The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

'69 Olds 455

Search this Thread

Old October 9th, 2016, 01:16 PM

'69 Olds 455

I have signed up in hopes that someone more knowledgible than I can shed some light on value for an old engine. I purchased the engine back in my early 20's and had the block, heads, and crank all remachined so that I could use it for a project car. I ended up no doing the project and after moving all the parts 5 times over the past 2.5 decades and wanting to sell it to free up some space. It's an 'F' block 455 c/w 'C' type heads. Believe that to be a '69 engine. I would appreciate if anyone can shed some light on value for it?

Thanks in advance.
Tim
Old October 9th, 2016, 02:10 PM

Even though you had it machined, unless you kept everything oiled and in bags, it will be considered as a core. Things would still need to be checked by a machine shop to make sure everything is good to go even if that were the case.

Don't expect big money for it is all I'm saying.
My guess would be in the $300-$500 range depending on the condition of the parts and what you have.
Old October 9th, 2016, 02:26 PM

Thank you for the feedback. As luck would have it I did in fact oil the block, crank, and heads all, and wrapped each up with shrink wrap.

I paid $300 for just the Offy intake, so would have anticipated somewhat more. Hell, just a timing tensioner on my Audi costs $600.00 alone. It's certainly a far cry from a core as cores would require all the machining costs and also you would need to add all the costs for things like new timing chain, new cam, new lifters, etc.
Old October 9th, 2016, 03:49 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Bigglezworth
Thank you for the feedback. As luck would have it I did in fact oil the block, crank, and heads all, and wrapped each up with shrink wrap.

I paid $300 for just the Offy intake, so would have anticipated somewhat more. Hell, just a timing tensioner on my Audi costs $600.00 alone. It's certainly a far cry from a core as cores would require all the machining costs and also you would need to add all the costs for things like new timing chain, new cam, new lifters, etc.
Unfortunately, without a good set of photos and complete list of parts you have, it is impossible for us to provide an accurate estimate. For example, you mentioned block, heads, and crank. You didn't say anything about pistons, rods, valve sizes, spring type, cam, pushrods, rockers, etc, etc. $300-$500 is reasonable for machined block, heads, and crank. Obviously if you have a pile of additional new parts that would change the estimate, but you didn't tell us that. You also didn't tell us about the Offy manifold until the second post. The mind reading thing still isn't working, so if you want a useful answer, you'll need to provide complete info. Good luck.
Old October 9th, 2016, 04:28 PM

Sorry guys. I wasn't thinking. Details as follows:

F396021 Block OEM bore
Type C heads w/ triple angle valve grind and hardened exhaust seats
OEM crank .010/.010
OEM rods w/ OEM pistons
New Crane 272 Max Velocity cam
New Comp Cams Roller Rockers
New Rhoads lifters
Holley Strip Dominator maniifold (thought it was an Offy and only confirmed once I pulled the plastic wrap off)
Rochester carb
Hedman headers
Also includes all the other stuff like the waterpump, oil pump, oil pan, air filter, oil filler tube, alternator, starter, flywheel, damper, valve covers, etc.

Had wanted to assemble and put in to a 1983 H/O that I had for a few years, but sold the H/O to buy a mini-van for a new family, put all my car stuff in storage, and the rest is history. My kids are now in their mid teens, I'm a single dad, and back to enjoying cars again. Just now the old Detroil muscle unfortunately. Want to find a new owner for this and a performce Chevy engine I have in storage. Appreciate all info and insight.

Effectively a complete engine minus rings, bearings, and gaskets

Thx
Tim

PS Can't seem to figure out how to upload a photo. I think it only accepts links from cloud accounts and I'll have to figure that out prior to posting pics.

Last edited by Bigglezworth; October 9th, 2016 at 04:30 PM.
Old October 9th, 2016, 04:36 PM
Administrator

Just click on the insert image tab 2nd from the right to insert images. You insert by URL or upload from a device.
Old October 9th, 2016, 05:13 PM

Old October 9th, 2016, 06:41 PM

i would be interested in the intake manifold
Old October 11th, 2016, 05:53 PM

Thank you all for the assistance. I have sold the engine locally to a classic car lover.
Old October 11th, 2016, 08:45 PM
72 Olds CS

Good deal if you don't mind what did u get for the lot