The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

68-72 cutlass am/fm radio help

Search this Thread

Old May 25th, 2010, 03:25 PM

68-72 cutlass am/fm radio help

New to the site and I am probably looking for a needle in a haystack. I picked up a couple of late 60's earky 70's oldsmobile am/fm radios over the weekend. Not exactly sure what year and make they came out of, but one has the fins on the side and the other one has the fins on the back. Both of them are missing the little small red fm indicators beside the slide bar. Does anyone know where I might be able to purchase one or two of these. Thanks and looks like a great site.
Old May 25th, 2010, 05:04 PM

welcome. i don't think i can answer your question but someone will be along soon that can help. do you have any Oldsmobiles? if so post a picture or two of them. you may want to post a picture of the radios so people can pin point what you have.
Old May 25th, 2010, 06:20 PM

This may be of some help,

This e-mail message has been sent to you by (Oldsmobile Performance Club ), a Wild About Cars Community:
I just got my radio back from Gary Tayman of Tayman Electrical http://taymanelectrical.com/. Gary will take your existing radio and convert it to a moden 180 watt 4-channel AM/FM stereo radio - but it will still look completely stock from the outside. Al original buttons will work, etc. When you ge it back it will work and look beter than new!
It receives completely new guts and comes with all the leads and plug ins for I-Pod and CD Changer. Fo a little over $400 (includiing shipping) you can have a state-of-the-art radio that no one will ever know is not original.
Gary also sells NROS kick panels with speakers installed - you have a choice in this regard, so speak to him about what might work for you. He also sells a dual speaker front speaker that fits in the original location but will give you stereo - obviously, you can install two rear speakers as well and get your stereo separation and look completely stock!
Check him out at http://taymanelectrical.com/
Bob G
OPC Secretary

Gene
Old May 25th, 2010, 06:56 PM
Just an Olds Guy

I believe you can get an answer from W70442 (Randy). He does radios and tape decks. I have an email somewhere with the name of the guy who has those things, but Randy knows for sure. Good luck.
Old May 25th, 2010, 07:34 PM

Thanks any help would be appreciated. Here is a pic of each radio.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
olds 001.jpg (39.6 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg
olds 002.jpg (50.4 KB, 65 views)
Old May 26th, 2010, 05:14 AM
Past Administrator

Welcome to CO. If you have intentions of selling them you can use our "parts for sale" forum, someone just might be interested in one of them.
Old May 26th, 2010, 05:39 AM

Welcome

Welcome aboard

I'm sure someone would love to have those.
Old May 26th, 2010, 11:10 AM

I know the pics aren't the greatest, but can anyone identify what they might have come out of. There no tags on the radios. The one has the fins on the side and the other has the fins on the back.
Thanks
Old May 26th, 2010, 11:11 AM

looks like 70 to me, but may have been different years as well, but my grandmother had a 70 88 with those buttons
Old May 26th, 2010, 01:32 PM

The pic of the first one looks like out of a full size OLDS. It has the plug for the separate "FM stereo"unit.
The second pic, I say is of the '68/69 Cutlass "AM/FM unit. no stereo.

Gene
Old May 26th, 2010, 01:57 PM

sometimes there are numbers where the ***** are not sure if those are dependent on year. Both look like 70 to me, the first one an AM/FM stereo and the second one an AM/FM mono
Old May 27th, 2010, 12:34 PM

I appreaciate the vote of confidence but I'm not an expert by any means on the stereos though I have bought and sold several in the past 10 years or so. I mainly play with the 68-78 BOP 8 tracks.
From the shape of the slider bar and the fact that you said the fins on this one are on the rear of the unit, I'd say the stereo one is a 68 or 69 Cutlass stereo. I hope you have the multiplex unit for it. Otherwise, it's useless. If you don't have it, all is not lost. However, the multiplex units are matched to the stereo's at the factory so, while you may be able to find a multiplex unit, it is just a matter of luck getting one matched to that particular stereo. If they aren't matched well, the output could be very weak or very loud. In the latter case, that could damage the stereo by over driving it. The trick is finding a multiplex unit in which the gain is well matched to the stereo. You'll know when they are well matched, you'll have normal volume.
The fins on the side of the mono radio in the second pic make me think it's a big car (delta 88/98) radio. Can't really tell what year as those big car radios all had the square shaped slider bar.
When I say square shaped slider bar, I'm referring to or contrasting it with the 70-72 Cutlass radios/stereos in which the slider bars were tapered at the left and right ends.
I have all the service manuals from 67 thru 72. I'll check the pics of the radios and see if I can narrow it down.
Old May 28th, 2010, 02:31 AM

If there is a paper sticker on the side of the radio with the model number on it you'll be in business...
Old May 28th, 2010, 03:44 AM

Unfortunately there is not
Old May 29th, 2010, 02:50 AM

So the first one looks like '68 or '69 stereo and the second one looks like '68 or '69 Cutlass...the heat sinks on the left side because the brace for the dash between the radio and the glove box interferes with [the heatsink if you tried to put a full size radio] into the Cutlass...the FM indicators might be inside the faceplate and could be rescued...
Old June 4th, 2010, 12:13 PM

Took off the faceplate with no luck. Does anyone know if these can be bought?
Thanks