The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

70-72 Repro Fenders - What's the real deal on quality?

Search this Thread

Old September 13th, 2010, 06:02 PM

70-72 Repro Fenders - What's the real deal on quality?

Hi Guys,

Well....I finally dragged my beater 70 W30 up into the driveway to get her on the road. And like every Cutlass from that timeframe the bottom rear of the front fenders need attention. I've seen the patches they make and read a few posts saying they all come from one or two companies in China...and that the quality is bad....but no one ever elaborates specifically about what's bad? Are they even useable? And the reproduction full fenders (Goodmark?)....I've read they don't fit well. So how bad do they fit? How do people make them fit? What's the best way to repair 70-72 fenders? I realize 1970 fenders don't have the crush zone bumps along the top inner edge, but to get her back on the road I'd use the repop fenders if they fit.

So can anyone who has dealt with either the patch panels or the repro fenders give me the real scoop on these things???

Thanks in advance,
bob
Old September 13th, 2010, 06:13 PM
Past Administrator

I can't comment on the quality of the parts in question because I haven't ever used them but welcome to CO.
Old September 13th, 2010, 06:24 PM

welcome, i have not used any of the reproduction front finders or patches. you may be able to find used and nearly rust free ones for a fair price. i think the repops all have the bumps but not sure. if you find a set of rust free 70 only finders they will be pricey. i sold a rust free 70 only right finder when the economy was better for $800. if you don't want the bumps you may be able to find a set of 71/72 and cut the bottom off and fix yours.
Old September 13th, 2010, 07:15 PM

I have used the patch panels and would say the issue would be the lines are nowhere near as crisp as the factory fender. They come out fine with some work, the bigger issue for me is the brace on the back side of the fender, if it's intact the patch is pretty straight forward if rotted out they are not repopped and and have to be fabbed up. Can't comment on the repop fenders but if it were my w-30(wish I had one ya lucky dog) I'd work on your factory flat tops or try finding a set worth fixing if yours are too far gone, just my 2 cents, good luck with your project and welcome to the site.
Old September 13th, 2010, 07:23 PM

Third try without timing out so it will be short!

OE fenders considerably better than repops but repops are quite usable w/ some extra fudging around. OE is not w/o some horror stories but I have not experienced them (4 cars worth of NOS, used, repop). I found the rear edge is not formed well where it turns "into the jamb" Noticeable if you spot it or know it is there, but not obvious @ casual glance. Twice had to cut, reshape & weld rear edge of repop, mostly where that upper body line is (to the door) because it is a critical/tricky spot.

Patch panels generally all but useless, bad lines, contour & general shape. As EA noted - the brace is the truly important thing, if it is good, fabbing patch not too bad. If brace is gone, difficult to do well. WTH isn't someone making repop braces and for that matter why can't someone run off 500 left side rad sppt patch panels? 2 pieces so commonly needed & tough to fab nicely.

Lower door skins virtually useless.

Quarter Panels (convertible in my case-just finished a 72 442 for orig owner) - Repop rather inferior to OE. Lotta dickin around w/ repop to get only "acceptable" fit. OE all but jumped on the car like a dog goin for a ride! Used cheaters on blue car in sig & they were fine, repops weren't available back then.

Shameless plug, swear it is coincidence rather than motivation for posting above. I have a Right 71/2 NOS fender & Left Vert Qtr Pnl if there is anyone out there not in "resto dormancy" due to our economic recovery. Parts in CT - not a fire sale, but no rape crisis counseling will be needed either. PM Me.

Last edited by bccan; September 13th, 2010 at 07:50 PM.
Old September 13th, 2010, 07:29 PM

don't get me started, oh wait you did, I have repos on my car and all repos have the crumple zones on the inside lip so you can tell they are for 71/72's instead of 70's. I did not want to go with repos but the shop convinced me of that and then afterward said they wished they used the originals "would have been less effort" I was told (only to have thrown out my originals) I can send you some pics if you send me your email. They do look good but they had to tweak the front holes for the eyebrow molding and they needed to be rolled a bit at the back end to fit. Like others said I would first try finding original 70 fenders you will be happier in the end and in this economy I have seen very good prices for real fenders (under $200 for good used ones). Fortunately someone I have met through this site has some for me as I will save them and put them on down the road - I think part of the problem is I feel duped by the body shop.

Believe me I have seen a ton of 1970 cars with 71 fenders as there were a boat load of left over 71/72 NOS and very few 70s laying around. Just this weekend I was looking at a 70 442 that someone has owned for a few decades and he said the car was all original except for a partial repaint on a few body panels. We opened the hood and what do you know 71 fenders put on in the 80s. The good news is the repos are 350 - 400 and are brand spanking new, but they are a bit thinner, definitely lighter weight.