The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

1971 98 coupe needs help!

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2013, 05:12 PM

1971 98 coupe needs help!

I've had this car pretty much since my high school days in the 70's. A recent electrical fire caused me to to search for and install a salvaged wire harness from the same year. After finished, everything works except for the signal lights and backup lights, (on same circuit according to my factory manual schematic) Tried fuse, flasher, etc. no luck. The schematic shows a 150ohm, 5W resistor in the line of one of the 2 wires going down to the transmission. Its not there now for sure because the replacement wiring harness I got was clipped short there so, I had to splice the wires going to the transmission connector. Anyone familiar with this problem and, is the missing resistor causing the problem? Any suggestions, or, other ideas on troubleshooting very much appreciated! Happy driving ... Steve
Old May 17th, 2013, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by Highschool ride
I've had this car pretty much since my high school days in the 70's. A recent electrical fire caused me to to search for and install a salvaged wire harness from the same year. After finished, everything works except for the signal lights and backup lights, (on same circuit according to my factory manual schematic) Tried fuse, flasher, etc. no luck. The schematic shows a 150ohm, 5W resistor in the line of one of the 2 wires going down to the transmission. Its not there now for sure because the replacement wiring harness I got was clipped short there so, I had to splice the wires going to the transmission connector. Anyone familiar with this problem and, is the missing resistor causing the problem? Any suggestions, or, other ideas on troubleshooting very much appreciated! Happy driving ... Steve
Hi Steve,

Are you sure that the backup lights are hooked up correctly at the column? It's easy to plug them in backwards actually. Also, with the car in the "on" position but NOT RUNNING, try just moving the column through the gears to see if they flicker at all or come on in another gear, etc. It could just be that your switch needs to be adjusted on the column.

As for the turn signals, start at the switch and make sure everything's connected as well. Did you have to replace the harness under the hood AND inside the car? If you replaced the harness under the hood, make sure the small ground wires are mounted (and making contact) on the radiator support.

Just a few, simple thoughts on my part. I have 2 '76 Ninety Eight coupes and LOVE them. Good luck and post some pics of your 98!
John