The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

394 Timing chain questions

Search this Thread

Old January 28th, 2010, 05:16 AM

394 Timing chain questions

Hello from a new guy to the forum.
I've stuck with a 1959 Oldsmobile super 88 4dr ht I got from the original owner 23 years ago. Back then I put another 394 engine in since the original was horribly frozen. I did the heads over with hardened seats and have since had a great time and driven everywhere including Lansing in '97.

Recently the performance has deteriorated and it turned out the timing chain is bad. Does anyone have first hand knowledge and can answer me this. The manual says you need to remove the oil pan to remove the timing cover. Some mechanics say thats not necessary and the cover can be pried away from the pan. Also will I have trouble removing the Harmonic balancer. Will I need a puller? but could this damage the balancer or pull it apart. Is there any reason to overhaul the balancer when it seems to be fine.

For a moment I wonder about overhauling the whole engine. At 90,000 miles it runs fine. 2 cylinders are about 10 lbs less compression than the others. I presume its not a good idea to just freshen it up a little with say just new rings or pistons or bearings.

If anyone has some suggestions I would appreciate it.
Bob
Old January 28th, 2010, 05:23 AM
Captain of my ship

I did the timing chain and gears on my Olds last year. I am not too sure about if you can pry the cover off without dropping the oilpan.Someone with experience will pipe in on that issue. I would worry about the front seal. You will need a puller to pull the harmonic balancer off the crank but you can just clean it up and reinstall it , a correct puller will not damage it.
Old January 28th, 2010, 05:26 AM
Past Administrator

First welcome to CO. Second, I cannot say specifically about your engine, but on the later V8s you could pry off the timing cover but would take a chance on damaging the front oil pan gasket. And you do need to use a wheel puller or you may damage the balancer, the center section is bonded to the outer balancer by rubber and simply prying/pulling on the outer portion could pull it apart, especially an old one. Now hopefully someone will post about your engine specifically as it might be different.