The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Another newbie from San Diego

Search this Thread

Old January 21st, 2011, 01:02 PM
Dan P.

Another newbie from San Diego

Hello world... I'm Dan, a long time Olds fan.

Back in the early 80's, I was sporting around in a 68 Delmont Convertible. In fact, I took my girlfriend (who is now my wife of 25 years) to her senior prom in it. Fast forward a quarter century and here I am with two boys (10 and 8). I've been looking for a new project car for the last couple of years and only found cars that didn't interest me, were too expensive or too beat-up. Then as luck would have it, I just stumbled on to a 67 Delmont convertable. It's now in my garage. The drive train is SOLID but the interier and body need a lot of work. That's OK though, I've given myself seven years to complete the car. That's when my oldest boy will need a sharp ride to take his date to the prom... just like his old man.

Looking forward to chatting with you all and picking your brains about hidden stashes of Delmont body parts.
Old January 21st, 2011, 01:07 PM

Welcome aboard, Post some pictures for us. May'be you start should a thread in the Restoration section so we can follow along as you restore your project.

Last edited by bulldog; January 21st, 2011 at 02:08 PM.
Old January 21st, 2011, 01:15 PM

Welcome to CO, Dan P! You are going to get your son(s) involved in the restoration, aren't you? Great project for you all. Look forward to seeing pictures, and progress.
Old January 21st, 2011, 01:17 PM

Welcome

Welcome aboard

Glad you joined up.
Old January 21st, 2011, 01:20 PM
Cutlass Lover

Welcome to our site! My guys here are the best and will help you in any way! Congrats on your find!!
Old January 21st, 2011, 01:51 PM
Dan P.

Aron, you bet I'm gonna get them to help out. That's one of the major reasons I started this project. I want to teach them how to turn a wrench, adjust the timing, file some points... all the things they wont be able to do when they buy a 2015 soulless box with wheels.
Old January 21st, 2011, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by FSTGeek
hidden stashes of Delmont body parts.
The short answer is, there aren't any. But you were probably asking that question rhetorically, anyway. I have a '67 Delta 88, and things for these cars do turn up on ebay all the time, but body parts in general most likely are going to have to come from other '67 Delmonts or maybe Deltas.

Not everything is interchangeable, though. For example, the grilles are entirely different between the '67 Delmont and the '67 Delta. The front bumpers are different, too, because the Delmont has the turn signals in cutouts in the bumper while the Delta has them in the grille between the headlights. The rear bumpers look like they do interchange.

But the rear bumper of the Delta 88 Custom, which was new for '67, doesn't interchange with either the standard Delta nor the Delmont as the Custom had a second set of taillights mounted IN the bumper along with the ones on either side of the trunk lid. The standard Delta and the Delmont have only the back-up lights in the rear bumper, on either side of the license plate.
Old January 21st, 2011, 04:20 PM
GM Enthusiast

Welcome to the forum Dan. Great story, definitely post pictures when you can.
Old January 21st, 2011, 06:50 PM
Dan P.

Unhappy

Originally Posted by jaunty75
The short answer is, there aren't any. But you were probably asking that question rhetorically, anyway.
Thanks jaunty75. I have been checking around and came to realize that there isn't anyone out there making replacement parts but... as they say, it never hurts to ask.
Old January 21st, 2011, 08:32 PM
Past Administrator

Welcome to CO Dan, glad you are with us.