The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

1969 442

Search this Thread

Old January 8th, 2012, 03:34 PM

1969 442

Hey everyone I'm to this forum. I got my 1969 442 convertible in 1993 from my older brother when I was 17. My brother grew up in the muscle car error and owns a local mechanic shop. Unfortunatelly he got all the talent in restoring cars. Everytime I try something it just comes out terrible, but I'm optimistic and continue to try to restore my car. For example I tried to go over my interior dash with a chrome pen, but the pen tip kept drying out every 3 inches and was a mess. Looked good when it worked though. My car is all original and I've kept it that way. I had the body painted and it runs great. Right now my project is redoing the interior. Just sent out the seats to be recovered and I'm working on restoring the dash without pulling the whole thing apart...I've read many of the posts on hear and it is great to hear your suggestions and also to hear about struggles people have with projects..I don't feel like the only one that experiences frustrations with projects.
Old January 8th, 2012, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by centonze
My brother grew up in the muscle car error
Interesting. I've never been to the muscle car error. Where is it?
Old January 8th, 2012, 04:03 PM

Jaunty - give a newbie a break - he forgot 'new' as his fourth word, and you figured that out!!
Bet he meant "era" - - -
Sometimes ya gotta 'read into' these younger folks lingo - to get it.
Old January 8th, 2012, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Rickman48
Bet he meant "era" - - -
I know exactly what he meant, but can't I have a little fun with him? I mean, how do you misspell "era?" It's a freaking three-letter word!!!

He says his brother inherited all the car restoration talent. I wonder if he inherited the family dictionary, too!
Old January 8th, 2012, 04:37 PM

Welcome to CO, I redid most of my interior it wasn't too hard.
Check out my "Projects".
I used a lot of SEM products for the plastics, POR15 for the floor pan, Fat Mat a heat and sound deaden-er. The dash was in pretty good shape, I used the paint pen too.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...-projects.html

Good luck with your interior.
Old January 9th, 2012, 07:23 PM

Thanks for the link paratrooper. Tough crowd! I'll proofread and edit my postings before I post them. Sad that the first thing I learned on restoring my muscle car was to check my grammar and respect my elders...I thought finding the dahm nuts for the dash was hard, piece of cake compared to posting on this site.
Old January 9th, 2012, 07:28 PM

Paratrooper, the interior looks great! You did a great job. How is the sem holding up? How did u prep the plastic?
Old January 9th, 2012, 08:07 PM

Welcome to the site! There's a lot of 1969 owners here. Please post pictures when you have time. John
Old January 9th, 2012, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by 2blu442
Welcome to the site! There's a lot of 1969 owners here. Please post pictures when you have time. John
will do John. Glad I found this site. Looking forward to reading about everyone's projects
Old January 10th, 2012, 06:03 PM

SEM is doing great, I degreased with POR15's Marine Clean, then SEM's plastic cleaner then Wax and Grease Remover.
I think any good de-greaser would work, I lightly sanded with I think 1000 grit then cleaned again and then used an Adhesion Promoter.

Paratrooper, the interior looks great! You did a great job. How is the sem holding up? How did u prep the plastic?
Old January 10th, 2012, 09:23 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Thanks for the link paratrooper. Tough crowd! I'll proofread and edit my postings before I post them. Sad that the first thing I learned on restoring my muscle car was to check my grammar and respect my elders...I thought finding the dahm nuts for the dash was hard, piece of cake compared to posting on this site.
Welcome aboard from us Canucks too! Actually we're not that tough a crowd. MOST of us are into Oldsmobiles in a supportive and creative manner. BTW, there are lots of us 'older' folks on this site who aren't going to judge you by your spelling. We get it. I think the point Jaunty was making was just to check for any obvious mistakes before you hit "submit" .

Something that can help you screen your post? Use the 'Go Advanced' tab when needed. See it there beside 'Post Quick Reply"? When you enter the advanced dialogue box you can also preview your post to see how it will look when you're done. BTW the advanced tab is also where you need to be to add pictures. Use the 'paper clip' to add them. This site restricts the size of the picture and limits the number to 5 per post. Use the browse button to select images from your 'pictures' on the computer. The server will convert them to proper sizing as long as they're not too big. If they are, the server won't upload them.

