The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

1st Post, 71 Cutlass Supreme Viking Blue Conv

Old April 6th, 2013, 07:35 PM

1st Post, 71 Cutlass Supreme Viking Blue Conv

My first post after navigating through the forum for awhile and took the plunge to finally register last week. As someone who is non mechanical I have learned a lot from this site. I have a 1971 Cutlass Supreme Convertible in Viking Blue (best color I think but biased). I have pictures posted in my album and profile.

I am the second owner and bought it as a high school sophomore in July 1984 for $3,500 of my own cash from mowing a LOT of lawns. My 15 year old who will get his license in Sept would love to drive the car but he has already been informed that he will not turn the key until I am in the grave. Only driven by me, my dad or a mechanic.

I am obsessed Pittsburgh Steelers fan but have never been to the city. I am going to have the body repainted for the first time this year and nervous about finding the right person around Springfield, IL to do it right. Would appreciate any referrals from Olds enthusiasts in the area. The Route 66 festival is in Springfield this Sept and would love to show it off then.
Old April 6th, 2013, 08:07 PM
GM Enthusiast

Welcome to CO Tim. Nice avatar too, gotta love Jack Lambert. Go Steelers!
Old April 8th, 2013, 06:30 AM

Welcome, I have the same car as you, Is yours a blue bench interior? That's what mine is, also white top like yours. I need to get some digital pics and post them this spring. You will like this site, so many helpful people w/good knowledge.
Old April 8th, 2013, 06:38 AM
Administrator

Welcome Tim. Does your son mow a lot of lawns?
Old April 8th, 2013, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Welcome, I have the same car as you, Is yours a blue bench interior? That's what mine is, also white top like yours. I need to get some digital pics and post them this spring. You will like this site, so many helpful people w/good knowledge.
Greg, thanks for asking. I have pearl white interior with bucket seats in the front.
Old April 8th, 2013, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Welcome Tim. Does your son mow a lot of lawns?
Not enough for the boy to drive my car. I appreciate your posts. As I have navigated through the site you are very knowledgeable and helpful. I have learned a lot already from your responses.
Old April 9th, 2013, 09:43 AM

Welcome aboard. This is a great site and the members are full of information. I am also partial to your color! As a kid, I loved the Steelers & Franco Harris! Alas, now I am a perenially optomistic Detroit Lions fan...
Old April 9th, 2013, 09:49 AM

see my screen name...I have the same bias. Mine a blue bench interior.

Let's not forget Mean Joe and Jack Ham either
Old April 9th, 2013, 06:20 PM

Very nice and a bit jealous. Always wished my car was a 442. The white strip, hood, 442 grill . . . what else can you say. Beautiful car.
Old April 9th, 2013, 07:57 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by 71Viking Blue
Not enough for the boy to drive my car. I appreciate your posts. As I have navigated through the site you are very knowledgeable and helpful. I have learned a lot already from your responses.
I don't understand kids today either. But I also was an enabler to a wife, who decided to shield our son from doing chores and the real world. I'll see how that works out when he graduates from college in 2 years.

Also thanks, there are a great many extremely knowledgeable folks on here, and I have learned a great deal here also.