The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

55' Rocket 88

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2016, 03:16 PM

Smile 55' Rocket 88

Hi, greetings from Denmark, and thank you for the membership
Nice forum you have here, and it seems like the right place to solve any issues regarding a classic Olds

I,m close to buying this 55' Rocket 88, but I can't seem to figure out exactly which model it is that I'm buying

It seems that there are different 2 door sedans in the 55' models..
Some is with a frame around the door windows, and some is without a frame..
The one I'm looking at, is with the Window frame..
I can't figure out the difference between the hardtop model, and the coupe model..

There is also the issue regarding 88s and Super 88 ??
How can a tell if the car is an 88s or Super 88 ?? 185 bhp VS 202 bhp
As I understand, the Super came with the 4 barrel carburator, but is there any other way to see if the car is a Super 88 ??

Best regards
Moulder
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
RqERh3i.jpg (4.82 MB, 53 views)
Old May 20th, 2016, 04:17 PM

55 Rocket 88

Let me be the first to welcome you to the site. You can gets a lot of info from some very knowlegable Olds owners here. That's a nice looking 55 post. The differences between the 88 and Super 88 were mainly trim pieces. Both were available with 4 barrels. I see that your car has the Super 88 emblems on the front fenders. The interior of a Super 88 is much nicer than ones on a plain 88. The seats have upgraded upholstery, and the door and quarter trim panels have chrome moldings separating the two tone covering. Someone on the site will be able to tell you what series number is assigned to the post version of the Super 88 and the 88. Either way, it's a great looking ride.
Old May 20th, 2016, 04:19 PM

Smile

The car pictured seems to be a '55 Super 88 2dr. sedan.The "88" and Super "88" had different front fender scripts for the two models.The First emblems shown were for the Super88, and the second type were for the standard 88!
Attached Images
image.jpg (15.8 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpeg
image.jpeg (17.9 KB, 10 views)
Old May 20th, 2016, 04:35 PM

Thank you both for your reply
I'm happy that it probably is a Super 88
I attach the only pics of the upholstery that I have.

I'm also wondering why there is no radio in the car..
Not that I'll need any other music than the engine

I still haven't been able to figure out the difference between the models with frames around the side windows, and the ones with no frames..
They er both called "sedan", but I can see that there is also a "coupe" version..
I wonder if that is the one without window frames ??
Old May 20th, 2016, 05:08 PM

Smile '55 Olds

No they were not both called sedans in a 2 Door. The one with no door frame around the Windows,was a Holiday Coupe, or better known to us as a 2 Dr. hardtop. They did make a Holiday Sedan without door frames around the Windows, but it was a 4 Door Hardtop. The Coral car is a Holiday coupe I Owned in 1962, and the green car is the Holiday Sedan ,that I just sold A month ago. hopefully I have not completely blown your mind. The armrest on a Super 88 are much larger ,and cannot be removed without removing the door panel,and the "88"'s are held on with 2 Phillips screws . At this time you could order cars with a radio delete option. Larry
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg
image.jpeg (1.34 MB, 21 views)
image.jpg (18.8 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by Rocketowner; May 20th, 2016 at 05:12 PM.
Old May 20th, 2016, 05:32 PM
Frank Ignachuck

That is a beautiful car!
Old May 20th, 2016, 06:22 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

That is a beautiful car. Love the colors. I may be wrong but I will disagree with my neighbor to the east of me (lonestarjarhead) that the regular 88 was available with a 4 barrel carb. The Super 88 was often called an 88 with the 98 engine which had the 4 barrel carb. A very minor difference was also the ***** on the window cranks were chrome on the Super 88.
Old May 20th, 2016, 06:49 PM

I was always told that you could order a Regular "88" with the 4 Barrel "202 hp" engine ,but it had to be ordered that way, because normally they would have had the 2 barrel. The 324 2 barrel was listed as 185 H.P. ,but the 4 barrel boosted the H.P. To 202. Larry

Last edited by Rocketowner; May 20th, 2016 at 07:03 PM. Reason: Add
Old May 20th, 2016, 07:15 PM

