The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Air Conditioner Questions

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2015, 02:59 PM

Air Conditioner Questions

I wish to install an air conditioner on my '70 442. It has never had one before, and was wondering if it was possible to somehow used the existing ductwork and install one from a factory car (ie. one scoured from a salvage yard), or will I need to purchase an aftermarket under dash unit?
Old May 22nd, 2015, 03:25 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Take a look at the Vintage Air or Old Air Products. They are a long way from the old under dash hang down AC units. Classic Auto Air is another one. If you get one from a salvage yard you are getting one that is over 40 years old.
Old May 22nd, 2015, 03:47 PM

As far as "can" you do it? Absolutely. Especially if you have a donor car to work and transfer all the parts from. There are a lot of small parts, brackets etc. that you will need to transfer. And the firewall cutout is different. And unless it is a working system, you'll need a new filter dryer, expansion tube and probably a new (rebuilt) compressor. I think a lot of it has to do with whether you want your car to look stock or if aftermarket look is acceptable.
Old May 22nd, 2015, 05:58 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I've done it.

It's not hard, so long as you don't mind removing the dash and most of the nose and cutting and patching the firewall, and so long as you have the donor car right next to yours in the driveway while you do it.

Welcome to ClassicOlds.

- Eric
Old May 23rd, 2015, 07:11 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by corpsman911
I wish to install an air conditioner on my '70 442. It has never had one before, and was wondering if it was possible to somehow used the existing ductwork and install one from a factory car (ie. one scoured from a salvage yard), or will I need to purchase an aftermarket under dash unit?
Welcome. It depends on what you mean by using the existing ductwork. In 1970, Olds used the same fresh air dash vents for A/C, but the ductwork under the dash was completely different. As Eric points out, you can retrofit a factory A/C setup, but it requires a lot of disassembly. You can also instal an aftermarket unit, either the old style under-dash unit or an integrated unit like the ones sold by Vintage Air. In any case you'll need to source the correct brackets to mount the compressor on your Olds motor. Also keep in mind the need to install a condenser as well as a larger radiator. Olds also used a different water pump on A/C cars. The control panel in the dash also needs to be changed. This is not a small job.
Old May 25th, 2015, 11:24 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

You might also need a heavier duty coolant radiator. The condensor will shroud the radiator, and will be wafting hot air over it when the air con is being used - most likely when ambient temperatures are high!.

Roger.
Old May 25th, 2015, 02:40 PM

Air Conditioning Question

Appreciate all the advice. Looks like the aftermarket is the only way practical.