unless it's now gone there is still a photo of my last Cutlass on the wall of the Petro.
Old October 9th, 2014, 08:33 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Dave, is this one that got away from you?
Old October 9th, 2014, 08:47 AM

not

Originally Posted by Allan R
Dave, is this one that got away from you?

Got away? No.

I was 1st on the scene to inspect and drive the car. I decided to pass on it.

I trust it went to a good home. Congrats on your purchase & good luck with the restoration.

I will leave it to the new owner to post more about the car, its' colorful past owner & history & additional pictures.
Old October 9th, 2014, 10:46 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Gotcha. I don't think there's much anywhere on the Olds market that you don't get a sniff of one way or another; that's why I was curious.

Maybe I'll get a chance to see this car in person one day - it's not as far away as Calgary or Cochrane. BTW, thanks again for the great deal on the rad. I wish it was installed but I've had too much on the go around the yard and house to do any work on the Cutlass. It'll wait till next year and hopefully I'll have it at the OLDS RR in July. Would you consider bringing the 72 Radiant Green 442? I'd love to see that in person instead of just the pics.
Old October 9th, 2014, 11:26 AM

Olds car show

Gotcha. I don't think there's much anywhere on the Olds market that you don't get a sniff of one way or another; that's why I was curious.

Maybe I'll get a chance to see this car in person one day - it's not as far away as Calgary or Cochrane. BTW, thanks again for the great deal on the rad. I wish it was installed but I've had too much on the go around the yard and house to do any work on the Cutlass. It'll wait till next year and hopefully I'll have it at the OLDS RR in July. Would you consider bringing the 72 Radiant Green 442? I'd love to see that in person instead of just the pics.

Usually the Olds show is up against a drag racing event in Medicine Hat or I have to work. If I am not working I would much rather sit in my race car & burn rubber than sit on a lawn chair & arm wave about cars. Besides the 72 W-30 has been there many times & needs to be repainted...the crappy resto from 20 years ago is rearing its ugly head. Next time I get a chance to come to the show I will be driving my 1970 W-31 car as few people outside of Medicine Hat AB have ever seen that car.

Last edited by oldsmobiledave; October 9th, 2014 at 11:29 AM.
Old October 9th, 2014, 12:27 PM

Yes I do have a pretty good history on the car, one of the things that made it more appealing.

It's not a perfect car by any means but honestly for an Alberta Survivor car this is just about one of the best I have seen in a long time.

Will start an album of the work done to the car and fully in hopes of having it ready and rolling fresh and Green for the start of the 2015 season.
Old October 9th, 2014, 04:24 PM

you can do a vin search through GM Canada if it was sold new up here, even as an import
Old October 9th, 2014, 04:50 PM

fyi

Originally Posted by stan 65 cutlass
you can do a vin search through GM Canada if it was sold new up here, even as an import

He doesn't need it. He bought it from the original owner who ordered the car new.
Old October 9th, 2014, 07:12 PM

Yup and I have a fair bit of documentation with it. Not everything but a pretty good history.

If I can talk my broker/boss/pretty red head into it I might even try and take it to White Oaks this Friday if anybody is still going.
Old October 9th, 2014, 07:17 PM

Welcome to the CO site and congrats on the find. Enjoy the restore and you will love the ride. Everyone loves these cars. Glad you have it!
Old October 9th, 2014, 10:25 PM

Welcome to the site kriggi! Congrats on your new ride and best of luck with it!

Your car reminds me of my 1st car...'70 Cutlass S, blue w/black top, black bench interior. Loved that car (always liked the rather unique hood with grille inserts) but, sadly, some low-life decided to take it from me in the early 90's. That sucked.

Good luck with your restore work!
Old November 25th, 2014, 03:09 PM

I'm new to your site. It is nice to see all you Canadians,on this site,when I need help or information I know where tocome!

Last edited by Crow55cars; November 25th, 2014 at 03:12 PM.
Old November 26th, 2014, 02:46 PM

Hey does anybody in the Edmonton area know anybody that can sandblast or dip a fender for a decent price?
Old November 26th, 2014, 04:52 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Not sure that you'd want to sandblast a fender. It might cause distortion. You could always check with a rad repair shop if you want to have it dipped. Their tubs are fair size. I've never used that method yet, so it's just a suggestion.
Old November 26th, 2014, 04:55 PM

thoughts

Not sure that you'd want to sandblast a fender. It might cause distortion. You could always check with a rad repair shop if you want to have it dipped. Their tubs are fair size. I've never used that method yet, so it's just a suggestion.

Surely he must be talking about media blasting. No one sand blasts a fender.

And for dipping he must be talking about chemical / acid dip. Do not know anyone in Edmonton but there must be places. It wont be cheap.
Old November 26th, 2014, 09:35 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Dave, is the dipping process the same that's used for descaling rust and crud on bumpers? I'm asking because I just don't know. Most of the chroming shops up here might be able to do that if it's a yes.

Yeah, I was a bit surprised about the sandblasting too. One form of blasting that seems to be very friendly to everything including glass and trim is 'soda' blasting. I've seen shows where that was done and it was fascinating with incredible results. Messy but great results.
Old November 27th, 2014, 06:41 AM

a few years ago was a company called readi strip, dipped everything in a solution to remove rust