The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

72 Cutty in San Diego

Search this Thread

Old August 1st, 2011, 12:16 PM

72 Cutty in San Diego

New to the forum although I have been browsing for awhile. If anyone is in SD or SoCal drop me a line. Would love to ride in somebody's 72 to see how mine measures up. She needs some work but she is coming along nicely.

Any shop recommendations in SD also appreciated.

Thanks
Old August 1st, 2011, 12:34 PM
delete

As a local, what is your take on SD classic cars? From the rest of the country we always here about how spotless they are. What do you think? Some pics of yours would be cool.
Old August 1st, 2011, 02:06 PM

Welcome to the forum.
Old August 1st, 2011, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by droptopron
As a local, what is your take on SD classic cars? From the rest of the country we always here about how spotless they are. What do you think? Some pics of yours would be cool.
Being on the West coast also I can honestly say that we do have cars that are rusted out as well but being that we don't get snow or have to worry about salt on the roads are cars usually are in fairer condition than the cars to the east of us. I have actually bought a few Oldsmobile's from new York and the Midwest and boy did I regret when that semi rolled up. HaHa.......
Old August 1st, 2011, 02:34 PM
1968 442 restoration

Welcome to CO from a fellow San Diegan! I do not currently have a shop but do work out of my house or can come to you if you need help with something. I also have friends that do everything I don't. Many of them do have shops. Regardless I would be happy to talk to someone else in SD. I am in p
Point Loma. Where are you?

Chris
Old August 1st, 2011, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by getawaycar
Welcome to CO from a fellow San Diegan! I do not currently have a shop but do work out of my house or can come to you if you need help with something. I also have friends that do everything I don't. Many of them do have shops. Regardless I would be happy to talk to someone else in SD. I am in p

Chris
I am in the North Park section. I'm looking for some quality shops to go to after I screw up a project! I'll post some photos tonight.
Old August 1st, 2011, 03:59 PM

Welcome to CO

Glad to have another member from the left coast on site. Enjoy
Old August 1st, 2011, 06:37 PM
Past Administrator

welcome to CO.
Old August 3rd, 2011, 12:01 PM

Pcitures as requested

Her name is Francine and she is my first project car. My dad had pretty much the same model until I came along and then he got rid of it for something more sensible.

She needs work. She wanders all over the road like a 6 month old hound dog, her power windows are finicky, she rattles like bolts in a blender, and I need to get the cigarette lighter fixed! Otherwise body is solid and rust free and the interior is in surprisingly good shape.

If anyone knows of a good suspension shop in SoCal/San Diego so I can have her suspension/steering checked out that would be great.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC07731.JPG (24.5 KB, 53 views)
DSC07735.JPG (42.0 KB, 52 views)
DSC07771.JPG (50.5 KB, 174 views)
DSC07801.JPG (45.0 KB, 41 views)
Old August 3rd, 2011, 12:31 PM
Cutlass Lover

Welcome to our site! Thanks for the pics. She looks nice! Love the clean engine, lol, but ya gotta get some decals for that air cleaner!!!
Old August 3rd, 2011, 12:33 PM

Welcome aboard
Old August 3rd, 2011, 12:41 PM
GM Enthusiast

Welcome to the forum. Looks like a nice ride and a great starting point.

Due to the age of these cars, most of the suspension bushings, it they have not been replaced by now, are rotted out. Look at the sway bar end links, front and rear suspension pivot points, etc, if they are cracked they will cause the condition you described.

The steering box could be worn out or out of adjustment too. If you need to replace it, do a search on this forum for "Grand Cherokee Steering" and you will find posts on how to substantially upgrade your steering feel and tightness for not much money, and still keep it looking stock.
Old August 3rd, 2011, 12:43 PM

That is a good looking cutlass.
Old August 3rd, 2011, 06:51 PM
Olds Nut

nice cutty, welcome to CO
Old August 3rd, 2011, 06:58 PM

Nice ride...72's rock! After all, they are the 75th Anniversary Olds! Used to live in SOCAL...really miss the Margaritas in Old Town! Welcome and keep us posted on your progress.
Old August 3rd, 2011, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by cutlassgal
Welcome to our site! Thanks for the pics. She looks nice! Love the clean engine, lol, but ya gotta get some decals for that air cleaner!!!
Yeah, some engine dress up is on my list. It's looking a little bare
Old August 3rd, 2011, 07:25 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Cutty72
Yeah, some engine dress up is on my list. It's looking a little bare

