The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Brand new here.

Search this Thread

Old March 30th, 2013, 09:42 AM

Brand new here.

Hello from CT. I'm new to the site. I have a 70 Cutlass S, with a 455. I've owned the car for over 35 years but it now needs a total restoration due to extensive damages it sustained when it was stolen from my garage a few years ago. The thieves had the entire car dismantled when it was finally found. The restoration will begin shortly....
Old March 30th, 2013, 09:51 AM
Lansing built

Welcome to C.O. bummer about the stolen rig, but at least you got it back!
Good luck with the resto. and post pics of your progress when time allows.

Pat
Old March 30th, 2013, 09:51 AM
Administrator

Sad story Bill, Welcome.
Old March 30th, 2013, 09:57 AM

My heart sank when I got the phone call from a neighbor saying that he just saw 2 flatness pulling out of my yard with a car on each one.....the other car, a 74 Corvette I got back a week later with only minor damages. The Cutlass took a month to find. I post pictures when the restoration begins.
Old March 30th, 2013, 11:22 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Welcome aboard Bill.
Sorry that you got targeted and had a wonderful car stolen. Very glad you got it back even if in pieces. Lucky it was found before it was totally parted and lost forever.

Post pics of your work as you go.
Old March 30th, 2013, 11:58 AM

Welcome to the forum , brighter days ahead.
Old March 30th, 2013, 12:03 PM

Thanks for the warm welcome. How do I add a photo along with a list of cars I own like so many of you do?
Old March 30th, 2013, 12:10 PM

Thanks AllanR, when the police called a week later to tell me they located one of my cars he said well at least you'll get the Corvette back. I told him that was nice but its my Olds that's much more important to me. I told him I wanted back even if if was in a cube.....thankfully it wasn't but its gonna be a long road to get it back on the road......fortunately Fusick is pretty close to where I live so I guess I'm gonna become good friends with them in the near future.
Old March 30th, 2013, 12:19 PM
car guy

welcome to the site Bill
Old March 30th, 2013, 12:23 PM

Welcome aboard
Old March 30th, 2013, 12:37 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Cutlass Bill
Thanks for the warm welcome. How do I add a photo along with a list of cars I own like so many of you do?
Bill,
Adding a picture and signature line is done in the User CP at the top of the page. Once you clik that, go to the "settings and Options' section. The little pic (oldsmobile service) under my name is called an 'avatar'. Insert one of your own choice under your name.

The profile pic is something that visitors to your page will see. If you go to my profile, you'll see it's my car being fitted with it's new 3:42 axle I restored last year. If you clik ANY user's underlined site name you will have options listed - including 'view public profile'.

The signature line you can put a listing of the cars you own.

Here's one way to post pics on this site; it's really not hard:

* clik the 'go advanced' tab
* Press the icon that looks like a paper clip; and A 'Manage Attachments' box will appear
* Choose (navigate on your computer to where the pics are stored) and hit 'open'. repeat for all 5 pics.
* Hit 'upload'. It may take a bit of time depending on your pic resolution. If you have ultra high res, you will have to 'resize' them with your picture editor to a 1024X768 size or smaller for the C.O. server to accept them.
* Close the "manage attachments' box.
* Preview your post and the images will be at the bottom
* Hit 'submit post' and the thread will have the images installed at the bottom. Unfortunately you can only do 5 pics at a time this way.

If you have the pics hosted on another web server?
* Copy the IMG url and Press the icon that looks like an envelope with mountains on it. Paste the URL into that box and hit 'ok'. You can install up to 20 images this way.
* Be sure to preview your work.
* Make sure the images don't carry on across the page, stack them for easier viewing.

If you run into any problems, send me a PM and I'll help you out.
Old March 30th, 2013, 12:48 PM

Boy, Allan is one fast typer. I guess he get's alot practice when he's snowed in for 6 months. Thanks pal
Old March 30th, 2013, 12:55 PM

Thanks....
Old March 30th, 2013, 01:53 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Boy, Allan is one fast typer. I guess he get's alot practice when he's snowed in for 6 months. Thanks pal
LOL Jim. Yup, being a snow bear gives me time to play with the puter. But I'm not that fast. I have that set of pic instructions saved as a word .doc I can quickly copy/paste here.

BTW, it's been 45-50 here now for the last 4 days so 'de sno is startin ta melt an we gots roads agin!"
Old March 30th, 2013, 01:55 PM

Same here. Warm last few days has melted away almost all the snow. The cruise nights begin in a few weeks...can't wait.....
Old March 30th, 2013, 02:18 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Bill, I see you got the signature vehicles done. 77 Nova Concours? I remember when that was new!! Friend of mine graduated from the RCMP that year and one of his buddies parents bought one for him as a grad present. It was the 'brougham' 2 door with the padded vinyl half roof and rallye wheels. Looked really impressive. IIRC it was a white vinyl and red paint. Had that fancy hood ornament too!

You can also add your location under the avatar so we know where you hail from.
Old March 30th, 2013, 03:51 PM

Nice, my Concours is a very rare optioned car. It's a 2 door hatchback that came to me from the original owners family after he past away. The Nova was a garage kept Sunday car since new. It only had a spot of rot about the size of a dollar Bill when I got it. I removed the thick Concours side molding, and the hood ornament. It now sits on 15x8 corvette rally wheels and has a small block 400 with a comp thumper cam. It's the original Firethorn Red, with red pearl over it with Firethorn interior.....ohh and a 150hp NOS boost.
Old March 30th, 2013, 04:55 PM
Just an Olds Guy

That's a Nova I wouldn't argue with. I remember Firethorn - really pretty color. We had a 76 Malibu Classic Sedan that color. First car my Dad ever bought with AC, PW &PDL, rallye wheels etc.