The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Cadillac man finding a new love...

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2009, 09:17 AM

Cadillac man finding a new love...

Good morning everyone. I must say that I might have found a new love in Oldsmobiles. I have been a Cadillac man for many many years. My grandfather owed a 57 Cadillac DeVille and had it for over 40 years before he selling it. That car will always be my first... Many years later and many cars in between, I'm here. Here is an 82 Oldsmobile 4 Dr Cutlass Brougham. My father-in-law over heated the motor to the point of death and I have taken on the responsibility of breathing new life into it. The car had a 5A head 307 in it, I found a two hundred dollars 307 in excellent condition. The difference in the engine’s is the new motor has 7A heads.

After several months, (the reason it took me so long is because I have four young boys, I work full-time and attended college part-time.) I have the motor in and running very well I’m might add. The only issue that I’m having is when the car shifts from 2nd to 3rd there is a large denotation and knocking. It sounds like she wants to cut off. When I press the gas she sputters for a moment or two then picks right back up.

I have been reading and reading for the several weeks and I have been learning from others mistakes. I have tried two EGR values will no success. I have triple check all vacuum lines and hoses. The only thing that I have noticed between the two intakes is that one has a port for the cruise control. (I think it’s the cruise control.) Thing about it… There is a second line from the tranny that connects to the carb, right under the throttle arm… maybe this could be the reason…

Forgive my choppiness… Sometimes my brain fires off in a hundred directions at once. If anyone has had this similar problem and would like to share some insight please do so. I’m off to go check that cable from the tranny and see if that might be the issue.

Thanks,

Original Cadillac Lover -> Oldsmobile Enthusiast
Old May 12th, 2009, 09:39 AM

Often the trouble on computer controlled Oldsmobiles of this era is that the solenoid for the lock-up torque converter hangs up and causes the converter to stay locked up. This causes pinging and very poor driveability when the engine warms up. It is most noticeable on the 1-2 shift when accelerating. See if there is an electrical plug on the drivers side of the trans and unplug it while the engine is cool. Then drive and see if anything improves. It will disengage the lockup feature and indicate a bad or sticky solenoid.
Old May 12th, 2009, 09:46 AM

There is an electrical plug on the driver-side of the tranny. I have driven the car with it connected and disconnected. No luck it still acts up from 2nd gear into and in 3rd gear. Could the SOLENOID it self be bad and locks up the converter all time?
Old May 12th, 2009, 09:56 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 82 Cutlass
There is a second line from the tranny that connects to the carb, right under the throttle arm… maybe this could be the reason…
This is called the throttle valve cable. The 200-4R transmission uses this throttle valve as a sort of mechanical throttle position sensor. It combines the functions of the kickdown (passing gear) and the vacuum modulator. It is imperative that the TV cable be adjusted properly. Failure to do so will wreak havoc in the 200-4R, which is a somewhat marginal trans in stock form.
Old May 12th, 2009, 10:11 AM

Thanks joe info. That will be one of the first things I do tonight. Now when you say "wreak havoc" what do you mean? I have ran about 60 miles with out that TV connected, should I be concerned?

Also, aren't the 200-4R tranny the one with the dual bolt pattern. Olds and Chevy?
Old May 12th, 2009, 10:37 AM
may the Olds be with you

welcome to the site!
Old May 12th, 2009, 11:24 AM

ive always like the old caddys. theres just something about them that makes you stare at em
Old May 12th, 2009, 12:18 PM
Old(s) Fart

Thanks joe info. That will be one of the first things I do tonight. Now when you say "wreak havoc" what do you mean? I have ran about 60 miles with out that TV connected, should I be concerned?

Also, aren't the 200-4R tranny the one with the dual bolt pattern. Olds and Chevy?
The 200-4R is very sensitive to overheated fluid, which can be the case if the TV cable is not adjusted properly. The throttle valve controls line pressure and incorrect pressure can lead to clutch pack slippage and damage. I would not drive the car until the TV cable was correctly attached and adjusted.

The 200-4R actually came in BOP, Chevy, and unisex case styles. The Chevy only are very rare and the BOP only were typically the early 80s. By far the vast majority are unisex. There are also unisex TH350 cases.
Old May 12th, 2009, 01:02 PM

Thanks again joe. I will connect the TV cable and let you know how it goes.

ramos7, I know what you mean. Especially, the older body. Big and sexy! lol

Deltapower, thanks!
Old May 12th, 2009, 01:50 PM

Does anyone know how to replace the torque converter clutch lock up solenoid? I have pick-a-part my Hanyes manual with no luck. Does anyone have the part # for the TCC up solenoid? I'm trying to plan ahead just in case the connection of the TV cable doesn't work.

THANKS!!!
Old May 12th, 2009, 02:11 PM

I dont know what year they first started using that setup...82,83??....To replace the solenoid you drop the trans pan and follow the wires to the solenoid....its very easy...only a bolt or two.
Old May 12th, 2009, 02:19 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Oldsmaniac
I dont know what year they first started using that setup...82,83??....To replace the solenoid you drop the trans pan and follow the wires to the solenoid....its very easy...only a bolt or two.
X2. It's pretty obvious when you get the pan off. Also, throw away the Haynes and get a factory Chassis Service Manual.
Old May 12th, 2009, 03:40 PM

Now where can I find one to buy? I've tried the general sites... NAPA and so on, but no luck. Also joe where can I find a Chassis Service Manual.

I'm starting to sound needy...
Old May 13th, 2009, 05:17 AM

Welcome to the site! I have two Olds and one Caddy...

It does sound like the tranny is upshifting too soon.
Does your 82 Olds have an overdrive tranny? I was thinking the OD's (200R4) came out in '85... If it does not, then you most likely have the TH200...
Old May 13th, 2009, 05:28 AM
Past Administrator

Welcome to CO caddy guy.
Old May 13th, 2009, 06:51 AM
Old(s) Fart

Now where can I find one to buy? I've tried the general sites... NAPA and so on, but no luck. Also joe where can I find a Chassis Service Manual.

I'm starting to sound needy...
That's why we're here. I find CSMs either at swap meets or ebay. There are vendors who sell reprints or CD versions, but for my money I'll take a good original any day.
Old May 13th, 2009, 08:35 AM

Lady n Rob - The new engine is a 85 to 87 due to the 7A heads, but the tranny is originial to the car, so its an 82 tranny. That is excately what it feels like and sounds like. Any ideas?

Oldsguy - Thanks.

joe - Understandable. I have an original vacuum diagram for my 79 CDV and boy has that made my life easier. I'll be on the look out for one from now on. Thanks.
Old May 14th, 2009, 09:03 PM

Angry

So... I connected the TV cable and the "doggin" has continued... Well, the next step is to replace the torque converter clutch lock up solenoid. Does anyone know the part number? I'm on the hunt for one, so if anyone has one or know where I can get one please share.Thanks!
Old May 24th, 2009, 09:45 AM

There's just something about Oldsmobiles...while they were very much like any other GM car...they had something special about them. Olds was probably the most innovative of the siblings and their cars stood out in my opinion. I fell in love with them at a young age...and I'm still in love! (Caddy's are sweet too)
Old May 24th, 2009, 04:54 PM

WELCOME!
Old June 9th, 2009, 03:51 PM

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome!!!
Old June 10th, 2009, 09:22 AM
ya'll come back now....

welcome to the site....
hope you find what you are looking for, this is the best site for it...

danielle..
Old June 16th, 2009, 12:57 PM

Welcome to the site.