The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

455 olds

Search this Thread

Old June 3rd, 2013, 08:48 PM

Question 455 olds

hi can somebody tell me why my spark plugs are fettin wet with gasoline and my 455 is smokin alot only from the the header that has the wet spark plugs ?? thanks
Old June 3rd, 2013, 09:28 PM
Administrator

What have you done to your car since last year? I know you put the torker on it, timing chain, cam,...?
Old June 4th, 2013, 01:01 AM

i finally got it running after one year and 6k we added the torker and the new timin chain and sprokets and hod the rochester rebuilt and a new hei distributor it seems to run good and motor sounds good with the new flowmwsters but it smokes alot from the driver eshaust . i checked the spark plugs and it seemed tobe wet with gasoline i bought new spark plugs and it runs better i have a leake on my choke tubes could it b the problem or is it runnin to rich or i have a bad head gasket?? it dont smoke alm the time only when i put the pedal to the metal and wooiw it does have some ***** i love my new baby i knw im going to find the problem and solve it like all the previous problems.. almost forgot now it smokes from the valve cover breather when we first got it running the first times it wouldn do that maybe after we startin to mes with the air and fuel mixture or since we replaced the gas pump..????
Old June 4th, 2013, 04:00 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by Orlando Perez
... can somebody tell me why my spark plugs are [g]ettin wet with gasoline and my 455 is smokin alot only from the the header that has the wet spark plugs ??
Well, obviously, it's flooding.

Are ALL the plugs on that side wet, or only some?

Since the intake tracts are not divided so that one half of the carb goes to one side and the other half to the other side, having all of the plugs wet on one side only is actually quite a feat.

Check to be sure your float's not set too high.

Also consider the possibility of one or more plugs not firing, which will create a similar effect (though will not make all the plugs on one side wet).

- Eric
Old June 4th, 2013, 06:35 AM
Administrator

I'm wondering if your intake manifold gasket is leaking on that side, and you are sucking oil in there which in turn attracts and retains fuel. With the engine running can you spray some carb cleaner around your intake gasket and also into the valve cover opening to see if your engine gains RPM?
Old June 4th, 2013, 09:18 AM

yes eric only the plugs on one side are gettin wet all 4.. how do i chec the floatin thing..??
oldcutlass i will go ahead and do that today if i get a chance..