The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Went to Carisle PA Car show and brought home one

Search this Thread

Old May 15th, 2013, 06:21 AM

Smile Went to Carisle PA Car show and brought home one

Hello Folks - I was on a mission and had in mind a 1964-1967 Galaxie, Pontiac GP or Mercury Comet but nothing spoke to me until I saw this 1967 Cutlass Supreme. I am not an Olds girl but the car was the "best" deal at the show in my opinion as the prices were high and I just didn't see value for money until I laid my eyes on her. She is my daily driver, not a perfect car but perfect for me.

I would love to get some more info on her from the experienced folks on here as you all seem to have a wealth of information and are very helpful with newbies such as myself. She has the original engine (57,000 original miles) 330 V-8 rocket fire or jetfire engine (?) with the a two-speed automatic console shift, 4 barrel carb, and has dual exhaust. I don't think dual exhaust were original in the Olds back then? VIN: 338177M351551.

I have replaced the shocks, fixed a manifold exhaust leak, new heater core and hoses, adjusted the timing and a new vacuum advance, new front and rear wheel CYL’s, hoses, new radiator hose, sway bar links, front and rear brake lines, weather stripping

Last but not least I must have a working radio! Do I have to get one of those retro stereos from JCWhitney or can/should I slap in a new Bose?

Cheers!
Old May 15th, 2013, 06:34 AM
Administrator

Welcome, a Cutlass is a great value for the dollar. If you do a search you will find a great deal of info on your engine and trans. The transmission (switch pitch ST300) is unique because it has a variable vane torque convertor.

Post some more pictures when you get a chance.
Old May 15th, 2013, 06:39 AM

Was that the crystal blue one on top of the hill in the car coral?? Pretty nice car. The engine was called Jetfire rocket and duals were optional (pretty sure) but not standard on the Cutlass.
Old May 15th, 2013, 06:46 AM

Yup! Small world eh? I looked all day Friday but by 10am Sat I had to do the deal on her as there were too many eyeballing her! What a weekend! I was also looking at the 1970 Monte Carlo (white - bottom of the hill near gate 5 against the fence) but I liked this one much better.

DSC02106.jpg

DSC02111.jpg

DSC02110.jpg
Old May 15th, 2013, 06:58 AM

The VIN doesn't tell you much more about the car than what you already know just by looking at it.

338177M351551

3 = Oldsmobile
3 = series (Cutlass F-85)
8 = engine (V-8)
17 = body style (2-door hardtop)
7 = model year (1967)
M = assembly plant (Lansing)
351551 = production sequence number at the Lansing plant

You should post a photo of the body cowl tag as the codes on it can be decoded to determine what other options were original to the car.
Old May 15th, 2013, 07:10 AM
delete

Nice car, congrats. JMO but if your dash isn't cut up I wouldn't cut it up in the name of a nicer stereo.
Old May 15th, 2013, 07:14 AM

Welcome Nice car and one of my favorite years. You are now an official Olds girl. Hang on for the ride. Ken
Old May 15th, 2013, 07:20 AM

Welcome aboard from another newbie Olds owner....

This site is full of great info...

Take a look here for a stereo that should fit your dash without molesting it...

http://www.retrosoundusa.com/
Old May 15th, 2013, 07:24 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by jaunty75
The VIN doesn't tell you much more about the car than what you already know just by looking at it.

338177M351551

3 = Oldsmobile
3 = series (Cutlass F-85)
8 = engine (V-8)
Nope, sorry. For the 1967 model year, the "38" meant Cutlass Supreme. An odd number in the third position (1, 3, or 5) indicated the L6 engine. An even number (2, 4, 6, or 8) was V8. There were also 332xxx, 334xxx, and 336xxx VINs that year that also indicated 3-series V8 cars, but different model designations.
Old May 15th, 2013, 07:30 AM

Welcome to CO

Glad to have you with us. Nice ride.
Old May 15th, 2013, 07:39 AM

Thanks guys for the warm welcome. I will hang onto her as I do have an emotional attachment to her being the first one I really worked for and picked out. I said she would be just a car but I have a feeling about her. I love that I went looking for something in particular and was totally distracted by her that I had to have her. I will not alter the dash then as I know it would really bother me as she is so original. I will get a pic of the body cowl tag. The paint is pretty lousy but she still manages to look really good (if I don't mind saying so ) so I will save the money and invest in a retro radio; thanks JPMDaddy for the link.
Old May 15th, 2013, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Nope, sorry. For the 1967 model year, the "38" meant Cutlass Supreme
Eat my shorts.