Sorry you got a rocky welcome to C.O. It will get better. Oh, FWIW check the caption under Jaunty's name and I'm sure you'll understand where he's coming from ......
Old January 11th, 2012, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by Allan R
MOST of us are into Oldsmobiles in a supportive and creative manner.
I'm into Oldsmobiles in a supportive and creative manner, too. But I'm also supportive of proper use of the English language.

This online forum, after all, is a WRITTEN medium. Clarity of expression is everything. And we're not asking for a doctoral dissertation here, just a level of writing equal to the "see spot run" variety we all supposedly mastered when we passed from the first to the second grade.
Old January 11th, 2012, 04:46 AM

Sad that the first thing I learned on restoring my muscle car was to check my grammar and respect my elders
I would look at it in exactly the opposite way. If the first thing you learned on here was how to properly post a written message, then you've already benefited greatly even if you never learn a single thing about restoring your 442.

It's all about respect. You want us to respect YOU by reading your post, treating it seriously, and responding appropriately. Fine. In return we ask that you respect the people you expect to read your post by doing the most basic proofreading before you post your message so that it is clear and unambiguous and doesn't put the onus on US, the readers, to try to decipher what you're saying.

Thank you.
Old January 11th, 2012, 04:51 AM

check the caption under Jaunty's name and I'm sure you'll understand where he's coming from
Check it now as I've changed it to show where I'm REALLY coming from!
Old January 11th, 2012, 12:53 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by jaunty75
It's all about respect. You want us to respect YOU by reading your post, treating it seriously, and responding appropriately. Fine. In return we ask that you respect the people you expect to read your post by doing the most basic proofreading before you post your message so that it is clear and unambiguous and doesn't put the onus on US, the readers, to try to decipher what you're saying.Thank you.
Wow. You have a huge ego. I have to say first of all, I don't think you have the right to speak on behalf of others who haven't given you that mandate. You certainly don't speak on my behalf. And talk about a long winded run on sentence...This whole thing is about trying to communicate. He's doing that. You even said so in Rickman's post
I know exactly what he meant, but can't I have a little fun with him? I mean, how do you misspell "era?"
That's respect?? I don't think so. You think you're entitled to respect without earning it yourself? Your tenure here just 'gives' it to you? By targeting an improperly spelled word? Unbelievable. BTW, 'the' is very often misspelled as teh - that's how 'easy' it is to mis-spell a 3 letter word! These dialogue boxes don't provide 'spellcheck', so you should expect mistakes. I'm inclined to evaluate my level of respect for others on this forum by what they contribute to the health of the community. Shocking isn't it? That means that sometimes you have my respect, others you sure don't; but I don't base it on your spelling, it's based on knowledge and sharing information effectively. In this case I think you're just being mean. While you may be a very smart fellow and know a lot, IMO your written skills are sarcastic and embody antagonism. Obviously reform or approachability was not on your New Years resolution list.

You seem to be the only one who think we need respect from a newbie. This is hardly the type of welcoming that anyone new to this forum would view as friendly. And, while you may be able to trip the lights fantastic on a keyboard, others may not have that skill - so why don't you acknowledge that and just read between the lines?

You may not like the way something is written, but that hardly entitles you to re-educate us. I do agree that in a WRITTEN communication there is more opportunity for misinterpretation; and clarity is important. ONLY to the extent that someone is capable of it though. I proofread my posts. I still misspell or don't get a point across the way a verbal communication would allow for. That's why we have an interpretative brain. You could have simply written " I don't understand - did you mean era instead of error?' That would have been a polite way to inform, have fun, and ease into the idea that if would be good to check the post before submitting it.

You obviously have some knowledge of communication. It's a two way process that can be impacted by many variables. As an 'advanced' writer? You should be aware that not everyone has the same skills. You also should know that when you write something, it can be interpreted completey differently by others in spite of efforts to promote clarity. Choice of words can also set the 'tone' of the message. Condescending or berating use of CAPITAL letters is also like YELLING at someone, and you know it. Try to remember that others who read your posts form an opinion of you too. Same with me. I hardly expect you to read my post and agree/accept my comments unilaterally. But then I'm only doing what you are attempting to do to centonze - educate you or wake you up to what you are doing!

