The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

1984 Hurst Olds

Search this Thread

Old July 15th, 2013, 05:20 PM

1984 Hurst Olds

Hi name is Jeff, I recently purchased a Hurst Olds from a guy that had a BBC 454 in it. I bought the car as a roller to put some Olds back into it and go bigger than the boat anchor 307 H/O. I was able to find what I consider a low mileage 425 Olds from a 1966 Starfire in running condition. 66k on the motor and trans with the converter. I didn't pay much and the guy has a lot of Starfire parts, apparently the car was to rusted to restore. He has a lot of interior parts in great condition so I was sure to tell him of this site. The block casting is 389244D, with B heads,it has a 4bl carb and then original intake manifold as well as exhaust manifolds. It is a red block. On the front of the block on the passenger side the ID says N 690350 S , which confused the **** out of me. I have the original air cleaner as well it says Oldsmobile Ultra High Compression.
Old July 16th, 2013, 09:52 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by jeff84hurst
On the front of the block on the passenger side the ID says N 690350 S , which confused the **** out of me.
It shouldn't. First, that stamp is on the cylinder head, not the block. Second, all pre-1968 Olds motors came with this engine unit number stamp. If you had the Protect-O-Plate from the car the motor came from, the P-O-P would have tied that engine unit number to the car's VIN. In any case, the "N" prefix simply means it's a 425 bbl motor. The "S" suffix is for Starfire, I believe.

You probably already know that you'll need a set of the 307 frame mounts as well as Anchor 2328 motor mounts to bolt the 425 into the G-body. The 66 accessory brackets are probably not going to work, so you will likely need a set of 307 brackets, water pump, and pulleys. The 307 brackets need a couple of minor mods to fit the BBO. You will need about a 1" spacer between the PS pump and alternator brackets where they bolt together, due to the taller deck height. If you are keeping the R4 A/C compressor from the G-body, you'll need to weld a couple of tabs onto the bottom of the front compressor bracket to reach the bolt holes, again due to the taller deck height. You need to use the 66 flexplate. The B-body exhaust manifolds won't clear the frame, so you need the W/Z manifolds from a 69-72 A-body or G-body BBO headers. On the other hand, the Starfire should have had dual exhaust, so the driver's side manifold is rare and valuable. Don't trash them. The 66 TH400 will be a long tail unit, but the trans mount is in the same place as on the original 200-4R so that just bolts right up.
Old July 18th, 2013, 08:56 PM

BBO in Hurst

I talked to a guy today at a cruise night and he said he was able to use the brackets from the BBO when it went into a g-body car. I know I need a set of the 307 mounts for the engine.
I won't be using air conditioning on the car. I would gladly sell the exhaust manifolds to anyone that wants them because I will have no use for them. I'll try it out with the BBO brackets after I get everything accounted for and see how it goes, otherwise I'll be at the local bone yard looking for small block olds brackets.
Old July 22nd, 2013, 07:59 PM
GM Enthusiast

Welcome to CO Jeff! I really like the Hurst/Olds cars, sounds like you're going to make a nice sleeper.
Old July 22nd, 2013, 08:09 PM

As long as you don't mix up brackets, you should be able to use small block or big block brackets. Since you're not using the a/c, you saved yourself a ton of headache!

I had a 425hp/515tq big block in an 83 Hurst/Olds a few years back. Talk about a tire roaster!!! Have fun!
Old March 28th, 2014, 05:42 PM

425 Olds and 1984 Hurst/Olds

I had a buddy that used to run around in a 66 Olds 4 door that his dad rebuilt a 425 olds for - That car would burn rubber farther than the eye could see - very good running motor - so I can understand someone wanting to put one of those in a puney little G body but have you thought about using a 403 Olds motor instead - they look the same as the little 307 Olds and it would be much simpler to do.

I recently purchased an 84 Hurst/Olds that I'd be embarrassed to post a picture of on this site - It ran well enough to drive it home and then sat in a carport for a couple winters and now it won't start - it has no spark but it will turn over so probably one of the electronic components in the distributor or something in the switch under the column I'm guessing. Anyway I wouldn't mind hearing from anyone that knows these cars. Mine is all original and I am the second owner - sort of an ok interior but the sunroof cables are stretched so it won't shut all the way and it handled and drove ok getting it home - just had to fiddle with the choke to make it run good but the drivers front has some rash on it and the doors have port hole rust in them - I've already rounded up everything I need to replace all the damaged body parts so I'm 1/2 way there $ wise, I'll still have to buy the paint and stripe kit and a few interior items such as headliner and maybe carpet but it actually looked fairly good so well see - drivers seat needs some work and I need the side chrome for the seats surprisingly nice door panels and dash - it had a dash pad on it so that was spared. It was an impulse buy on accounta the low original mileage - 79,000 original and the fact that it had a sunroof and not T-tops - I've had enough water dumped on my head so now I avoid those cars. I guess the sunroof cars are pretty rare - read somewhere that out of the 3500 84s built that only 12 of them had sunroofs, I also saw a little bit higher number about 23 maybe - anybody know? Anyway - first time on here so like I said any conversation would be a good thing. Thanks, Marc in Spokane Wa.

1940 Ford pickup - project
1940 ratrod truck - project
1962 Lebaron - black
1967 Riviera - gun metal grey
1967 Riviera - green
1969 428 Bonneville 2 door - brown
1969 Jeep Super Wagoneer - Empire Blue, black guts
1984 Hurst/Olds - silver, red guts, sunroof
1990 Lexus LS400 - Dark rose metallic, summer driver - to lazy to replace leaky heater core.
1994 ext cab Silverado 4x4 - red, winter rig, work truck
1990 John Deere class A motorhome with Ford big block - Made in Idaho and I can't find another like it anywhere. It was a freebie - but it still cost about $700 to pick it up.
2002 Harley FXDL - Impact Blue - nice name for a motorcycle color - not ! It makes me smile.

I see other people listing their cars so I figured I'd do it to - not much to brag about with any of these cars listed - just for conversation sake.
Old March 29th, 2014, 05:25 AM
Past Administrator

Welcome to CO Jeff.
Old March 29th, 2014, 05:58 AM
Administrator

Welcome Jeff, post up some pictures of your stable.