I was going by the '67 chassis service manual as I figured it to be about as unimpeachable a source as there can be. I thought the car might have been a Supreme, and it no doubt is, but the CSM makes no mention of the word "Supreme" anywhere in its decoding guide. In the table on page 0-2 under "1967 Model Designation," for Series 33800, it says "Cutlass F-85, V-8 Engine."
Old May 15th, 2013, 07:45 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Welcome. Nice car. I have never owned one but the 67 Cutlass is one of my favorite Oldsmobiles.
Old May 15th, 2013, 07:49 AM

there are other radios- Custom Auto Sound radios are nice looking, but crappy sound...

I'm swapping out a CAS radio for a retrosound unit with Ipod connection in my El Camino and RetroSound gets good reviews on the Elco forums....
Old May 15th, 2013, 07:56 AM

Good to hear. What about the jcwhitney ones? They are considerably cheaper which is a concern to me if the sound is terrible.http://www.jcwhitney.com/1967-1983-o...67-1983j1.jcwx
Old May 15th, 2013, 07:59 AM

I bought this for $20 at a swap meet and stuck it in my '67 Delta 88. The car's original AM radio didn't work, and I wanted FM anyway. The vendor restored old radios and guaranteed his work, and this has worked fine for more than three years now. It's a "period correct" aftermarket radio in that it's from the 1980s, when pretty much all aftermarket radios were made to fit the old-style dash openings.

The downside is that it probably doesn't look as good in the fit-and-finish department as something else might, but the upsides are that it works fine, and it was only $20. Plus, I haven't molested the dash or anything, so something else, including an original radio, could always be put back in.

Old May 15th, 2013, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by justagirl
What about the jcwhitney ones? They are considerably cheaper
Hey, there's cheap, and then there's cheap. Your link points to a $150 radio.

Here's one for $30 from JCW. It even has a USB port so you can play mp3 files from a flash drive.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/pyle-car-st...060y1967g2u0j1
Old May 15th, 2013, 08:04 AM
Old(s) Fart

Eat my shorts.
Sorry, not on my diet.

I was going by the '67 chassis service manual as I figured it to be about as unimpeachable a source as there can be. I thought the car might have been a Supreme, and it no doubt is, but the CSM makes no mention of the word "Supreme" anywhere in its decoding guide. In the table on page 0-2 under "1967 Model Designation," for Series 33800, it says "Cutlass F-85, V-8 Engine."
Very interesting. 1967 is the one CSM I don't have from 64-72... I wonder if yours is an early edition. There were updates as changes were made during a model year. The F-85, Cutlass, Supreme, and Vista were all separate models in 1967, with different VINs.

Any insights, Kurt?

What does the 67 CSM say for a 334xxx VIN? How about 336xxx? Both of those would have come with V8 engines. The 331xxx wasn't a single cylinder engine, for example.
Old May 15th, 2013, 08:06 AM

That looks real good jaunty75 - you did well with that purchase. I don't need anything too fancy so that 30.00 might just do the trick. I don't know how I missed that on on there! I think the rear speaker is 6x9 but the front one appears to be an odd shape and small?

Old May 15th, 2013, 08:07 AM

Good to hear. What about the jcwhitney ones? They are considerably cheaper which is a concern to me if the sound is terrible.http://www.jcwhitney.com/1967-1983-o...67-1983j1.jcwx
That is the same radio I'm replacing - Custom Auto Sound, except that at YearOne, it too was more expensive 6 years ago...
Old May 15th, 2013, 08:07 AM
Old(s) Fart

Hey, there's cheap, and then there's cheap. Your link points to a $150 radio.

Here's one for $30 from JCW. It even has a USB port so you can play mp3 files from a flash drive.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/pyle-car-st...060y1967g2u0j1
The JCW radio is not an exact replacement - just compare the flat faceplate with the curved dash on your 67. THAT'S why it's considerably cheaper.

By the way, I find that I don't even use the radio anymore (since all oldies stations have been purged from the DC market), just MP3s played from my phone. You may want to consider a hidden stereo with an aux jack if that's your main source of music. Much easier than cutting the dash.
Old May 15th, 2013, 08:20 AM

I wonder if yours is an early edition. There were updates as changes were made during a model year. The F-85, Cutlass, Supreme, and Vista were all separate models in 1967, with different VINs.
Mine could be an early edition, but I see that the '67 CSM on the Wild About Cars site is the same as mine as far as this particular page goes. Here's what it looks like in full. Not only is there no mention of a Cutlass "Supreme," there's no mention of a "Vista Cruiser," either. There's also no mention of Toronado.

