The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

67 Tornado steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old January 27th, 2021, 04:17 AM
Herm

67 Tornado steering wheel

Hello I am new to this forum . I am looking for a complete steering column for a 1967 olds Toranado tilt steering wheel or a 1965 olds dynamic. 88 tilt column. I have a 1965 olds dynamic 88 convertible that has a olds toranado steering column and needs replacement or anyone knows anyone that overhauls column. The cable turn system unit broke and the only way I can get the signals to work is manually ,also this car has the side marker lights . Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Herm.
Old January 27th, 2021, 05:27 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by allistar1
Hello I am new to this forum . I am looking for a complete steering column for a 1967 olds Toranado tilt steering wheel or a 1965 olds dynamic. 88 tilt column. I have a 1965 olds dynamic 88 convertible that has a olds toranado steering column and needs replacement or anyone knows anyone that overhauls column. The cable turn system unit broke and the only way I can get the signals to work is manually ,also this car has the side marker lights . Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Herm.
Do you mean "side marker lights" or "cornering lights"? Oldsmobile didn't install side marker lights (which are small yellow lights on the front fenders and small red lights on the rear fenders) until the 1968 model year, when they were required by federal law. Cornering lights, however, are white lights on the front fenders that light up on turns and those WERE an option in the 1965 model year. Cornering light and side marker lights are completely different and wiring and turn signal switch are different as a result. Which one do you have?
Old January 28th, 2021, 07:02 AM
Herm

I mean cornering lights,sorry about that mixup. Or the turn signal unit inside of the column is bad. Cannot find anyone here in Florida that repairs Oldsmobile steering columns of that vintage. Any replies would be helpful.
Old January 28th, 2021, 07:11 AM
Herm

1965 Oldsmobile dynamic 88 factory options + heavy duty upgraded brakes

Original calif car no rust!
Old January 28th, 2021, 08:14 AM
Old(s) Fart

Is your problem the cable or the switch itself? Are you sure it's a Toro column or just the wheel? This thread provides some info on the 65-66 Tilt/Tele switches.
Old January 28th, 2021, 08:27 AM
Herm

It’s the unit inside the column that attaches to the cable inside the column. The switch itself that is mounted on the outside of the column is good it’s nearly impossible to find a replacement unit that mounts inside the column. It’s plastic and just wore away. It’s a toro column from a 67 toronado.clan replace it with a 65 olds tilt column, with cornering light unit.