The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Another Cdn Newbie

Search this Thread

Old October 14th, 2010, 10:52 AM

Another Cdn Newbie

Hello all,

I am a newbie to the Cutlass world - but my Father in law left me his 72 Cutlass (2 Dr Coupe) - he always said Supreme - but I am not convinced of that. He was in the process of restoring (and most of it is done although I may re-do some of it b/c I think it looks like it needs it).

In any event I am also very new to the car restoration process - but I want to finish the project and My wife is very excited about it.

So newbie question #1

it has a 2bbl carb on it and I would like to swap it out to put in a 4bbl. I want this thing to sound mean and have lots of pickup and go once all done. He would have wanted it that way and had talked about the carb swap. I am looking at a Holly 600 dbl pumper - it is a 4 bbl carb. Is it too much for the 350 rocket that is in there? I also will have to swap out the intake and so I want to know if the factory intake for the 4bbl would be sufficient or if I need to go with a higher performance on, e.g., eldebrock HP intake??

Newbie Q#2

It currently has an automatic (off the steering column) but I would like to either put in an automatic on the floor (hurst like shifter) or even moreso a standard tranny.

Is there any benefit to either and how much work is it to do?

Thanks in advance, for all the help!

Lou
Old October 14th, 2010, 12:59 PM
Cutlass Lover

Welcome to our site! I love the 72 Cutlass Supreme, as you can tell, lol!! We like pics if you have any to post! My guys here are the best and will be glad to answer your questions and help ya out!
Old October 14th, 2010, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by lvelocci
he always said Supreme - but I am not convinced of that.
What the vehicle's VIN? The second character will tell you. It should be a B, F, G, or J.

B = F-85 (lowest-end model, not a Cutlass)
F = Cutlass Hardtop
G = Cutlass
J = Cutlass Supreme

So if the second character is a J, you have a Supreme. If it's not, you don't.
Old October 14th, 2010, 06:38 PM

Welcome to CO.
Old October 15th, 2010, 04:48 AM

Thanks - it is a Cutlass Hardtop - much appreciated!

With that in mind - any thoughts on the carb / tranny issue?
Old October 15th, 2010, 05:02 AM
Past Administrator

Welcome to CO. You can find stock quadrajet carburetors and intake manifolds for your engine at junk yards, swap meets, craigslist, ebay, etc. Or you can just purchase an aftermarket setup that would probably cost you more initially but it would be nice a shiny and new, your choice. Changing to an aftermarket floor shifter isn't too hard, finding an original console floor shifter will be more difficult but probably a little easier to install as it has been designed to fit but be prepared to pay some big bucks. Going to a manual transmission is going to be the most difficult but we have members that could help you.
Old October 15th, 2010, 05:06 AM

Welcome

Welcome aboard

I would stick to q-jet if it were my car. Eiterh post here in parts wanted or check your local yards.
Old October 18th, 2010, 06:45 PM
wait.... what....

Welcome! Where in Canada are you located?
Old October 18th, 2010, 07:04 PM
olds..older..oldest

Good to have you with us! This site has ALL the Olds resto/conversion info you'll ever need. I'm up in Barrie , Ont., and there's lottsa other CANUCKS scattered around...let us know where you are and what you need .Start checking out the local car clubs , swap meets and cruise nights and ask for help. All thethings you want to do to that hardtop are possible...money , time and ability determine how fast that will happen .All the best , Derek
Old October 18th, 2010, 08:20 PM
GM Enthusiast

Welcome to CO! Glad to have you aboard.
Old October 19th, 2010, 05:40 AM

Thanks all

Hello,

I am originally from GTA (Toronto for non-Canadians) - but now live in Halifax NS.

I was very excited on the weekend as I got the engine running & the brakes are good on both sides of the front.

Found some small holes in the floor pans but otherwise no rust. Wondering if It is better to buy the pre-done floor pans or weld in sheet metal - thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Also if anyone knows of any swap meets in Atlantic Canada that would be great!