The engine decals can be purchased at a lot of aftermarket places. I prefer Dr. Decal - they have great service, prices and answers to questions. So she's a 2bbl. Are you having trouble with the fuel filter? Looks like you have an extra in line one there. You have a very nice looking 72 Cutlass Supreme project car. Hows the interior?

re: wandering and wobble. Sounds like your ball joints, possibly the idler/pitman arms may need replacing. It could also be a faulty power steering assbly. Do you get a lot of play in the steering at low speed? Get the suspension checked out. Sorry I don't know Callyfornya that well or I'd be able to recommend something. Gotta be someone down there who knows a good mechanic or shop.
Old August 4th, 2011, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R

The engine decals can be purchased at a lot of aftermarket places. I prefer Dr. Decal - they have great service, prices and answers to questions. So she's a 2bbl. Are you having trouble with the fuel filter? Looks like you have an extra in line one there. You have a very nice looking 72 Cutlass Supreme project car. Hows the interior?

re: wandering and wobble. Sounds like your ball joints, possibly the idler/pitman arms may need replacing. It could also be a faulty power steering assbly. Do you get a lot of play in the steering at low speed? Get the suspension checked out. Sorry I don't know Callyfornya that well or I'd be able to recommend something. Gotta be someone down there who knows a good mechanic or shop.
The interior is in pretty good shape. Seats are fine except for the passenger seat release button is jammed so the seat just flops forward. Ash tray cover is super loose, lights out on the speedometer and fuel gauge doesn't work. Otherwise it's clean. I'll be taking the door panels off to tighten up the power windows which have a death rattle.

Not sure about the fuel line, my knowledge about motors is somewhere between nothing and nada. Starting to learn by reading the forums.
Old August 4th, 2011, 05:14 PM

passenger side mirror

is it just me or is the passenger side mirror completely useless. I have tried to manipulate it in every possible angle and just can't get it to where I can see well. I'm average height, the seat is in a normal position but for the life of me I can't get the damn mirror adjusted so I can change lanes comfortably.

Oh well, I guess I will have to do something novel like turn my head and look.
Old August 4th, 2011, 05:57 PM

im from carlsbad. I just moved here about two years ago and I dont know of any legit shops unfortunately. its good to know their are other people in San Diego county on this website
Old August 4th, 2011, 06:02 PM
Just an Olds Guy

The interior is in pretty good shape. Seats are fine except for the passenger seat release button is jammed so the seat just flops forward. Ash tray cover is super loose, lights out on the speedometer and fuel gauge doesn't work. Otherwise it's clean. I'll be taking the door panels off to tighten up the power windows which have a death rattle.

Not sure about the fuel line, my knowledge about motors is somewhere between nothing and nada. Starting to learn by reading the forums.
Sounds like the spring on the seat lock is busted or has fallen off. The ash tray cover may be missing the 2 springs used to secure it properly. That's usually why the A.T. is so loose. Speedo is really easy to fix the burnt out lights. They are 194's. Take off the dash trim (2 screws) and undo the 3 speedo bolts. There's a spring clip holding the speedo cable on. Slide it forward and gently take off the cable from the speedo head. Now you have access to the lights. Turn the burnt out lamp holder to the left till it stops, then lift out. Easy as pie. Reverse the process to replace. If your car has a clock delete, take it out and you'll have more room to work with taking off the speedo cable.
Rattling PW switches? You might find the inside trim ring is loose or the securing screws have come out. Should be easy fix though. Have you taken one of these doors apart before?
Fuel gage not working could be just a bad ground on back of gage, or not properly hooked up. Pull the pigtail off and look for corrosion. Clean with electrical contact cleaner (pigtail and pins). See if that works for starters.

is it just me or is the passenger side mirror completely useless. I have tried to manipulate it in every possible angle and just can't get it to where I can see well. I'm average height, the seat is in a normal position but for the life of me I can't get the damn mirror adjusted so I can change lanes comfortably.

