The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

1967 Delta 88

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2010, 06:09 AM

1967 Delta 88

Hi sort of new to the site. Got my first olds not too long ago looked like a great starter project. Bought the car from an old lady that lives so close I can see the garage it sat in from my back porch. Never knew the olds was in there just sitting for 15 years. After a little tinkering I got her running. She ran SOOOO sweet. Drove it home and a brake line blew (just my luck). Lost all breaks. Put her in Nuetral and coasted her to my house a short block away. Figured I was still going a little too quick to take it in through the driveway enterance, so I popped the olds over the curb. Found out that nothing slows these battle ships down, I had 3 options.....And not very good ones. 1st nail my 86 k-5 Blazer, 2nd take out 10 or so kids, or the last option was to hit that big 3000 year old pine tree. Poor kids didn't have a chance lol. Here's what I'm starting with.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
010.jpg (68.1 KB, 30 views)
005.jpg (66.0 KB, 26 views)
007.jpg (73.7 KB, 23 views)
006.jpg (74.8 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by 1967delta; May 16th, 2010 at 06:25 AM.
Old May 16th, 2010, 07:43 AM
Past Administrator

Wow! E brake, E brake, E brake. Of course the cable may have been corroded in two or to the shielding so that may not have worked. Sorry to hear about the bad news but it looks as if you will be able to repair it. Good luck.
Old May 16th, 2010, 07:56 AM

Welcome to the site! Ouch! that's a heck of a way to end your maiden voyage, but it does look fixable. Good Luck on your new toy! John
Old May 16th, 2010, 06:40 PM

Yeah I wish it would have been that easy. E brake was non functional. Someday I might tell the rest of the story. thanx for the welcomes
Old May 18th, 2010, 04:56 PM

Found out pretty quick that parts are hard to find. I do find the occational bumper online but NO ONE wants to ship. My rear bump is shot, the front can be saved (I think). Other that that the car came with everything. Pulling the motor next week to tear her down. Wish I could afford a frame off, but can't do that right now. I'll rebuild the motor, do some body work and paint. I'm thinking a pearl white would look gorgeous on the car (has that ugly 60's green interior). What do you guys think?
Old May 18th, 2010, 05:19 PM
GM Enthusiast

Welcome back to the forum! Nice looking car, looks like you got a good starting point to work with. I had a 67 Impala, no post car that looked very similar. Liked it a lot but it was too far gone to fix up.

Good luck fixing her up. Hey, if you ever decide to sell it, let me know!
Old May 18th, 2010, 05:41 PM

At this time I haven't even thought about selling, but who knows if the price is right.
Old May 19th, 2010, 05:56 AM

Welcome. It's definitely a pretty car. Too bad about the brake line.
Old May 19th, 2010, 04:15 PM

Removed all the brake lines and replaced, also brake cylinders. ($52 each for the front cylinders, wtf lol). Borrowed a dealer plate to take her for a quick little spin. Yup probably would run better with gas.... or not. No longer runs. Not sure why yet. Thinking maybe sludge in the gas tank. Also having problems turning over. Only starts if the battery reads almost 13 volts. Had the starter tested, tests 100% any ideas?
Old May 19th, 2010, 04:22 PM

. first check your fuel filter to see if it is cloged. Check your battery to starter cable to make sure all of the connections are tight and clean, next make sure the ground strap from the body to the engine is good and connected at both ends. These are the most common problems.
Old May 19th, 2010, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by 1967delta
Removed all the brake lines and replaced, also brake cylinders. ($52 each for the front cylinders, wtf lol).
Wow, where did you buy them?

Last summer, I redid the brakes all around on my '67 Delta 88, and I found that it really pays to shop around. Rockauto.com has front wheel cylinders for this car for about $35, and autopartsgiant.com and NAPA both have them for less than $30. Rear wheel cylinders are less than $10 at both NAPA and rockauto.

I do find the occational bumper online but NO ONE wants to ship.
Keep hunting. I'm surprised you can't find someone with a bumper who will ship it. Don't they want to sell it?

I know they're oddly shaped and thus not easily packed in a box, but when I needed one once (not for this car), the place I bought it from wire-strapped it to a shipping pallet. Cost me $125 in shipping to get the $100 bumper, but if you need a bumper you need a bumper. It came from Minnesota (to Ohio) and arrived on a semi.

How far away are the ones you've found? I'd consider driving maybe 200 miles or so each way to get one because, as I say, if you need a bumper you need a bumper, and by going to get it in person, you of course save the shipping charges (but incur gasoline costs, which would most certainly be less), and you get to look at the thing in person before committing to buy it.
Old May 20th, 2010, 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by citcapp
. first check your fuel filter to see if it is cloged. Check your battery to starter cable to make sure all of the connections are tight and clean, next make sure the ground strap from the body to the engine is good and connected at both ends. These are the most common problems.
Checked all but the ground, I'll check that tonight. Thanx for the help!
Old May 20th, 2010, 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
Wow, where did you buy them?

Bought at autozone, the police edition was 37 something and the non police were 52.

How far away are the ones you've found? I'd consider driving maybe 200 miles or so each way to get one because, as I say, if you need a bumper you need a bumper, and by going to get it in person, you of course save the shipping charges (but incur gasoline costs, which would most certainly be less), and you get to look at the thing in person before committing to buy it.
Texas and michigan. Both too far to drive. My daily driver is a K-5 Blazer that gets really bad mpg.
Old May 20th, 2010, 06:02 AM

If you haven't already you might consider filling the tank with fresh gasoline and Sta-Bil. If there is 1/4 tank of old gasoline in there it is definitely not good for your engine to burn. You might even want to pump out the old gasoline into a gasoline container and burn it in your lawn mower!
Old May 22nd, 2010, 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by made in the usa
is the battery big enough for the car cca and have you had a load test put on it to make sure it just isn't getting ready to take a crap Ive worked in shops you wouldn't believe how many brand new batteries are junk so don't always trust its a new battery that cant be the issue
Yes the battery is a good one. And just to double check I took the battery out of my K-5 and tried it. Same thing. This week has been hell working late every night, havent been able to play with the olds at all .
Old May 22nd, 2010, 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by Olds64
If you haven't already you might consider filling the tank with fresh gasoline and Sta-Bil. If there is 1/4 tank of old gasoline in there it is definitely not good for your engine to burn. You might even want to pump out the old gasoline into a gasoline container and burn it in your lawn mower!

Doing better than that, I'm dropping the tank to clean it out and blow out all the fuel lines. Is there a way I can tell if this car has been converted to unleaded fuel? And if it hasn't what all has to be changed?

Dropped the gas tank today, sending unit is rotted out. Bottom of the tank is filthy! Taking it to the car wash later lol. Hey madein the usa, read your thread about the 73 buick lesabre sending unit. Thanx for posting should help me out a lot!

Last edited by 1967delta; May 22nd, 2010 at 04:09 PM.