Old May 15th, 2013, 08:36 AM
Old(s) Fart

Mine could be an early edition, but I see that the '67 CSM on the Wild About Cars site is the same as mine as far as this particular page goes. Here's what it looks like in full. Not only is there no mention of a Cutlass "Supreme," there's no mention of a "Vista Cruiser," either. There's also no mention of Toronado.
That kinda looks like the table in the 1966 CSM, so I'm thinking it's an early edition. The extended wagons are the VCs, but there's at least one obvious typo, as the 33865 is the three seat VC, the 33855 is the two seat version.

Note, by the way, that there was no F-85 deluxe (36-series) in the 67 model year - apparently that was called the Cutlass. The formerly Cutlass (38 series) became the Supreme. Of course, the following dealer brochure isn't the best source of info, either, since obviously the 442 was not a separate model that year.

Old May 15th, 2013, 08:46 AM

That kinda looks like the table in the 1966 CSM, so I'm thinking it's an early edition.
Interesting. The similar page in the '66 CSM at Wild About Cars does look similar to this one, although it does include Jetstar 88, Dynamic 88, and Starfire, as it should. Interestingly, like the '67 manual, it does not mention Toronado or Vista Cruiser (at least not in so many words if "Extended" means Vista Cruiser).

The '68 CSM finally gets it right and includes everything it should (Cutlass Supreme, 442, Vista Cruiser, and Toronado).
Old May 15th, 2013, 08:59 AM
Old(s) Fart

Interestingly, like the '67 manual, it does not mention Toronado or Vista Cruiser (at least not in so many words if "Extended" means Vista Cruiser).
Toro was a 1966 addition, so I'd expect that. Yes, "Extended" means VC - 120" wheelbase vs. 115" for flattops in those years.
Old May 15th, 2013, 09:20 AM
Trying to remember member

Sorry, not on my diet.

Very interesting. 1967 is the one CSM I don't have from 64-72... I wonder if yours is an early edition. There were updates as changes were made during a model year. The F-85, Cutlass, Supreme, and Vista were all separate models in 1967, with different VINs.

Any insights, Kurt?

What does the 67 CSM say for a 334xxx VIN? How about 336xxx? Both of those would have come with V8 engines. The 331xxx wasn't a single cylinder engine, for example.
Joe, of course I have insights!
1. First of all, you *do* have the 1967 Chassis Service Manual, do I really need to point it out to you? Right here:
http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/cgi-b...=9990428634777

2. What Jaunty posted from the Chassis Service Manual has to be taken in context. The point of that page was to breakdown the model numbers. Note the heading says "Body description or name". In most of these cases it was just a description, not the name. As was typical for the era, that chart was a carryover from the previous year and just changed as little as possible to be correct.
B/L is that the purpose of that chart was not to obtain a model name. The shop goes by numbers, not not names.

3. In most cases there was only early editions of Chassis Service Manuals. They did not make later editions. Changes came in the form of Service Bulletins.
Old May 15th, 2013, 09:24 AM

I would love to get some more info on her from the experienced folks on here as you all seem to have a wealth of information and are very helpful with newbies such as myself.
Ask and ye shall receive: Go to Wild About Cars and you will find a wealth of information on your '67!

Wild About Cars. http://wildaboutcars.com. An information supersource, especially Oldsmobile. More Olds content than anywhere else on the internet and continuing to grow.
You'll find Chassis Service Manuals, Product Information Manuals (AKA Assembly Manuals), Inspector's Manuals, and other documents that will contain this and much much more.
Dealer Brochures, magazine ads and articles, and the Automotive History Preservation Society library growing daily.
Free to join, free to learn.
Old May 15th, 2013, 09:32 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by wmachine
3. In most cases there was only early editions of Chassis Service Manuals. They did not make later editions. Changes came in the form of Service Bulletins.
While I realize you did say "in most cases"...

In any case, my issue is what the VIN says and what a DMV would consider a different model, not what the service department thinks. Most service parts would be the same for a 334, 336 and 338 car, for example.