Oh well, I guess I will have to do something novel like turn my head and look.
It's you.
My passenger side mirror gives really good visibility. But then, I also changed the glass so it wasn't flat, I put in the wide angle stuff like newer cars. Makes a HUGE difference. But you're right. Normal glass does limit your sightline. With all the windows down, that car has incredible visibility. I never use just the mirror to check, I always do a blind spot check. Surprising how many times that has saved my a$$.
Old August 5th, 2011, 07:58 AM

Smile

Originally Posted by Allan R
Sounds like the spring on the seat lock is busted or has fallen off. The ash tray cover may be missing the 2 springs used to secure it properly. That's usually why the A.T. is so loose. Speedo is really easy to fix the burnt out lights. They are 194's. Take off the dash trim (2 screws) and undo the 3 speedo bolts. There's a spring clip holding the speedo cable on. Slide it forward and gently take off the cable from the speedo head. Now you have access to the lights. Turn the burnt out lamp holder to the left till it stops, then lift out. Easy as pie. Reverse the process to replace. If your car has a clock delete, take it out and you'll have more room to work with taking off the speedo cable.
Rattling PW switches? You might find the inside trim ring is loose or the securing screws have come out. Should be easy fix though. Have you taken one of these doors apart before?
Fuel gage not working could be just a bad ground on back of gage, or not properly hooked up. Pull the pigtail off and look for corrosion. Clean with electrical contact cleaner (pigtail and pins). See if that works for starters.

It's you.
My passenger side mirror gives really good visibility. But then, I also changed the glass so it wasn't flat, I put in the wide angle stuff like newer cars. Makes a HUGE difference. But you're right. Normal glass does limit your sightline. With all the windows down, that car has incredible visibility. I never use just the mirror to check, I always do a blind spot check. Surprising how many times that has saved my a$$.
Muchas gracias! I have some weekend projects now. And it's the windows that are rattling, not the switches. I will also order some convex mirrors - great idea! In the meantime I'll just turn my head. Being a Californian that is a novel concept - to look before your turn
Old August 31st, 2011, 08:45 AM

Improving handling/ride

Wanted to thank everyone for the advice - have made some progress on the car - lights working, windows not rattling and power windows functioning properly.

Now for the fun stuff. I just purchased MOOG Springs and KYB Shocks from Rock Auto. My springs are sagging and I want to firm up the ride some.

My question is while I have the car up in the air and working on replacing shocks/springs are there any other relatively low cost/big impact changes I can do that are reasonably easy? And are there any materials (bolts for instance) that I should purchase before getting the project started? I'm a novice, first time changing springs and shocks!

Should I swap out:
Bushings?
Sway bar?
Spring Insulator? (dumb question - do I need to buy a new one for the springs?)

I plan on taking lots of pictures and will post when project is complete

Thanks!
Old September 6th, 2011, 03:09 PM

Update on the project.

First thanks to everyone for the post and especially some of the old posts on replacing rear shocks and springs - they were a huge help and made the project (almost) easy.

She now has Moog CC501 Variable Rate Springs and KYB Gas Adjust shocks in the rear. They replaced what were probably the original springs and a pair of red, no brand name shocks with Made in Mexico stamped on them. Things out back have improved dramatically. Ride height increased a measured 3.25 inches - the rear was really sagging to the point I had to bend over to put a key in the trunk lock (I'm 5'9"). Vertical ride motions have diminished greatly - the axle doesn't seem to be moving around as much. There is still some wiggle back there - especially side-to-side. Could be worn bushings.

I have those same POS shocks (I was able to compress with only modest effort) on the front. Going to install the new front shocks this week but hold off on the springs (a man has GOT to know his limitations - Dirty Harry). A fellow member is local and has been a huge help for the projects I'm too much of a wuss to tackle.

So much to do...
Old September 6th, 2011, 08:04 PM
1968 442 restoration

Has anybody added a rear sway bar to a 72 cutlass? Did it make a big difference in the way the car handled? Were the mounting holes already there or was much modification necessary? Any experience will be helpful. Thanks,

Chris
Old September 6th, 2011, 08:34 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Has anybody added a rear sway bar to a 72 cutlass? Did it make a big difference in the way the car handled? Were the mounting holes already there or was much modification necessary? Any experience will be helpful. Thanks, Chris
It's on my list of things to do. I have the FE2 Components waiting to go in. sway bar, mounting kit, boxed lower rear control arms and axle braces. Just need to put the car up and install. Maybe when I'm doing the rear brakes next week?

But to answer in advance, Yes the rear sway bar should firm up your ride especially in cornering. Make sure you get the right diameter sway bar.. There are several on the market.
Old September 6th, 2011, 09:05 PM

What diameter is ideal? Not looking for a canyon carver but also don't want her to wallow and weave on on ramps.
Old September 11th, 2011, 08:41 PM

What's up man. I'm in the SD area also. Not too far away from you. I got a maroon 4 door 68 Cutlass Supreme. Maybe you've seen me cruising? I've seen a super nice orange/brown 68 or 69 Cutlass Supreme in Mira Mesa. I've also seen a perfect yellow 442 in the same area parked at an auto shop on Mira Mar Blvd. Any of these belong to any of you guys?

