The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

72 convertible top

Search this Thread

Old January 7th, 2013, 12:16 PM

72 convertible top

Hello, I have a 72 convertible, and the fuse seems to overheat, and then power top motor quits. Once it cools, it will run again for a few seconds.

Assuming it's the fuse, where can I get a new one. If not the fuse, then what?

Thanks
Old January 7th, 2013, 01:32 PM
delete

A fuse either pops or they don't. They don't come back to life. If its an overheating problem its most likely in the motor.
Old January 7th, 2013, 01:50 PM
'72 Supreme vert (Mango)

I have a very similar condition with my '72 top motor. On the bench, the motor (seems to) spin fine, but when I install it, it dies once it is heavily loaded. Wait a minute or so - and it will run for a few seconds, then quit. I've been tryign to avoid paying $350 for a new one. I've torn that thing apart 10 times over as many years trying to fix it. Does anyone offer a rebuild kit (with instructions?) Can you rebuild that kind of motor or does it eventually just die? I've looked in the service manual and can't find a breakdown of the motor. With the motor apart, what are some things to look for (brushes, windings, etc.) Are there any places in the circuit upstream of the motor to look? Haven't tested the switch, but for some reason I don't think that's the problem.
Old January 7th, 2013, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by adis
I have a very similar condition with my '72 top motor. On the bench, the motor (seems to) spin fine, but when I install it, it dies once it is heavily loaded. Wait a minute or so - and it will run for a few seconds, then quit. I've been tryign to avoid paying $350 for a new one. I've torn that thing apart 10 times over as many years trying to fix it. Does anyone offer a rebuild kit (with instructions?) Can you rebuild that kind of motor or does it eventually just die? I've looked in the service manual and can't find a breakdown of the motor. With the motor apart, what are some things to look for (brushes, windings, etc.) Are there any places in the circuit upstream of the motor to look? Haven't tested the switch, but for some reason I don't think that's the problem.
There's a limited breakdown of the top motor in the Fisher Body service manual. I tried several times to rebuild mine. It was dragging and cutting out like yours A friend of mine who knows about electric motors looked at it when I had it apart the last time and said there's a thermal limiting switch inside the motor down where the brushes contact the armature. I gave up and bought a new one - just got it today delivered for about 250.00
Old January 7th, 2013, 06:28 PM

Probably the circuit breaker. Not sure about the 72s but likely that same setup as my 69. There's a breaker mounted on the firewall near the brake cylinder booster. It will cut out when it overloads then reset when it cools. You can try replacing it but I would bet the top motor is just drawing more current due to old wiring or old motor or maybe something binding up on the top frame. Maybe some lube around top frame might help too.
Old January 16th, 2013, 11:10 AM
'72 Supreme vert (Mango)

Thanks guys. I'll lube the top frame joints, and check the breaker. Beob, any info on what this breaker looks like? don't know why I'm so adamant about not getting a new motor - I guess I just figured that it seemed like a rebuildable component; that and I'm used to opening my top by hand now anyway...
Old January 16th, 2013, 02:09 PM

On my 75 Delta it wat the relay that was the issue. Do the lube job and change the relay (got one for $40 and see if that helps)
Old January 17th, 2013, 03:24 AM

The circuit breaker is behind the brake booster towards the fender and it has a rubber boot over it with wires coming out on either end... when you carefully pry the boot to one side you WILL see two studs with nuts holding the wires to the breaker...
Old January 17th, 2013, 04:04 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by White Spyder
On my 75 Delta it wat the relay that was the issue. Do the lube job and change the relay (got one for $40 and see if that helps)
There is no relay on the A-body tops.

The B-body top mechanism is completely different from the A-body mechanism.

- Eric