FYI there are many people on this forum with limited written skills whose composition probably offends you no end. Yet you choose to pick on a newbie? I care more about the ideas centonze is trying to get across than the correctness of his spelling. Get over it and move on.

Check it now as I've changed it to show where I'm REALLY coming from!
I'm so proud of you, really. Now you're no longer the 'resident annoyance' advertising the fact.

And we're not asking for a doctoral dissertation here, just a level of writing equal to the "see spot run" variety we all supposedly mastered when we passed from the first to the second grade
Oh, oh. Here comes Jaunty. See him change his slogan. See him try to prove a point. Look and see. See the word police? He looks like Jaunty. Here comes the word police. Again. Run. Run away. Run away fast. Don't hide. The word police can not run fast. Can you say , "This is dumb"? I can. Such strong expectations of communication.......

Is that what you are really trying to promote around here? Sheesh! From here on in my only posts will be to help/encourage centonze and the others who seem to 'get it'. You can post all you want in response to this. I won't dignify it with a response - so you have carte blanche to show your stuff. Go for it!
Old January 11th, 2012, 01:13 PM

Wow. You have a huge ego.
I might very well. But based on your rather loquacious (there's another word you can look up) response, which I stopped reading about one-third of the way through, I would surmise that yours is no smaller.
Old January 11th, 2012, 05:47 PM

Jaunty, you seem like an educated person. I think you would be smart enough to just drop this issue.
Allen I appreciate your support. I'm really only on here to gain knowledge about my car and learn to enjoy the hobby.
With that said i've been waiting for two days to hear a rant from jaunty. Oh, did i get it...ok, real question. My sunvisor support brackets are in good shape, but very faded. They were originally brushed silver. Has anyone had experience painting these? Is it worth it? Or should i just by new ones? Im nervous about the fit of repros?...jaunty please proofread..thanks
Old January 11th, 2012, 08:27 PM
Just an Olds Guy

..ok, real question. My sunvisor support brackets are in good shape, but very faded. They were originally brushed silver. Has anyone had experience painting these? Is it worth it? Or should i just by new ones? Im nervous about the fit of repros?...
re: visor support brackets: Just want to make sure we're talking about the same thing. This is the part that screws into the upper front (3 screws) and holds the visor support rod? If it is I believe that part is metal and not painted. Is it worth restoring? Absolutely. You could probably take it off and buff it to a nice sheen with a polishing wheel. However, since they're a brushed texture, just make your last polishing passes in the direction of the brushed finish. It should work. Can you post pics of what you've got to work with?

I remember you said your skills weren't all that great yet. How confident are you about working with a rotary wheel polisher? If not so much, you might want to practice on some other scrap metal parts before taking this on. Whatever you do, don't take sandpaper to it. If you don't have a wheel polisher you could always use some very fine steel wool (easy to find at hardware store - don't use the stuff for scrubbing pots) and clean in the direction of the finish.

One thing you wrote though
With that said i've been waiting for two days to hear a rant from jaunty. Oh, did i get it
suggests you might have been 'baiting' him. I hope I'm just reading too much into that. Actually he didn't post a rant - just an unpleasant little tirade using his own loquacious ego centric terms. It was me who posted the 'rant' trying to get him to understand. Too bad he didn't have the patience or respect he expects everyone else to model and read it to the end. Although I don't agree with him in this thread, I do know that in spite of his occasional outbursts and snootiness he actually knows a fair bit and can be a good general resource at times.

Now let's find out more about the dash and interior restoration goals you have planned. FWIW, the 68/69 seem to have the most difficult dashes to work with in the popular 68-72 body style.
Old January 12th, 2012, 05:08 AM

jaunty please proofread
Thanks for the invite, but I think not. How the rest of the world perceives you is your business.

But do know that if you ever again write something as funny as "muscle car error," which was actually much more than a typo but more a "slip" that Freud would have had a field day with, I'll be sure to pounce on it just like before. We can always use a day-brightener.