Yep, back in the day you could set down with the dealer rep and check the boxes on the build sheet, stuff that you wanted and make it your way. There have been some strange combos put together. That being said regular 88's generally came off the floor with a 2bbl, cheaper interior, no chrome rocker molding, dog dish wheel covers, different badges and a few other items. Radios heaters power windows, power steering and AC could be had or deleted as needed though I have never seen a regular 88 with AC, maybe others have. Hope this helps a little.... Lost in the fifties .... Tedd
Old May 20th, 2016, 07:47 PM
Phantom Phixer

Look for the fisher body tag , somewhere on the firewall , under the hood.
The "style" number will tell you what model you have .
55-3611 = "88" two door sedan (post)
55-3637 = "88" holiday coupe (hardtop)
55-3611D = super 88 two door sedan (post)
55-3637D = super 88 holiday coupe (hardtop)
Old May 21st, 2016, 12:07 AM

Thank you for helping guys, I really appreciate it
Your info helps me to identify the models.

The car has been rebuilt here in Denmark a few years ago, and it really looks great. The motor runs like new, and there is a full history on the car.
The seller has the original invoice from 1955, where it was bought for 2500 $
Same owner in the USA had the car for 55 years, and was shipped here to Denmark 5-6 years ago

There's one issue though, that I'm a little worried about..
The car has a 4 speed Hydramatic, and I think it's a little hard when it shifts gears.. It's not really smooth in the shifting, and I think it shifts pretty fast..
I have read, that the shift from 2. to 3. gear is a little more rough than the other shifts, and it is exactly so on this car. The shift from 2. to 3. sounds rough, and feels rough.. (hard to explain)
And it feels like it is shifting to soon..
I have never driven a Hydramatic before, so I don't know how it's suppose to feel like.. I have read that the gearbox can be adjusted, maybe that can help fix the "problem"

Finally.. Is there anything on this 55' model I should be aware of before buying it ?? Does the 55' Rocket 88 have any known problems that I should be aware of, and check before buying it ??

I need to close the deal today, I can't sleep at night, all I can think of is that da.. car
Old May 21st, 2016, 06:00 AM

The fast shift from 1 to 2 is common/ normal (sometimes 30 feet) and that shift is a gear that can't be adjusted. The others can be adjusted for a faster or longer shift by lengthening or shorting the rod that drops down from the carb to the transmission. Rougher shifts than a new car are normal in a slant pan transmission but they are tough robust transmissions and if not totally abused or neglected will last years.

Have fun with your new car, she looks fine..... Lost in the fifties ...Tedd
Old May 21st, 2016, 06:08 AM

The transmissions are not as smooth as some other cars,but you could remedy that some by adjusting the "throttle linkage" on the left side of the carburetor.If you have the Oldsmobile Shop manual,it tells you about the speed it should shift into second ,third ,and 4th with just a normal take off. You need to buy an original shop manual,if it didn't come with one.(usually available on EBay).The throttle linkage has a small cotter key that holds the linkage lever into the swivel adjuster,just take it loose, turn it one round ,hook it back up and drive it .If the shift is better go another round,or if worse, adjust it 2 rounds the other direction..You should be able to notice a difference in the shifting pattern.
When you can raise it on a rack, you might also check the plastic grommets where that linkage fastens to the actual pivot on the transmission, and make sure they are not worn .
These transmission were so tough, that they were used in Army tanks,(2 of them used with Cadillac engines) ,so get it adjusted as well as you can and enjoy it,because it will stay with you for a long time. Buy it, They are wonderful cars. Larry

Last edited by Rocketowner; May 21st, 2016 at 06:14 AM. Reason: Correct
Old May 21st, 2016, 07:54 AM

Thank you guys, sounds great, and makes me more calm
I have made arrangements with the owner, and will go and pick up the car tomorrow... I can hardly wait
Old May 21st, 2016, 08:47 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I have found on my 54 if I shift it manually the shifts don't seem as hard. If I let it shift by itself and put my foot on the gas the 2 to 3 shift will make you think the transmission is coming through the floor. But as mentioned they are tough transmissions. They were the first B&M hydro's.
Old May 21st, 2016, 10:18 AM