And to the O.P., sorry that we've not only hijacked your thread, but driven it well off the highway and into the weeds. Welcome and nice car.
Old May 15th, 2013, 09:36 AM

[/QUOTE] And to the O.P., sorry that we've not only hijacked your thread, but driven it well off the highway and into the weeds. Welcome and nice car. [/QUOTE]

lol No problem and reading every bit of it. It did come with original manuals and a bunch of stuff I have yet to go through.
Old May 15th, 2013, 10:09 AM
Administrator

Very nice pictures, I see a car with a lot of potential there.
Old May 15th, 2013, 10:33 AM

But wouldn't it be fair to say that 1961 was the exception and not the rule because that was the year that the Cutlass was introduced, and it was mid-way though the model year? I see that the manual you post is for the F-85, not the full-size cars. That's certainly the only year that happened, isn't it? If any situation called for the issuance of a mid-year revision, I would think that the introduction of a new model would qualify.
Old May 15th, 2013, 10:35 AM

And to the O.P., sorry that we've not only hijacked your thread
I've never understood the sorry-we've-hijacked-your-thread thing. She's not the OWNER of it, is she? And what, exactly, have we interrupted? Three more people saying "nice car, welcome to the site?" Good golly, what a disaster. And anyone can still do that, anyway.
Old May 15th, 2013, 11:04 AM

If you are looking for a two shaft radio. I picked up a "Dual". It has decent sound and has a jack for an mp3/ipod.

http://www.dualav.com/mobileaudio/xc4100.php

I paid about $50 for it from that online car stereo place. I forgot the name.
Old May 15th, 2013, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by drop top olds
Crutchfield?

http://www.crutchfield.com/

Except that I don't see any Dual models of this type on their site now. I did see the Dual ****-style radio on their site when I was looking for a radio for my '67 Delta back in 2009.

The Dual website itself doesn't show this receiver, either. I'm guessing they don't make it anymore.

http://www.dualav.com/
Old May 15th, 2013, 11:11 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by drop top olds
If you are looking for a two shaft radio. I picked up a "Dual". It has decent sound and has a jack for an mp3/ipod.

http://www.dualav.com/mobileaudio/xc4100.php

I've bought two of those, both used, at Carlisle for $10 each. I've got one in my 62 right now. Biggest problem is that the shafts are not adjustable and the spacing does not fit the holes in the 62 F-85 dash. I wasn't going to cut my dash, so the Dual is currently tie-wrapped up under the dash. Again, I only use the AUX jack to play MP3s. As stereos go, it's awesomely mediocre, but I can't argue with the price. Ultimately I plan to have my stock radio converted to modern AM/FM, which is why I didn't want to spend a lot right now.
Old May 15th, 2013, 11:15 AM

Yeah. That is it. Hey I did not say it was "great". It was much better than hacking up the dash in my car. Most of the time when I drive my car I prefer listening to the sounds of the engine and the exhaust note.
Old May 15th, 2013, 11:30 AM
delete

Here is one on Ebay that says its adjustable but I don't see how in the pic. Maybe he means the volume & bass are adjustable, but it is affordable. I also like that it doesn't have a cassette because who has those anymore. It has USD and SD card inputs.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Adjustable-S...fa4dc9&vxp=mtr
Old May 15th, 2013, 11:40 AM

It does look like the shaft has some in/out adjustment in one of the pictures. (the one without the face bezel).
Old May 15th, 2013, 11:52 AM

In any case, my issue is what the VIN says and what a DMV would consider a different model, not what the service department thinks. Most service parts would be the same for a 334, 336 and 338 car, for example.
1. What Jaunty posted was from the CSM and was put out specifically for service departments, not the DMV, not consumers, and certainly not archeologists 50 years later. That's what I meant when I said that it is better understood in context.
Face it, if we "talked in numbers", we would not even need model names, as the model (series, sub-series, etc.) numbers are very specific.

2. From what I've been able to tell, the DMV could care less about what is in the "model" field in a title. The VIN is the control info in the title and if the model is incorrect (I've seen countless examples), it is of no concern or consequence. (Though there may be some differences per state).
The title is still the legal title for the car as long as the VIN is correct.

But wouldn't it be fair to say that 1961 was the exception and not the rule because that was the year that the Cutlass was introduced, and it was mid-way though the model year? I see that the manual you post is for the F-85, not the full-size cars. That's certainly the only year that happened, isn't it? If any situation called for the issuance of a mid-year revision, I would think that the introduction of a new model would qualify.
Bingo. It is just that the CSMs of that era were not updated like other documents. Parts and Accessory Catalogs and SPECS brochures for examples.
Old May 15th, 2013, 12:39 PM
Old(s) Fart

I've never understood the sorry-we've-hijacked-your-thread thing. She's not the OWNER of it, is she? And what, exactly, have we interrupted? Three more people saying "nice car, welcome to the site?" Good golly, what a disaster. And anyone can still do that, anyway.
Very simple (and yes, this is another hijack that's my fault - sorry ). We'll have a thread about, say, the motor mounts for a 68 Cutlass. About six posts in, someone asks a question about motor mounts for a 63 D88. Completely different car (especially if the original thread is in the Cutlass sub-forum) and not germane to the original question.

Quick Reply: Went to Carisle PA Car show and brought home one