The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

alternator not charging

Search this Thread

Old October 18th, 2013, 02:22 PM

alternator not charging

help! i have a 68 cutlass with a 73 455 engine, the new alternator is not charging at all. It has an external regulator and a two prong connector with one black lead and one blue lead from the alternator. it is currently hooked up to the original blue and white leads from the alternator. Blue to blue and black to white, it does not charge in this wiring configuration, however if i switch the alternator connector wiring to black to blue and blue to white is starts charging. is it possible that the new connectors blue lead should not go to the blue original wire?

Thanks, a little confused
Old October 18th, 2013, 03:43 PM

Incompatible systems?
Your alternator [current one] small terminals like this
| |

or like this
-- --

??

the latter is more modern, and some small additional wire fiddling at the regulator is required to use the -- type on a 1968 car which came with || type.
Old October 18th, 2013, 03:54 PM

Octania, the current connector has two vertical terminals and an external regulator, i believe the white wire goes to the alternator light in the dash and the blue wire goes to the battery?
Old October 18th, 2013, 04:16 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by richkrueger
... i believe the white wire goes to the alternator light in the dash and the blue wire goes to the battery?
Not even close.

Do you have a wiring diagram? They can be very helpful.

The blue wire is the Field wire, and goes from the alternator field coil to the regulator F terminal.

The white wire is the Relay wire, and goes from the alternator to the regulator R terminal.

The red wire is the charging wire, and goes from the alternator to the regulator and the battery.

The Brown wire is the Light wire, and goes from the regulator L terminal to the indicator light (and to (+) when the ignition switch is on).

- Eric
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Alternator and Regulator.jpg (39.5 KB, 50 views)
Old October 18th, 2013, 04:31 PM

thanks, i will check that in the morning, hopefully the wires aren't crossed since they have been cut and re-connected in the past.