The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

'70 Cutlass interior questions

Search this Thread

Old September 2nd, 2009, 06:23 PM
Classic GM Fan

Red face '70 Cutlass interior questions

Hi guys, this is my first post here. I wish I'd found this site a few years ago. Next week I start a two week vacation and will start replacing the interior of my 1970 Cutlass Supreme convertible. I have auto/console w/buckets and have a couple of questions:

Shifter--It looks like I need to remove the t-grip on the auto shifter to get the console and lens off? Can somebody give me detailed instructions how to do that?

Dash pad--I need to remove my dash pad to dye it. How do I do that?

Many thanks for any help you can offer. I'll post some more info about my car and what I've done to it so far a little later. So far I can't edit my profile, I guess i need some more posts.
Old September 3rd, 2009, 06:28 AM

Dash Pad

I'm getting ready for work so I don't have time to seach for other threads on these topics. I know the dash removeal has been discussed before and I have pictures on my photobucket site of the different mounting points. You can go to the link and seach through, there's one series of photos for the 68-69 dash and another for the 70-72 dash. You will have to remove the whole dash assembly then remove the pad from it. That requires standing on your head and reaching up under the dash to the fastening points to remove the nuts. There are two press in studs, one on each end between the vents and the doors, try to pull those gently as they will easily break off. Also... remember to hold your tounge juuuuuuuuust right as you try to reach the really difficult mounting points

http://s90.photobucket.com/albums/k2...er_id=28547257
Old September 3rd, 2009, 08:01 PM
Classic GM Fan

Ooooh, man what did I let myself in for? Thanks for the link and all the great pictures. I remember on my '71 el camino it only takes like 7 screws to remove the dash pad. This looks like a real job.

thanks for the reply!

jp
Old September 4th, 2009, 01:31 PM
Classic GM Fan

Shifter?

Any tips on the floor-mounted shifter? I need to remove the console for painting and new carpet, and the lens and seal need to be replaced. Is it only necessary to remove the T-grip? Is that difficult?

Thanks for any tips.
Old September 4th, 2009, 04:15 PM

Rotate the shifter ball counter clockwise, to remove. The shifter T comes out with a small roll tin under the T. Light tapping with a small allen wrench, nail, or pin punch and a small hammer will remove it.

Set the park brake, remove the two screws on the left and right bottom front of the console near the carpet. Next remove the console glove box swith and inserts by removing the six screws. Remove the screws that go through the console plastic base,under where the inserts were. Put your foot on the brake, and shifter in drive. Reach between the seats, and gently lift up on the bottom base of the console, until it's free of the shifter. Reach under the console, put the shifter in park, and disconnect the wire harness toward the front. Thats how I do it and mine came right out, don't force anything!!!!!
Old September 4th, 2009, 08:10 PM
Classic GM Fan

Thank you, that's a very complete and concise description of the process, exactly what I needed!

I'll get going on the interior over the next couple of weeks. The information you guys have shared will really help me out--thanks again.

JP