Congratulations, you will love the feeling when you are driving and getting those "Thumbs Up " from others that you see. Maybe it won't make you "Pee in your pants,but you will get a warm feeling". Larry
Old May 22nd, 2016, 11:19 AM

I brought the car home today, and what a pleasure
The drive home was about 100 miles, and no problems whatsoever..
not a single drop of oil underneath the car after the drive.. Very nice

I'm still a little confused and unhappy about the hydra-matic gearbox though..
The positive is, that I think it felt a little smoother in the shift during the drive..
But what anoys me is, that it shifts extremely soon..
When I accelerate normal from standstill, it shifts in to 3. at 20 mph, and in to 4. at 25 mph..
Only when I accelerate pretty hard, it shifts a bit later, but still pretty soon.
And it is not easy at all, to get the downshift to work proper..
Only a kickdown will force a downshift from 4. to 3. gear, even at low speed..

Is that normal behavior ??
The motor is strong enough to accelerate the car in 4. gear, but it still feels wrong
Old May 22nd, 2016, 12:13 PM

Sounds like you need to experiment with the throttle linkage Adjustment as I Mentioned in post #13. I believe that will improve your situation. Larry
Old May 22nd, 2016, 12:50 PM

Thank you Larry, I will try that
Old May 22nd, 2016, 03:12 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Congratulations. You are going to love this car. The very next thing you need to buy is a factory service manual. Don't buy a reprint or one on CD. Get an honest to goodness original with a few greasy fingerprints on it. There will be several on ebay but the prices vary a lot.
Old May 22nd, 2016, 05:22 PM

I would like to tell you about that little emblem on your dash that says "Oldsmobile Circle." If you were really proud of your car I think you signed up for the "Oldsmobile Circle" magazine and you got this dash emblem with your initials and the number of Oldsmobiles you owned. I bought a hood and a set of fenders from a guy who had a set of these Oldsmobile Circle dash plaques and I got my initials and the number "4" for the number of Olds I had a the time. Perhaps other members can tell you more.
Old May 22nd, 2016, 06:28 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I have one in my 54 but I don't have my initials on it. For some reason I think I read that these came out in 1956 and were given by dealers to preferred customers. The comments about the Oldsmobile Circle magazine are interesting. They come up on ebay pretty often and that is where mine came from. I just checked and there are several listed with prices that range from $12.00 to $59.97 (crazy price). I have included a link to one that has an instruction sheet dated January 1955 which indicates they must have come out in middle of the 55 model year.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1955-1956-OL.../291132463280?
hash=item43c8d8d8b0:g:9psAAOSwQItT76nu&vxp=mtr
Old May 23rd, 2016, 02:16 AM
Frank Ignachuck

I bought one for my '56. I didn't put any initials on it either. I don't know if they started in late '55 or not, but my understanding is that the dealer handed them out with the purchase of a new Olds and you also got a subscription to Rocket Circle Magazine.

I saw a box of ten on ebay recently which tells me that they were in dealer parts rooms.
Old May 23rd, 2016, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Scottwhite98
I would like to tell you about that little emblem on your dash that says "Oldsmobile Circle." If you were really proud of your car I think you signed up for the "Oldsmobile Circle" magazine and you got this dash emblem with your initials and the number of Oldsmobiles you owned. I bought a hood and a set of fenders from a guy who had a set of these Oldsmobile Circle dash plaques and I got my initials and the number "4" for the number of Olds I had a the time. Perhaps other members can tell you more.
Wauw.. Thanks for info on the "Oldsmobile Circle".. I had absolutely no idea..
Thats great, and add's even more joy to the cars history
I have the original handwritten "Car Order" from 1955, and the first owner traded in a 46' 4 door model 76 Olds, so he was a true member of the "Circle"

The cars sales price was 2628,78,- $ + "accessories & extra equipment"
Isn't history great
Attached Images
IMG_37221.jpg (582.1 KB, 24 views)