The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

1979 cutlass supreme

Search this Thread

Old January 6th, 2012, 02:35 PM

1979 cutlass supreme

Hey everyone,marty here and needing some info and thanks for letting me join!! i came across a 1979 cutlass with 21k miles from a friend of the family,not really finding to much about these cars and little to no activity on ebay and craigs list.My concern is should i get road worthy and give it to my kid or is this a car that people collect and should be kept in original conditon and restored? i know pontiac has phs to document cars like my 69 bird,does oldsmoblile have anything like this?I tried to attach pics but got some error message when uploading and will try later.thanks for your time.
Old January 6th, 2012, 02:53 PM

With your car being a '79, information should be available from the GM Heritage Center, which took over the Olds History Center a few years ago, although you might have to pay something.

I think this kind of car would be a wonderful first car for your kid to start out on. Something unusual yet fun to drive, and he/she would have reason to take good care of it and fix things when they need fixing.

Cutlasses of that era are not as collectible as the earlier (pre-'73) models, which is all the more reason to get it in good running condition for your kid. If it gets run into the ground, so what?
Old January 6th, 2012, 07:42 PM

thanks for the information on gm heritage center,i will look that up.
with such low miles i think i will get it cleaned up and let her drive it to the ground!!!