We should get all the locals together for a ride sometime. This is me.
Attached Images
cutlassback.jpg (94.9 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by yeahbuddy; September 11th, 2011 at 09:05 PM.
Old September 11th, 2011, 09:10 PM

Chris
Maybe I could pay you to help me get some stuff installed. I have parts that are just sitting because of my lack of knowledge and space. Doh. I usually pay a local shop when I need things installed or repaired. I'd rather give my money to someone who has the same year car as I do.
Old September 11th, 2011, 09:14 PM
1968 442 restoration

I would be honored to give you a hand. What do you need to install?

Chris
Old September 11th, 2011, 09:56 PM

I would be honored to give you a hand. What do you need to install?

Chris
Hey Chris, I have an Edelbrock 3711 intake and 1406 carb I need to install. Also going to pick up an eletronic ignition setup soon. Eventually a set of headers...maybe try to get the right power windows to open. Haha.

I got the car two years ago. I needed a car and was going through rough times and it kinda fell into my lap. It has its share of minor problems. I come from a family of skilled mechanics but never got the opportunity or time to learn so that is my disadvantage. I know how things operate I just dont have the confidence to tackle some stuff alone without a garage or backup transportation. Anyway, like I said I was gonna pay a shop I usually go to to get the carb/intake and HEI installed but if you're interested ..Id pay you.
Old September 11th, 2011, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by projectheaven
That is a good looking cutlass.

Yo Will..I watch all your videos. Waiting for the Grand National to make its way down but the list. Stay up!!
Old September 12th, 2011, 07:38 AM
1968 442 restoration

Send me a PM with your contact info and we can make this happen.

Chris
Old September 12th, 2011, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by yeahbuddy
Yo Will..I watch all your videos. Waiting for the Grand National to make its way down but the list. Stay up!!
Getawaycar had done work on my car and he is top notch. Knowledgeable, helpful and just knows a lot about cars. I highly recommend his work.

BTW - I live in North Park right by the Zoo. I work in Sorrento Valley so I'm not far from Mira Mesa. I have the Cutty today at work. Be happy to stop by one day after work to check out your ride.

Don
Old September 12th, 2011, 10:12 AM
1968 442 restoration

Thanks for the kind words Don. It means a lot to me. You are a pleasure to work with as well. I look forward to our next project!

Chris
Old September 12th, 2011, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by yeahbuddy
Maybe I could pay you to help me get some stuff installed. I have parts that are just sitting because of my lack of knowledge and space. Doh. I usually pay a local shop when I need things installed or repaired. I'd rather give my money to someone who has the same year car as I do.
I live in North County SD. Just curious but what shop do you use? I dont know anyone down here that works on olds.
Old September 12th, 2011, 10:45 AM

Getawaycar had done work on my car and he is top notch. Knowledgeable, helpful and just knows a lot about cars. I highly recommend his work.

BTW - I live in North Park right by the Zoo. I work in Sorrento Valley so I'm not far from Mira Mesa. I have the Cutty today at work. Be happy to stop by one day after work to check out your ride.

Don
Nice man! I work in Mira Mesa and I drive my car daily. I usually am in MM until 5:30-6 on the weekdays. I drive the car all over that area. I'd definitely like to check out your car. Maybe sometime this or next week. Cheers.
Old September 12th, 2011, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by GreekDog
I live in North County SD. Just curious but what shop do you use? I dont know anyone down here that works on olds.
I've been taking my car to a shop called A&S Auto on Rosecrans St. He's a good guy and has a really clean shop. Always has more cars than space which is a good sign. When I got the car I was looking around for someone to redo all four drum brakes with my own parts and I found his shop. He has his own personal collection of classic cars but works on all types. I trust him enough to take him my car but at the same time my car isn't quite a jaw-dropper. Did my brakes, shocks, axles, and gauges there with no problems.
Old September 12th, 2011, 10:58 AM
1968 442 restoration

Greekdog, what kind of work do you need? I grew up in Carlsbad and Encinitas. I would be happy to come up to help you with your car too. If you want to take it to a shop I can probably recommend somebody based on what work you need done. A lot of shops specialize in one thing or another.

Chris
Old September 12th, 2011, 10:59 AM
1968 442 restoration

That's funny, I live right off Rosecrans.

Chris

Quick Reply: 72 Cutty in San Diego