The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

62 Cutlass - 32 Roadster Royale Replica

Search this Thread

Old March 11th, 2020, 09:25 PM

62 Cutlass - 32 Roadster Royale Replica

I've been ask for more pictures of my big Diesel Roadster. I've always liked the late 20's and early 30's Roadster Royale's like the Cord, Duesenburgs, and Auburn Boat Tails , but Million $ basket cases are out of my price range. The story started 25 years ago when I saw the big cast iron radiator shell that said Cummins Dependable Diesel buried down in the belly of a Ex California Dept. of Transportation 1966 Rolba Snow Blast. A 1200 ton an hour twin Cummins engine Rotary Snow Blower. I had just bought it at auction for a ski resort that I ran the shop for. I told my wife then that the engine and radiator would make a great front end for a Roadster. "Yes dear she said I'll believe it when I see it". 10 years ago one of the CT-464 190HP Cummins engines died, and we replaced both engines with one Cat 3406 435Hp engine and converted the entire blower to all Hydrostatic. The next summer the build began, I had a parts car for my 62 Cutlass that had more rust than I wanted to deal with, but it had California Black Plates and a legal title with the vin # in the door jam. I spent the first year. building the rolling chassis out of a 1990 Dodge pick up frame and front suspension, added a 63 Olds Starfire 9 1/4" posi rear differential. The Cummins C Series that makes 190 HP and 500 LBS Torque at 2500 RPM was mated to an Allison MT41- 6 speed automatic with lock up in 5&6 had been the prime mover in the snow blower and had never been run flat out like the blower engine had been that failed.. I built new 4" tubular cross members and mounted the engine 18" to the rear, behind and lower than the stock cross member. With the size and weight of the engine/trans at around 2000 lbs the frame carries it nice being closer to the middle. The drive line is only 24" long. The Cutlass body was chopped and channeled, the roof removed , body was shortened the length of the back seat, and the rear quarter panels removed and flat sheet metal added to add a pair of 1932 Durrant 6 rear fenders(Caigslist), then the the Cutlass (Tail fins) were welded back on.The front fenders and running boards are 34 International 1 1/2 ton truck (eBay) Doors are aluminum frame Snow Cat doors cut down. Dash and firewall and vent window post are original Culass with 65 Chevy truck gauge pod. Vin # is still in the door jam and it's registered as a 1962 Olds Cutlass. One license plate frame says Johnny Cash Special, One Piece at a Time, and the other says Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. It's been in several parades and weddings, Was used to lap the Home coming King and Queen around the field at the local High School. And goes to several cruise nights a year where I can't seem to get away from it to look at the other cars for all the crowd asking questions. Notice the 1955 Olds 88 steering wheel. My son and Daughter in Law used it for their wedding. It was still in primer when she first saw it, and ask" how many different cars were used" I said about 12. I then sat down and figured it out, over 65 cars, trucks, snow blowers,snow cats, and parts from 1932 to 2009 were used to build this Johnny Cash Special.
Thanks for looking Rodney

Last edited by rocket-rodney; March 11th, 2020 at 09:40 PM. Reason: Typo
Old March 12th, 2020, 04:53 AM

Thanks for sharing Rodney. I love those Baby Moons! Post some pics of the engine when you get a chance.
Old March 12th, 2020, 06:23 AM
Jeff

Yes, thanks for sharing. Even has some Starfire in her! Really great craftsmanship.
Old March 12th, 2020, 07:04 AM
Administrator

Very unique, thanks for sharing.
Old March 12th, 2020, 08:08 AM

You sir have a unique imagination and are a hell of a craftsman...... Lost in the fifties ...Tedd
Old March 12th, 2020, 12:35 PM

Moons

Originally Posted by Olds64
Thanks for sharing Rodney. I love those Baby Moons! Post some pics of the engine when you get a chance.
Moons

I chose the Baby Moons mainly because they were available in a dual bolt pattern. 5" on 5" big Olds and 5" on 5.1/2"
Dodge/Ford truck, so I only need one spare and the fronts will work on the read and vice versa.. What it really needs is a set Chrome Spoke wheels. The car is up in the barn with about 4 tarps and covers, moth balled for the winter. I'll post more pictures when I pull it out. I had an entire album of picture from the build, Rolling chassis and all, but the old computer crashed and I lost it all. My son took it apart for parts to build a new computer and he thinks he can get the picture files off the hard drive. If he can, I'll post some of them.
Old March 12th, 2020, 12:44 PM

That took some work. I love looking at cars like this.
Old March 12th, 2020, 01:14 PM

Roadster

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
That took some work. I love looking at cars like this.
Yes it took up space in the shop for almost 2 years. And now I'm considering cutting the trunk off and doing a Boat Tail on it. I'm also looking for a CT-8.3 Cummins to replace the old school CT464 which ran from 1964-1980 The more modern CT8.3 makes way more power, 275 Hp and close to 800 LBS ft of torque, and won't smoke out the spectators quite as bad when first starting it.
Old March 12th, 2020, 03:04 PM

This build wins the Internet!
Old March 12th, 2020, 03:55 PM

Roadster Build

[QUOTE=Tedd Thompson;1233083]You sir have a unique imagination and are a hell of a craftsman...... Lost in the fifties ...Tedd[/QUOT

