The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

69 S Convertible

Search this Thread

Old September 29th, 2009, 04:34 PM

69 S Convertible

Greetings. I'm looking hard at a 2-owner '69 Cutlass S convertible 350 V-8 w/auto and 49,000 original miles. White with light blue vinyl interior. It's complete, runs, and is in very good condition. Seller wants $14,500 but will take less so I might take the plunge and get it. Any idea what the market value is for it? Only major thing I have found so far is that the column shifter (auto) was replaced with a console and floor shift. Anyway, if I get it I will do a complete restoration. My uncle was an Olds dealer for many years and I still kick myself that I didn't hang on to the '66 F-85 DeLuxe 2 dr HT and the '72 Cutlass Supreme 2-dr HT I bought new from him. We retired guys tend to live in the past you know! Any suggestions about things I should look hard at in that model before I decide to buy would be appreciated
Old September 29th, 2009, 05:15 PM
Past Administrator

I cannot give you a good estimate on a fair price or things to check on the '69, my knowledge lies elsewhere but, we have a large cadre of '69 owners that will be able to help. You may get a hearty but weary welcome from Citcapp (Pat) too. Inside joke, I'll let him or Jamesbo share that with you when they post. Welcome to CO!
Old September 29th, 2009, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by Blackjack33
Greetings. I'm looking hard at a 2-owner '69 Cutlass S convertible 350 V-8 w/auto and 49,000 original miles. White with light blue vinyl interior. It's complete, runs, and is in very good condition. Seller wants $14,500 but will take less so I might take the plunge and get it. Any idea what the market value is for it?
The Old Cars Price Guide puts the value of a 1969 Cutlass S convertible in #3 condition, which is described as the condition of cars typically seen at car shows (a "20 footer"), at just under $10,000. In #2 condition, which is showroom new (#1 being "better than showroom new" and is reserved for cars that are not driven), the value is just over $15,000. I think that, if you buy this car and restore it, it will be worth what he's asking for it. In the condition it's in now, no.

But it depends on how badly you want it, how badly he wants to sell it, and you have to remember that these values are averages. The relatively low mileage works in his favor. On the other hand, if he's had the car listed for sale for months, and you're the first nibble, he might be ready to deal, and that works in your favor.

You might offer him maybe $8,000-$9,000 and then, if he isn't insulted and doesn't slam the door in your face, and after the back and forth, end up somewhere in the low teens. $11,000 or $12,000 as the final price would probably not be bad at all. He gets a decent price, and you didn't pay too much.

Last edited by jaunty75; September 29th, 2009 at 07:11 PM.
Old September 30th, 2009, 05:54 AM
Captain of my ship

Arm yourself

not with a gun but with a couple different old car guides on the value of the car. You will have to determine with the owner if it is in #2 or #3 condition. If it is a well kept car , clean , and in very good running condition it is probably somewhere between 2&3. One thing I would check out is the job that was done on the swap from column shift to console and floor shifter. Did he swap columns? and put in buckets? Does this affect the value of the car?
Old September 30th, 2009, 06:16 AM

Welcome

Welcome aboard

Citcapp is on the left coast and hasn't gotten out of bed yet so I'll chime in.

It sounds a tad high to me. I passed on a 69 red 442 drop top a few months back at 14 K that was apretty nice car. It had a little bonddodododo in one front fender but over all not a bad car.

If the milage is correct, that's low.

As to what to look for. Take a magnet and check for Bondo in the front fender particularly behind the wheel well and the rear quarters behind the wheel wells. That is where I seem to find the most rust and/or repair.

Blackjack meet Jack Black when he was a pup.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
jack black.jpg (74.4 KB, 7 views)
Old September 30th, 2009, 11:12 AM

Talking Welcome to CO

Seems a tad high, some people do not understand that the economy has driven the price of cars down. A lot of sellers are using auction houses to set the prices of their cars, these guys need a realty check. Check e-bay there not selling like some people think. Sounds like you are looking at a car that should be in the 10k range or less
Old September 30th, 2009, 12:37 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

As Joe P. will tell you, the ebay listing price is not the selling price. Most never sell for what the reserve is. Follow them and see if the sale is consumated. You can also check Hemming Motor News. Call some of the people with similar cars listed and see if they sold them. The selling price is what determines the value, not the listing price.

Also, welcome to CO.