The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

1975 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Convertible

Search this Thread

Old November 24th, 2011, 08:47 AM

1975 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Convertible

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ture8345-a.jpg

I'm new to the forum. I have inherited a 1975 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Convertible (455 engine) which has been in the family since about 1984 when my father bought the car and he enjoyed it very much over the years and it was well taken care of only driven occasionally. In the last few years he did not drive the car very much. I am now in the process of repairing or replacing things on the car (new convertible top, new weather stripping, new alternator, repaired drivers seat, convertible motor switch, etc). Now I am looking for the wiring harness for the drivers power window switch and the four way switch. I found that the switch worked fine until I took it apart to determine the cause of the issue. I think the quarter window section of the wiring has harness burnt out. Any help appreciated!

Last edited by Algord; November 24th, 2011 at 08:57 AM. Reason: Added Picture
Old November 24th, 2011, 03:09 PM

Welcome to the forum. I don't know the answer to your specific question, but I used to have a car just like yours. I bought it from the second owner in 1994 and sold it in 2001. The photo below was taken in 1996.

If you need a complete wiring harness, you're likely going to have to take one off of a donor car as things like this are not reproduced for the big Oldsmobiles.
Old November 24th, 2011, 04:40 PM
Oldsdruid

Beautiful car. I'm diggin' that bungalow in the background too, looks early 20th century.

You need: 1975 Olds factory Chassis Service Manual and 1975 Fisher Body Manual to get the wiring diagrams for this repair work.

When you took the master PW switch apart, did you notice any burning, pitting or corrosion on the contacts? I used to have to take the one on my 73 88 ragtop apart about once a year and clean it up to get the windows working again. Finally found one in a junkyard car and got away from that nonsense.

Most GM cars from 1971 on into the 80s can supply a switch if it's needed. Look for a car that does not have the PW switches in the armrests.

Here's a test you can perform to see if it's switch, harness or PW motor. On the master switch plug, find the heavy gage red/white wire. This is the master feed wire.

With 12V at the plug, use a suitable jumper (at least 12 gage wire) from the red/white wire in the plug to test operate:

Driver front- BROWN wire in the plug to OPEN window, DARK BLUE to CLOSE

Passenger front- BROWN/WHITE to OPEN, DARK BLUE/WHITE to CLOSE

Driver rear- PURPLE to OPEN, DARK GREEN to CLOSE

Passenger rear- PURPLE/WHITE to OPEN, DARK GREEN/WHITE to CLOSE

If they all work with the jumper, it's the master switch. You can expect small sparks, and be ready to yank the jumper out quickly if needed.

If they still don't work, take the window motor wiring plugs loose and test for voltage at each terminal, up and down. Connect a test light or voltmeter to ground and probe each terminal for voltage while operating the master and individual window switches both up and down. If this tests good, it's the window motor. If not, there is open wiring somewhere in the circuit.