I think you would be smart enough to just drop this issue.
I don't look at what I did as actually "raising" an issue. All I ever did was make that quick comment, admittedly at your expense, but, hey, I was just ribbin' ya, in the second message in this thread. It was others who decided to make an "issue" out of it.
Old January 12th, 2012, 04:59 PM

Hey allen thanks for the info about the brackets. Your right i should just buff them. I just looked at them...rubbed them a little and they started to look better. Im sure a little time on the wheel and they will look great.

I was going to sand and paint. Bad idea!
Old January 12th, 2012, 05:52 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Hey allen thanks for the info about the brackets. Your right i should just buff them. I just looked at them...rubbed them a little and they started to look better. Im sure a little time on the wheel and they will look great.

I was going to sand and paint. Bad idea!
That's how these projects go. Start small and work your way up. Try the steel wool on them if you have some around. It will surprise you. Doesn't need force - just light repetitive cleaning motions.
Old January 12th, 2012, 08:16 PM

There is TOO much going on here. I am going to check out another post without all the whinning! Hey Centonze, don't let all the B.S get ya down, some Olds people just have Nothing better to do than whine about something petty. Love to see some pics of your 69 442. I stopped reading this post when you guy's started the complaining about spelllllinnn!
Old January 13th, 2012, 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by 2blu442
You rang?

Welcome aboard Centonze.

Jaunty, Please "Eschew Obfuscation"
Old January 13th, 2012, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Jaunty, Please "Eschew Obfuscation"
Jamesbo, please "eat my shorts." I find your decision to criticize only me in all of this very one-sided. I did not start it. Please do a little better job of "moderating."

yourself.
Old January 13th, 2012, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by Homers Hurst Olds
without all the whinning!
It's "whining" with one "n", not two.

I stopped reading this post when you guy's started the complaining about spelllllinnn!
So did we.
Old January 13th, 2012, 05:25 AM

You know, I can't help but notice the highly selective nature of the indignation shown by the likes of Allan R and our esteemed moderator, Jamesbo.

For instance, check out the fifth post in this thread by frequent contributor MDchanic. It's from just last week:

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ds-f-85-a.html

In case it gets erased, I'll quote most of it here:

Originally Posted by terryp
everything you know i dont know anything about it except it looks cool.
Originally Posted by MDchanic
Well, the Vulcan mind meld seems to be out of order today, so we can't just beam all the information into your brain.

The first batch of data I will upload when it is fixed, though, is about something called "punctuation."
Throughout written history, people have used this thing called "punctuation" to make their written thoughts comprehensible to others, or as the jingle from "The Electric Company" went, "to help a sentence make more sense."

Either you have asked us to provide you with "everything [we] know," which, by the way, is a taller order than you might realize, and could exceed the capacity of the receiving vessel, or you have colloquially written "Everything, you know?" which could represent the sort of literary exaggeration in which we all indulge from time to time.

Anyway, in an effort to begin to provide you with everything we know, you may read the 1963 service manuals here. If you're going to work on the car, you should really purchase hard copies (available from automotive literature dealers and on eBay), but you can absorb the information online for free.

I mean, not only is he ripping the OP a new one for his punctuation problems, a sentiment, by the way, with which I agree, but he's basically calling him a dummy as well.

But where is Allan R's righteous indignation here? Why, it's nowhere to be found.

Where is Jamesbo telling him to "eschew" something? Nowhere I can see.

What can we conclude from this?

I know what I conclude.
Old January 13th, 2012, 05:26 AM

It's "whining" with one "n", not two.

So did we.
I just figured that with all the Whining on this thread, it needed two "n's" in it. That's all
Old January 15th, 2012, 07:16 PM

WOW, that was fun!!!
Old January 17th, 2012, 11:17 PM

Welcome to the forum!!!!!
Old January 18th, 2012, 08:55 PM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Welcome to the discussions!

Ted-he who can spell , but an unfortunate 47years young male who cannot type!
Old January 18th, 2012, 09:52 PM
Mak

Welcome from another newb! Great forum here... lots of very helpful people.
69 442, eh? Nice! Any pics?
Old January 18th, 2012, 10:55 PM

Haha wow. Jaunty start another post somewhere, where someone may care. He is looking for help not criticism.

Well Centonze, welcome. Lets see some pics of what your working with! Sounds like a nice car.