While building the Roadster I had 8"x10" color photos on all the walls of the shop, Of Cords, Auburn, Mercedes Benz, Delahay's and Duesenbergs, trying for that 30"s Royale look, but on a tight budget. They say necessity is the Mother of Invention. I had the Engine?trans, Cutlass body, and Dodge truck with a frozen block, all 0$. The Durant rear fenders I found on Craigslist for $100.00 in Reno, the International front fenders and running board were on e-Bay for $125.00, Believe it or not I found a 63 Starfire at Pic n pull, well picked over, but with a good rear end in it. Most parts that I didn't make came from salvage yards and scrap metal yards, and bone yards. The Hoods were one of the only things I paid some one else to make and they kinked them and got the radius wrong. I fixed them on cardboard on the shop floor with a roll of carpet. I did pay another shop to bend the Diamond Plate Aluminum Running board extensions, And he did a very good job, I'd go back in a minute if I need something else.

Thanks for looking and all the comments and complements
Rodney

Last edited by rocket-rodney; March 12th, 2020 at 03:59 PM.
Old March 13th, 2020, 04:56 AM

That is amazing craftsmanship!

Have you ever submitted your roadster to be covered by a magazine?
Old March 13th, 2020, 12:18 PM

Roadster

Originally Posted by Olds64
That is amazing craftsmanship!

Have you ever submitted your roadster to be covered by a magazine?
No I haven't tried to get it in any magazine. I've thought about trying to sell it to Jay Leno for a million bucks. I get my 3 Cylinder BSA in Cafe Race Magazine a few years ago.
Old March 13th, 2020, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by rocket-rodney
No I haven't tried to get it in any magazine. I've thought about trying to sell it to Jay Leno for a million bucks.
At the very least you should ask if Jay Leno's Garage would do an episode on your car.
Old May 18th, 2023, 02:06 PM

My Personal Barn Find.

In my last post about the Roadster Royale 3 years ago I mentioned it was tarped up and in the barn. Yesterday after 5 years in Hibernation I installed the Batteries and she fired in the first 15 seconds. Gotta love a Direct Injected Diesel engine. No Carbs for the fuel to evaporate out of and get all gummed up. No Varnish in the tank. But it was a mess when I pulled the tarps..
https://www.oldwillysforum.com/forum...33/post-326122
A little soap and water and 1/2 bottle of Meguiars Gold Leather Conditioner and she's about ready to cruise.

Facebook Post
Old May 19th, 2023, 07:25 AM

I'm a little surprised I haven't seen your cars at any of the Nor-Cal shows, they certainly would have caught my eye. Do you show them much? By your pictures and only a guess it looks a lot like the Nevada City area, but don't disclose i if not wanted, I would certainly understand..... Lost in the fifties ... Tedd
Old May 19th, 2023, 07:27 AM
Past Administrator

Very nice!
Old May 19th, 2023, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
I'm a little surprised I haven't seen your cars at any of the Nor-Cal shows, they certainly would have caught my eye. Do you show them much? By your pictures and only a guess it looks a lot like the Nevada City area, but don't disclose i if not wanted, I would certainly understand..... Lost in the fifties ... Tedd
The 55 Super 88 and Cummins Roadster have been to Auburn Cruise nights several times. Also to Colfax Cruise. I'm up in Alta, Above Colfax. I think I've seen that red and white Convertible a few times.
Old May 19th, 2023, 12:07 PM
72Cutlass S

The cup holder brought a tear to my eye. I wish my car had one.
Old May 19th, 2023, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by gs72
The cup holder brought a tear to my eye. I wish my car had one.
It's got Boat Louvers and air scoops. So why not a Marine cup holder.
Old May 21st, 2023, 05:58 PM

After driving it around a bit, my old brain reminded me why I parked it 5 years. The 1966 Cummins is making engine oil. It must have a couple of injectors bleeding off. After running for several minutes and shutting it off, it won't crank over. It Hydro locks until it sits and hour or so and the fuel works it's way past the piston rings into the oil pan.
I tried to find injectors or just new nozzles years ago and found out they were made of Un-Obtainium! I parked it thinking to up-grade it to the modern Cummins CT8.3. Used engines run about $3,500 and rebuilds start at $8,500.
Friday I was trolling eBay and found a guy who had cleaned out an old Diesel Injection shop where the owner had died. He found 6 Injectors on the rebuild bench with new nozzles. He had them advertised for over a week with no interest. They were listed with a Buy it Now price and Make Offer.
I offered him $20.00 ea for the set and they are on the way. Sometimes you're just plain lucky.

Last edited by rocket-rodney; May 21st, 2023 at 07:54 PM.
Old July 8th, 2023, 10:34 AM

The Cummins Dependable Roadster built around a 62 Cutlass shell is in Diesel World Magazine this month, for the Truck of the Month Contest.
To see it, go On Line to Diesel World Magazine. Click on Rides, drop down to Truck of the month and Voting. Or just click on the
Link to Diesel World. Readers rides truck of the month - voting - Diesel World (dieselworldmag.com)

Last edited by rocket-rodney; July 8th, 2023 at 10:57 AM.