The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

4dr 1965 Olds Delta 88 Value?

Search this Thread

Old August 18th, 2009, 08:42 AM

4dr 1965 Olds Delta 88 Value?

I'm currently looking at a 1965 Olds Delta 88 with the 425 near me forsale that i'm trying to figure out a value for. Speedometer says 28887 so i'm guessing its 128,887 miles on it also there asking price is $3500. They did a spray bomb job or something on it. Car does appear to be clean, I was applying pressure on the floor from underneath and all panels to see if anything would give from rust. Vehicle appears to run good and is driveable but engine does leak oil so i'm sure it could use a new gasket set on it. I'm guessing its worth $2,000-$2,500 but let me know your guys opinions. Also those are just stickers on the car.

2 rust spots on bottom of bumper

Front and rear seats are tore

Roof, small dent

Passengerside rear, pushed in some by bumper

Only spot I could find it rotted, passengerside rear

no idea what happened here, all pushed up

Old August 18th, 2009, 08:46 AM

there is also 3-4 nickel size dents through out the car and the head is a bit bumpy like they tried to clean rust off before spraying but didn't do a good job
Old August 18th, 2009, 08:47 AM

hood not head
Old August 18th, 2009, 09:16 AM

If it runs strong $3500 might not be a bad price. You could always offer them $2800 cash and see what they say. It looks straight; however, the paint is sort of redneck. 4 door hardtops are awsome!
Old August 18th, 2009, 09:45 AM
Past Administrator

Interesting that someone found scallop decals (stickers) that fit the car, wonder if they were custom ordered. Lucky they are stickers and can be removed. I always figured a driver is worth $1500 and would add value from there if it had something above and beyond what I expected. So if you have always liked the B body four door hardtop add some value for that, or, if you like the satin black paint scheme add value for that, etc...

edit: I think the "pushed up" area is where they bottomed out on a culvert or soft shoulder or something. My '46 has damage like that as well.
Old August 18th, 2009, 09:49 AM

A 4dr B body with junk paint, junk interior, sprayed over chrome, body rot etc is not worth much, tops 1000.00 in my book. These cars are not sale-able at all unfortunately and usually end up as parts cars.
Old August 18th, 2009, 11:57 AM

A 4dr B body with junk paint, junk interior, sprayed over chrome, body rot etc is not worth much, tops 1000.00 in my book. These cars are not sale-able at all unfortunately and usually end up as parts cars.
That is a good point. Most people don't care much for 4 doors. Maybe you should offer lower than what I said orignially. The worst the owner can do is say no. You can wait out until he finally accepts, or if he sells it to someone else there are plenty of other Oldsmobiles out there.
Old August 18th, 2009, 01:23 PM
Oldsdruid

I like 4-door hardtops a lot (probably one of the few people who do), but I can tell you $3500 isn't there. You could get a very nice example for a few hundred more, even as scarce as a 1965 Delta of any description is.

'Course if you're into ratrods, this one would probably fit the bill.

People tend to underestimate the Holiday Sedan bodystyle, simply because they can't get past the extra doors- not cool, they think. Bullschit. The 4-door hardtop ranked right under the convertible and wagon in the sales hierarchy and has always had a sporty elegance. Optioned with the right colors and wheel treatments, they can look as good as any 2-door hardtop or convertible around.

In a way I'm glad they're not popular. Means I can still find nice ones for reasonable money.

Still doesn't mean I can forgive the Chevy azzhole here who scrapped a gorgeous triple plum 67 Caprice Sport Sedan after he raped it of its 427 drivetrain and emblems to put in a POS 73 Nova- that is still in red primer after nearly 15 years. That was just wrong.

"Won't nothin' but a ol' four-door big car, they ain't worth nothin". The original lady owner had gone in a nursing home and her heirs were selling off everything she had to first buyer. I didn't get there soon enough. If I had, that car would still be around.

I still don't have any use for that SOB, and he's smart enough not to come around me anymore at a cruise night. I'd always ask if he'd scrapped any more nice cars to feed his POS.
Old August 18th, 2009, 03:07 PM

Ok, thanks for all the comments guys. I'm actually into the whole rat rod scene but they did a hack job in my opinion on the paint and such. I actually won't be buying it but he wants to trade that & a 79 camaro for a project truck I currently have forsale. I have no use for the camaro at all thou so I would just sell it right away.

350 swapped in it

She is rotted away bad underneath

Here is much project s10 show truck with over $25,000 invested and i'm down to $4,500 trying to sell it but no one has money.

Old August 18th, 2009, 03:39 PM
Registered Luser

Keep the truck, forget the junk he wants to trade you....car is barely worth a grand and the camaro is about the same...I'd let the truck sit before I traded it for that!
Old August 18th, 2009, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by ent72olds
Keep the truck, forget the junk he wants to trade you....car is barely worth a grand and the camaro is about the same...I'd let the truck sit before I traded it for that!
x2 ON THE ABOVE
Old August 18th, 2009, 07:49 PM

ya thats what I was figuring, thanks for all the help. I have to admit thou I do like the styling of the 4 door so I might have to look around and pick one up.
Old August 18th, 2009, 08:21 PM

That car is pretty rough. Any time you see that much cancer on the outside, you can bet that all the panels are thin a LONG way into that rust on the inside. I would go no more than $1k tops, and would feel nuts if i went over about $1200. The car i have in my pics I gave $1800 for, and it is a numbers matching 2 dr HT from Florida, with very little mentionable rust. I would say, keep shopping. With the bad economy and bitching wives, you will come across a deal you won't believe if you're patient.