The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

'69 F-85 project update....

Search this Thread

Old September 22nd, 2011, 05:37 PM
'69 F-85

'69 F-85 project update....

Small development in my 69 Olds F-85 world. Updated pix are posted on my profile...

So I'm all excited and didn't know what to do first. So...I focused on under the hood and made her mechanically sound. Switched to an electronic distributor and high performance parts. It definitely gave her a few more horses, though I can't tell exactly how much. It was strong enough to immediately blow the timing belt. I upgraded to a "double link," performance timing belt (not sure what the official name of it is) and she is now oficially loud and she can even screetch out...even as an automatic. Nice!

Found an old set of 14" Cragars in my basement that came with my '68 Chevy BelAir. They've been sitting for years, but after a quick wipe down, they fit nicely and didn't look to bad. Anybody know the name of this set of Cragars? I think the 14's fit nicely although, when she's done, She'll have 15's all the way around...but I was surprised how well the 14's filled the wheel wells. No rubbing whatsoever. I plan to press my luck though and get 275-60-14 in the back for the time being...even if I need a little help from air springs to stop any rubbing. We'll see. I'll keep you posted.

I threw a little black spray paint on the quarter panels and fenders to cover some old gray primer - just to see what it would look like and....I like it better. Still ugly duckling, yes...but better than what was there and that's a step forward. I just may spray paint the whole thing black to keep me calm through the winter before I sell a kidney to get this thing cleaned up!

But...for the time being, I think these little touch ups gives me a much better sense of what my baby is gonna look like when she grows older. Definitely much more aggressive looking than it was before.

I'm excited. Will be back in touch soon.
Old September 22nd, 2011, 09:44 PM

Good luck on the resto.