The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

1971 Cutlass S exhaust system build

Search this Thread

Old April 9th, 2012, 03:57 PM

1971 Cutlass S exhaust system build

Hi all,

Just started getting parts for my "new" 71' I bought a header back Flowmaster exhaust system (currently has mufflers cut off right beneath the seats (fumes/sound are killing me when I drive for a while, drove it 13 hrs from Chicago to Baltimore like this, brutal) I need something more managable.

In any case I got this kit in and it has all of the U bolts but only 2 hangers for the exhaust tips and 2 funky hangers for the mufflers. (the directions arent the best) And thats where I was hoping to get some advice. Do I need to buy separate hangers for all of those U'bolts? Should I only mount onto the frame? Do I need gaskets of some sort (its all bolt on... but I heard someone saying I needed some, please dont laugh at how much of a newbie I am... ) Any advice, direction, photos, or a similar set up would be greatly appreciated. Its the H frame as well... Its hard enough trying to find good photos of the whole installed exhaust system on this car let alone where to put mounting brackets/hangers/u bolts/etc...

Thanks for the help guys.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
SAM_0659.jpg (52.0 KB, 41 views)
SAM_0682.jpg (74.9 KB, 37 views)
SAM_0683.jpg (50.8 KB, 37 views)
SAM_0684.jpg (41.3 KB, 33 views)
Old April 9th, 2012, 04:34 PM

The hangers should hold the U-clamps that join the mufflers and tailpipes together as they exit the muffler. That hanger and U-clamp will act as the clamp to tighten that union and hold that section of the exhaust system. You should see where the original hanger was mounted from the factory. The tailpipe brackets (at the rear of the car) will then hold the rear-most U-clamps at the trumpet tips if so equipped. If you do not have the trumpet tips and have turn-down tailpipes, the rear U-clamp will mount to that rear bracket and hold only the tailpipe itself. The header collector should (and will) be sufficient to hold the front half of the exhaust system. Make sure to align the entire system and check for adequate clearance before tightening all U-clamps thoroughly. It kinda only goes together one way---if you do it yourself on the floor, be sure to SAFELY support the car and get some extra jackstands to help in holding the system up to the bottom of the car. The second side should be easier than the first!!!
Old April 9th, 2012, 06:37 PM

Thanks Dave,

Yeah I knew the hangers hung the U bolts.. I get the concepts... I guess I figured all the parts would come with the full system... I got 8 ubolts and 2 hangers (the other 2 are for the mufflers), do you know anything about gaskets on it either?
Old April 10th, 2012, 10:11 AM

Gaskets? Where?
Only place you might need gaskets is at the header collecters, if you've headers!
Everything else is slip-fit, connected by the clamping forces!